OT: Peace or war?

wrassecal

Originally posted by wamp
ozadars
Also, I know the responses I will get for this next statment but, if i were not oil we were after, why were the oil fields the first to get our attention??
I know, you'll say "To prevent enviromental dammage, and to allow the Iraqi people to have their resource intact".... But we will see...

I didn't notice that the first thing that got our attention was the oil fields. I and those around me were really wondering what was going on when the first
thing we paid attention to was a building in Bagdad. Wouldn't it be strange if we find out we got Saddam with the first strike of the war? I for one hope the US, UK and the Iraqis benefit from the saving of the oil wells. Why do people think it would be wrong for the Iraqi people who will now be able to benefit from their country's resourses use some of those resources to help their liberators offset the cost of liberating them?
On another note, my son in the Marines called me on the first day of the war. He said they had been to the bunkers in gas masks 6 times that day, but that he was safe. It was the best phone call I ever got:D
As far as the protesters in the US are concerned. They don't seem to have much sense do they? We had a few of them here on campus the other day but it got cold so they went into the student union for hot chocolate. Did anyone see the report about the one who fell off the Golden Gate Bridge and died? do you think that persons family is saying..."he died for what he believed in?" Do you think that person trained, swore an oath to country and right to protest, even that he/she thought that stopping traffic in San Fransisco with a Peace sign was protecting the country? What's peaceful about stopping traffic and getting yourself killed by getting too close to edge of a bridge? I can only hope that was reported in error.

chevytrks

I personally think that the people protesting the war, should also in some way be thankful that we have dedicated soldiers who will fight and die for there country and fellow americans. Can they stop the protests and give thanks, and pray for the soldiers and the innocents in Iraq?

flamingkingofhe

I believe that war at this time is the best option I prefer peace but at this point I think war is necassary. As I was listning to radio the other day I heard a woman voice a good opinion she said that she at first didn't agree with this war but she does support the soldiers and what makes her really sick is those people who don't want to go to war but when we do go to war they don't support the soldiers and people risking there life for there country. It is ok not to want war or to want war this is America you have your opinion but when we do go to war you should at least support the soldiers across seas! If there is anybody out there today who doesn't agree with the war that is ok but if you don't support those who are dying for this country than you need help. All of our soldiers and people of this world are in my prayers.
God Bless!!

slick

Protesters IMO are people who don't like war at all. They are people that hate violence. They are people that don't realize the threat to themselfs and other people. They are people who try to force thier opinions on others who don't believe the same. They stop traffic on the streets. I would like to ask these same people how they felt on 9-11? Were they mad, sad, scared? Everyone is intitled to thier own opinion. But there is no need to block traffic, or cause problems. One thing to remember even if you don't support the war you should support our troops.

waterwolf

Originally posted by ozadars
%99 of Turkish are againts war

I wonder if you would feel the same way if Iraq sent a scud missile into your country? Or invaded Turkey instead of Kuwait. Or attacked you because of your religious or ethnic background. Or killed innocent Turkish civilians. Or used a chemical or biological weapon in your country. Would you just sit there and ask them to stop it? We are not going to sit back and let another Hitler ruin this world. If we didn't go to war, saddam would surely launch some type of terrorist attack at the US. Remember 99% of the Arab nations truely hate Americans, they always have and always will.
Notice how the US is taking precautions to hit military and command buildings, even going out of their way to avoid hitting civilian sites. Now imagine if Iraq was attacking the US, they would kill every man, woman and child and have no remorse.

fishead

Ive been following the UN meetings closely since november and its my understanding that the main objective of the war is to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction. Ive seen no evidence yet that they exist. The UN inspectors called the evidence presented by Secretary of State Powell forgeries. We are 4 days into the war now and still no evidence. I tried to post a poll to see how many of you believe these weapons exist but i guess the moderaters decided to kill it. I beleive President Bush jumped the gun and i voted peace. Before you call me a bad word remember this. I am a veteran.

waterwolf

Originally posted by fishead
Ive been following the UN meetings closely since november and its my understanding that the main objective of the war is to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction. Ive seen no evidence yet that they exist. The UN inspectors called the evidence presented by Secretary of State Powell forgeries. We are 4 days into the war now and still no evidence. I tried to post a poll to see how many of you believe these weapons exist but i guess the moderaters decided to kill it. I beleive President Bush jumped the gun and i voted peace. Before you call me a bad word remember this. I am a veteran.

they weren't supposed to have scud missiles either. Surprise, Saddam lied!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
ozadars, if Turks are against war, why have Turkish troops just moved into Northern Iraq?? Which also happens to be one of the richest sites of Iraq oil fields as well as the Turkey’s enemies, the Kurds???
This seems a sign that Turkey is not exactly peaceful. What business do Turks have in Iraq at this point? Turkey refused to join the "Coalition of the Willing" when they had the chance. Why? Could it be that Turkey has their own interest in valuable Iraqi resources that joining a US-lead coalition might impede?? Especially if they had allowed our forces to stage in Turkey, where those same forces would be there, on site in Turkey, when and "if" Turkey decided to take actions that might be in Turkey's self-serving interest, rather than Iraqi’s or the US lead Coalition? Like attempting to seize these northern Iraqi oil fields? I know what Turkey is saying, it’s a humanitarian move…..well, do troops usually move in the midst of a war to provide humanitarian relief? Now US Special Forces have to move into that area, detracting from what we need to be doing in the overall war mission, just to keep any potential greedy “neighbors” of Iraq from picking them off now that they are vulnerable.
Honestly, I’m not trying to initiate a flame on you. But I would be interested in your perspective and what is generally being said in Turkey about this situation and the movement of Turkey’s troops in to Iraq.

fishead

I'm sorry but i havent seen anything on the news yet about them having scud missiles, only alsamude 2 missiles that breached the legal flight distance by only a couple miles and were debated that wouldnt exede the distance with the extra weight of a war head and finaly agreed upon to be destroyed and more than half were destroyed before the war broke out.

mchandler

i probably won't make friends saying this, but this is what i believe. i support war. never under-estimate the power of un-informed people in large groups. Not all people who support peace are un-informed, but I believe a great many just follow the lead of some influential people. Ask some of the protesters anything about Iraq, who are some of their neighbors? What was the purpose of the no fly zones, what was the role of the united nations since the '91 gulf war? Does anyone know he blocked the un from inspections in '91? How about Saddam's treatment of his people? Does anyone know anything about the bath party, or how they operate? Learn why we are at war, learn something about it besides what you hear on the 30minute nightly news. THEN, if you still feel there should be peace, I will respect your opinion. by the way -- i'm not making any statements about anyone who posts on this thread. thanks.

fishead

well said mchandler but i cant support a decision that isnt accepted by the UN, NATO, EU, Arab League,...ect.

ozadars

Beth,
I mean Turkish people are againts war between Iraq-Turkey, but they dont really care about America-Iraq war. They dont want Turkey to join the war, but Turkish Grand Nation Assembly makes the decisions. I dont know if they (Turkish Grand Nation Assembly) made a false or a write decision but... we ll see later. I wish war will have a happy ending. I am bored of this war thing, i am just 15 :rolleyes: I see lots of war news on the TV, i would like to talk about my reef, corals, fish and inverts and thats the reason why i am here, but u continue to talk,
Let the peace be with u ;)
Take Care
Selim
TURKEY

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Selim, :D That's fine. We are all here to talk about fish, but you can't blame anyone for wanting to get this war situation off their chest here.
I though you might be pretty young, so I won't hit you up for a good debate on this issue. ;)
Everyone is hoping and praying for peace.
Peace 2U2

blueberryboomer

Who in there right mind would choose war over peace?
I choose peace, but I will support our military and our President in this war, because I believe everyone should have peace, and the freedom to live like the Americans do.
I felt such wonder when I saw the Iraqi people on the news yesterday dancing and shaking the troops hands.
I say a prayer every night for all the brave men and women that are fighting for our country. God Bless them, and God Bless
America. I'm proud to be an American!
Lisa:(

rickycobra

I know that peace is the way to go, but if Saddam had shot vx nerve gas missles at the U>S>A I doubt that anyone would protest war then. Go USA

blueberryboomer

I agree with rickycobra, It drives me nutts watching all these proteters, what would they be saying if Saddam would have done something like that, then they'd be screeming that President Bush should have done something about it. Lisa

reefnut

Were to start?
Yes, after 9-11 people were mad at the gov for not preventing it and now they are mad because we are trying to prevent the same from happing again.
fishead, if you and your children were under the dictatorship of Saddam I wonder if this war would be healthy?
If these protesters had to live under the dictatorship of Saddam I wonder if they would still be protesting the war?
This is a cruel man with cruel followers.
As far as the Oil, are we not able to purchase Iraq's oil? If not I was unaware of that. And if we are, why would we be at war for their oil?
Iraq is wealthy due to the oil but only a hand full of people benefit from it.
I for one support the war, our president and our troops. God bless the USA and what we stand for. "Freedom"

fishead

reefnut are you comparing this war to the american revelution? which country was it that came to rescue us from an opressive regiem?

reefnut

Originally posted by fishead
reefnut are you comparing this war to the american revelution? which country was it that came to rescue us from an opressive regiem?

What?