ORDERED Hurricone Cat 2 Protein Skimmer

king_neptune

To run it as an external skimmer...can the plumbing go up and over the rim of the sump and back down?
or must I drill a hole in my sump's bottom to place the skimmer there?

meowzer

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3283734
To run it as an external skimmer...can the plumbing go up and over the rim of the sump and back down?
or must I drill a hole in my sump's bottom to place the skimmer there?
From what I have been told.....the water going from the skimmer....into the sump....needs to be level....so I will be drilling a hole in the side of my sump...
if you use a pump to Feed the skimemr...that CAN go over the side of the sump

meowzer

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3283775
Your cat could sleep inside that thing.
LOL...he could too....we are taking measurements....we have to totally re-do under the tank....I have to move the sump ALL the way to the right .....the cascade on the right is gonna come out from underneath, and go next to the cabinet on the outside, but you can't really see it....the phosban reactor will just be moved forward
PHEWWWWWWWWWWW....I'm sweet talking hubby into a Home Depot run tonight
It's 45 minutes away...lol....while there we could have dinner haha

meowzer

I'm off to HOME DEPOT
....be back in a few hours....LOL
Skimmer will be installed tomorrow.....(I hope)

meowzer

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3283804
Meowzer..... I promised you were getting a real skimmer. They are monsters......
LOL..OMG...I KNOW.....I read the measurements, but when we took this thing out of the box...I WAS LIKE AHHHHHHH
Well we are home from CRAPPY HOME DEPOT....do you know they don't have bulk heads
BUT, my husband said he got enought stuff to do what we have to do....wait..let me make sure he's not looking before I say the next thing...LOL....I HAVE FAITH IN HIM ...there I said it....LOL
$110 later hoses, tubing and a bag full of parts....LOL....the skimmer goes in tomorrow

meowzer

Well some of the stuff is now glued.....
off to bed....tomorrow is THE DAY YAYYYY
i'm actually nervous.....this skimmer is so big it scares me
OHHHHH....I bought a watchdog at Home depot LOL....YOU KNOW....one of those water detectors

good nite all...

meowzer

OK GUYS.....the project begins......keep your fingers crossed....LOL...I will be updating thru this
Canister filter is moved.....and all plug ins are being mounted on the walls...

meowzer

GOOD NEWS...we're still married LOL
Things are moving along.....a lot of mods and adjustments, but we are getting there......Bloody Mary time

meowzer

helpppp.....Everything is hooked up and running......DOES anyone know how high the water level is supposed to be in the skimmer body??????? it's not listed anywhere

meowzer

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3284074
I believe I've read they work best around 6-8 inches.
6-8" in the skimmer????? Do you see my pic? Where do you think the water level should be IN the actual skimmer
LOL..we have a leak...gotta work on that

acrylic51

Never run the skimmer right away at manufactured spec water level. The skimmer will take a few days to break in, and running it higher up in the body, you run a good chance of it overflowing....
Meowzer the install looks very good!!!!! Keep your eye on the water level, and don't anticipate to see it pull mad junk day 1. Manufacturing oils and such have to be washed away. That's why alot of people will run their skimmers in a vinegar solution to try to speed up the break in period. Honestly I would leave it where you have it set now, but keep your eye on it for a day or 2 and if needed raise the water level in the body slowly, and make slow adjustments....The affects of the adjustment won't be instant, so make sure you don't adjust and have to leave right away.
Your "beast" looks good!!!!!!

meowzer

LOl....I thank you on behalf of the hubby....LOL...he worked like a dog for me today

I will watch it closely....there were some leak issues.....the instructions stink...lol....I find that with a lot of protein skimmers though

They send it semi put together, but don't tell you ..that you have to take it all apart to glue it back together....why would we know this LOL.....
I appreciate all your help......I HOPE....all is smooth from here

acrylic51

I know your frustration....probably the best skimmer instructions I've dealt with are MRC skimmers.....they are right on their site as well.....