OT- Anyone else on this Atkin's Diet??

broncofish

Somebody has to say it...The Atkins diet is about as healthy as eating bigmacs 3 times a day. It is great for short term weight loss, but most people who lose on the atkins diet gain it back, plus raise cholesterol. The best way to lose weight, is a balanced diet, excersize, and excersize some more. Doing little things like eating soy products(natural metabolism enhancer) and lifting weights(burn more fat long term over cardio) will work a lot better. Just IMO though, I guess diets are the same as tanks
~Your Diet~ ~Your Choice~

wrassecal

I tried the Atkins diet once but I'm a Dr Pepper addict. I thought well I could just have one and it's like smoking I was right back to it. Then I decided to try weight watchers where you count the points and a can of Dr Pepper is only 4 points so if I skipped breakfast and lunch I could have dinner and 3 Dr Peppers! whoohoo - then I realized that probably wasn't real healthy so I modified the diet. I found out that if you eat only protein for breakfast you don't get as hungry during the day and I just eat less. I could still stand to lose 15 lbs or so.:( The zone is good if you are a movie star and have all your meals delivered to you......no food in the house.....and a personal trainer....on the zone the amount of food of any variety you get is pretty scarce. Good luck but honestly I've seen pics of you and you are not fat!

The best diet in the world is the MCRD San Diego diet (Parris Island diet on the east coast) ... the Marines out there know what I mean !!!
I went to boot camp at 205# of fat (my maximum allowable weight). 13 weeks later, I left at 175# of muscle. :D
Now with the sedintary computer life, I have gained some weight back. Some key tips I have learned along the way are as follows:
Fad diets that involve

[hr]
are worthless.
Cabbage soup - water weight loss and colon cleansing
Atkins - the theory has merit - no carb intake means the body will have to work harder to convert food to energy. BUT, instead of eating a deli sandwich (w/ 2 slices of whole wheat bread at 20g of carbs each), I can eat a Classic Triple from Wendy's with 1230 calories, 510 calories from fat, 57g of fat, 21g of saturated fat, and 72g of protein ? The only good thing I see there is the 72g of protein.....with no bun.
The best LONG TERM diet I have found is simple. Park as far as you can from you work building so you can walk in, and walk to lunch if possible (you burn as many calories walking a mile as running), eat according to the serving size on foods and only eat 1 serving, COUNT CALORIES and if trying to lose weight try to hit 1500/day, drink TONS of water (try for a gallon a day - no Cool-Aid). The water will keep your stomach full making you feel full and not hungry. Eat multiple small meals vice the half a box of cereal, the supersize value meal, and half the tray of lasagna with half a loaf of buttered bread. Basically, nibble on carrots (non fat ranch dressing is ok IN MODERATION) and go for natural foods. For example, it takes more energy for your body to breakdown whole wheat bread than it does white bread. Cut back complex carbohydrates (potatoes and pasta). Cut back dairy. Not because you gain weight, but it helps you RETAIN weight (packs up your track). Natural peanut butter (the kind with the film of grease on top) has been proven to be better for the body than Jiff and Peter Pan. Fruits and vegetables have both a cleansing effect and contain relativly no calories.
And the biggest thing is to understand what you read !!! Understand that a calorie is NOT something food HAS, but something food REQUIRES.
A calories is a measure of enery expenditure. To put things in perspective, a 150# person will burn about 100 calories per mile. Look back at that Wendy's Classic Triple earlier...1230 calories...that equates to 12.3 miles to burn that off...that is why I doubt some of Atkins' wording (cutting carbs is a good place to start though). Most people will burn more calories and lose weight faster lifting weights for 1 hours than running for 1 hour. It all depends on your metabolism.
Well, now that I have worn the letters off of my keyboard, I will wish you all good luck in your endeavors and weight loss !!!
Oh, 1 last thing...two 8oz chicken breasts have about double the protein and half half the calories as a 16oz steak !!!

i like fish

Also, weight lifting increases metabolism. Even if you only put on 5 pounds of muscle, you burn more fat/calories while you are sitting at the puter!

ryebread

This is not going to be any type of long term thing. I gained about ten pounds already since I got fitted for my Tuxedo and the fiancee thinks her arms are fat and wants to lose 10-15lbs. Short term.
I think it is working so far and I like salads so it is not a huge problem. Once I get a little free time I will be back at the gym and eating my macaroni and mashed potatoes again. ;)

wrassecal

Am I the only one this is happening to? Every time I pull up this thread I get one of those d@#n pop ups that about going on some diet.....that is freaky, never on any thread has that happened. Are the internet diet police monitoring this thread or somethin?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I hate the Atkins diet. There's nothing you can eat except fat, meat, eggs and cheeze! No soda, not even diet.
I did do it for awhile, and lost weight, but my cholestreal jumped from excellent to borderline. I quit it. Also, the minute you eat a carb, you gain all the weight back. LOL...so, as soon as you put that piece of wedding cake in your mouth, expect to bust out of your pants. :D
Diets suck; the best way to stay in shape is burning that blubber off with activity/excersise.

Originally posted by Beth
Diets suck; the best way to stay in shape is burning that blubber off with activity/excersise.

And let us all remember.......
"--- is a strenuous, calorie-burning activity which can make for very motivated weight loss."
Notice the quotes. This was taken from a weight loss article featured in a "male" magazine.

kelly

mikegronholz,
I got out of the Marines 30 yrs ago, this coming March 3rd. After boot camp and infantry training I had gained 12 lbs to weighed a whopping 175 lbs. I am at 187 now, 12 lbs more that I left Marine Corps.
I hope in the next few months to be back to that weight again. I will see how it goes. I guess if I would get out of this chair and exercise, I could have already been there.

ntvflgirl

Atkins is actually a very healthy diet. It's not true that you don't have carbs. You have 20 a day for the first 2 weeks, then you start upping your carb level until you reach your Critical Carbohydrate Level for Living. For some people thats 50 carbs a day. I've been on it faithfully Since January 4th, and have already lost 35 pounds. Rye...tell your fiance to visit this site...it's my lifeline, and she will get tons of info and support there...tell her to look for Ladybug...that's me.
http://www.escribe.com/health/atkins/bb/
HTH

glinton

I am not personally impressed with the diet. There is no "silver bullet" when it comes to losing weight. Eat a healthy diet. If you eat carbs, eat complex ones which the body uses more energy to break down. The change you are looking for needs to come about by a change in lifestyle (eating healthy and working out on a regular basis).
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.
It is kind of like our hobby, there are no quick fixes, but regular routine maintenance.
My 2 cents.

plum70rt, I'll take you up on that! :D Also, I went to the doctor yesterday adn the scale said I was 182! :eek: Uh-oh.
And Rye, are you going to post the pics of your wedding day? I would love to see them!

elfdoctors

A few observations.
The atkins diet doesn't make much nutritional sense. It goes against most other nutritional guidelines. It is deficient in calcium and fiber and obviously high in fat and cholesterol. It doesn't teach you how to eat after you have lost weight.
However, it tends to be a relatively easy diet to stay on. The high fat and protein content tends to cut down some people's cravings so it seems to be more effective for some people. If someone loses weight their lipid profiles/cholesterol almost always improve. I consider it to be safe only if someone is actually losing weight. I usually recommend a fiber and calcium supplement with it. I have recommended it to patients as it is safer than most medications or surgery.
IMO, the Weight Watchers points system is a better diet to stay on long term.
I am also a strong believer in exercise. Most people overestimate how many calories they burn up. The average person has to run/walk/jog around 35 miles to lose one pound of fat!

saltymom

Originally posted by elfdoctors
The average person has to run/walk/jog around 35 miles to lose one pound of fat!

HOLEY CRAP! Thats not what I needed to hear!! LOL

saltysyd

Personally, I'm a supporter of Gastric bypass surgery, but only if you have tried many other options over a prolonged period of time with no sucess. After watching my mother and her younger brother be at least 100-200 pounds over weight most of their lives this surgery was a god send for them. They both had it 2-3 yrs ago and are now fine and very happy with the results. My uncle is only 30 yrs old and was pretty much a home body because he was ashamed of his looks and in today's societyno females would give him the time of day and he had only had one girlfriend his whole life and was scared of being alone forever and dying young if he stayed fat. This surgery has changed his life!!! 2 yrs later he is about 200lbs lighter is married and has a 5 month old daughter. Yes, there are risks involved but they are minimal and there are just as many risks disease and death if you stay fat. If you are a qualified canidate for this surgery I say go for it, it will change your life!!! :cheer: