OT - No BS Guys, we are going to war ...

ophiura

Originally posted by lilbuddy
i heard on the radio this morning that there is going to be draft. Is this true? anyone else here this? I never thought this would happen.

No, there are no plans for the draft. It is a scare tactic bill by Charles Rangel and John Conyers to discourage any military action at all. A "if senators have to send their kids off to fight, then they won't send anyone at all" argument. I just love politicians. I guess, regardless of the reasons, it is just not worth fighting for something. It has about a 1% chance of passing.

broncofish

I'm active duty Air Force as well, and have not heard jack, and it is not such a big deal they have had stop loss like 3-5 time since I've been in and I don't recall losing massive amounts of life. They need to do it this time because not enough people believe it's a just cause to go running out and enlist, and hell the people in the military don't beleive it's a just cause so given the chance a lot of them would jump ship. Just my .02

ophiura

Originally posted by lilbuddy
I wish Colin Powell was President. Wow i got that off my chest.

If you think Bush doesn't have enough backbone, I don't believe you would be happy with your choice. He is not a big hawk. A great man, for sure, but not a big hawk.
On other issues:
IMO, N. Korea, or any country with nuclear weapons is a different ballgame all together. If you go to war with them, you better destroy them and fast. You better use everything you have. Because they now have the big guns too. For this reason, you don't rush into a war with them.
Now the US has been in S. Korea for a long time. We've fought in Korea before. Defended people in that area before. Know that there are civilians at risk. Please don't ask us to think beyond our own borders. Americans have died doing just that in many wars.
IMO, when you are dealing with a sworn enemy that is on the verge of getting nuclear weapons, you get in there and destroy that ASAP. IMO, and to continue with movie titles, Iraq is, IMO, the "clear and present danger."
Also, I think there is a big difference between people "seeking asylum" and people looking for a place to work hard and make dreams come true- the "chance to make it."
Just my .02

times - we seem to be pretty much on the same page which is quite refreshing. I enjoy sharing beliefs with others.
Grumpy - the answer is yes...and no. The Sod Donald Rumsfeld only AUTHORIZES the use of stop-loss. It is up to your individual secretary to instate it. So, with that being said, the Secretary of the Navy has signed off on it for the Navy and Marine Corps. The Army, I was told, was signed off on and had not heard from the Air FOrce...until now. Keep us posted.
Bronco - the reason for stop loss is due to loss of life and massive exodus from the armed services because no one wants to go fight. Those are the reason for stop loss. The airforce may not enact it on all occupations, but may on others like C-130 or F-15 pilots, crew, and powerplant.
I started this thread simply to inform the population that are not normally "in the loop". Political views are just that VIEWS but if anyone in the armed forces is interested, I will be glad to give you the DMS DTG so you can read the message. email me gronholzml@noc.usmc.mil

broncofish

Originally posted by mikegronholz
Bronco - the reason for stop loss is due to loss of life and massive exodus from the armed services because no one wants to go fight. Those are the reason for stop loss. The airforce may not enact it on all occupations, but may on others like C-130 or F-15 pilots, crew, and powerplant.
I

Hey I agree with you on the reasons for it, I'm just saying that in my almost ten years in the military I have not seen a loss of life that has required a stoploss. Be ther no mistake if we intend to go in for a "Regime Change" I prefer to call it "assasination" and against the "geneva convention" we will lose sons and daughters of this nation.

timsedwards

Hey Guys,
You havent offended me at all, I love America as well, I have been to your country and it rocks! The only frustrating thing is that it is a stereotype of Americans that they love their country, maybe not a bad thing, in the UK we sadly have a culture of hating ourselves, lol.
Yes sadly asylums seekers are different, we areplagued with them and genuine ones I would have no problem with, but you would not believe how innondated we are with bogus ones from eastern europe. They costs us taxpayers millions, they come all the way through perfectly good countries - France/Holland/Germany/Italy - just we are too soft and give them too fair a deal - they jsut have to be in our country and we give them free accomodation, healthcare, education the lot. Oh well.
And lilbuddy, If i wasnt in the UK i cant think of another country I would rather live in than the states! Sadly our relationship with you guys (which is a close one:D ) is pulling us away from Europe, but they smell and speak different languages anyway!:rolleyes:
I must admit I was too hasty in my 'beyond your own borders' post, i do apologise, but you must appreciate in that I would NEVER detract from the catastrophe of 9/11, we have been hit by terroism by the Northen Ireland problem for 25 years, lived during the Blitz, so we sadly know what it is to lose lives.
However, I am very confident our countries will stand side by side with these issues - which is a good job because the rest of europe (especially Germany and France) couldnt give a stuff about Iraq and N korea!
Tim. (its not times - my name is Tim Stuart Edwards - hence timsedwards!! :)

timsedwards

Not the only bad thing, hermit crabs are $10 each!!!!!!! Marines are so expensive over here! WHich is why in many instances the cure could be to pile my tank with live rock, but that would cost a bomb!!!
Yes I once said cheers mate to a guy in a shop in tennessee and he thought I was referring to mate as in a sleeping partnet ina a zoo!!! So I deliberately havent said it on this forum!!! LOL!
Ill second that lilbuddy, hope we never go to war, being a Christian I must hope that, but I am also a realist and if every diplomatic avenue has been explored, in order for the lives of innocent people, what has to be done has to be done.:(
Take care guys,
Tim.

jim672

Mike,
I can't adequately express my gratitude to you and all the men and women of the Army Forces for keeping me and my family safe.
If you do go anywhere go carefully.......
Jim

ophiura

Originally posted by timsedwards
but they smell :rolleyes:

Man, I almost choked on my bologna sandwich! HAHHAAAA
And no worries. The French and Germans can be all talk, but that is becase they know eventually the Brits and US will handle things. It is a luxury they have, and make the most of, I am afraid.
My father, who came from Germany after the war, would say the same thing....before all the Germans jump on me.
Of course, still just my .02

nybyrne

Well brother I will see you over there. Just got back from the stans now I go to the big sand box. This is my second gulf war trip, 10 years later but mabey this time we can finish the job.
SSgt J Byrne
Fire Fighter
USAF

jrb384

Mike,
nothing like being jammed in a hot trak for days on end. former 0331 here. Good luck and godspeed.
the heckling between n. and s. korea has been ongoing for years, skirmishes break out every so often in the dmz and that never hits any news. the biggest concern now is how to maintain support from the s. korean govt and people. the accidental killing of the 2 school girls has really got the people in an uproar so the main concern now is assuruing that the US is a friend and not an "occupying" force. any war will affect the lives of 40-50 milion people, so its not something either side is going to rush into.
IMO if N korea had the oil fields that IRAQ has, we would be at war tommorrow.
it is also MO that if everyone had a reef tank we would all just get along.

good luck to you mike! and all those that are going to the war, we all wish you the best and hope the war will end soon.

broncofish

Originally posted by jrb384
IMO if N korea had the oil fields that IRAQ has, we would be at war tommorrow.
it is also MO that if everyone had a reef tank we would all just get along.

IMO if Tibet had oil fields we would have went to war 30yrs ago....but it is funny to see politicians pass things off as the RIGHT THINGS TO DO! When really it is the RIGHT THING$ TO $ DO!

saltyrich

I'm not the greatest supporter of G.W. Bush, but I would not go as far as saying that he has no backbone. Mistakes were made in dealing with 9-11, but ....... As I stated earlier, my dad works for the Dept. of Defense. I can't be specific because it's sensitive info I shouldn't really have and its a public forum here. I can ashure you all that there are covert and overt operations going on all over the globe relating to 9-11 and other terrorist activities. The old days of black ops and info extraction by whatever means necesaary are back and working. The Middle East is a hairy place right now for shure. Fundamentalists are not afraid to die for their causes. But, it doesn't matter if you're afraid or not when the hammer swings down does it? As for N. Korea, they have a handful of nukes developed, but not as sophisticated as the more developed nations. It appears as though the UN security council has jumped into the game according to the news this morning. I think they are going to give them a few weeks to disband this situation or it looks as though the US will be on 2 fronts. Sit back and watch the action kids, its gonna happen. Ten years from now Mike's gonna be in a movie fighting the strong fight: and winning it.

B

bobby & kari

semper fi bro i was in the corps and fought in the persian gulf war i was in alpha battery 1 12 just kick some ass and come home safe drink plenty of water and stay cool bro you will be ok
cpl clark usmc

broncofish

Hey Saltyrich not a whole lot gets me irritated...but to say sit back and watch the show kids, is about the damn most ignorant thing I have heard in a long time. Do you know that during the last war in Iraq we bulldozed(literally with a bulldozer) thousands of Iraq soldiers, some still alive, then brought in road pavers(I think that is what they are called) to make sure there were no arms sticking out, and all the blood was covered up,and then reporters were allowed to come forward, so that way the American people did not see pictures of blood, and guts(Pentagon controls all flow of information during war, if you don't believe me do a little research). War is not bloodless like young people think, and War is not a show, and most Muslim people are not fundamentalists.