OT: Peace or war?

slick

In recent new of some soliders being captured and shot to death in cold blood I would like to take a moment of silence................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Even if you hate this war, you should at least feel for the families of the men and woman who are dieing for what they are doing.

josh

First off, I fully support the troops and think what they are doing is just! As for the protesters, well these folks should have gone over to be human shields instead of disrupting the peace any more in our country.
ReefNut- as for the oil of Iraq, no they aren't producing much at all. I heard on TV only 900,000 barrels a day ( which isn't much at all ). I agree that it's the oil that will rebuild Iraq, the US dosen't want the oil. If so we could have just taken it the first time around. I am really dumb founded by that assertion anyway. I mean the protesters always say the war is for oil. But the US gov. does not own any oil, it's all privatly held so that just dosen't make any sense.
Sorry to get off on a tangent, that wasn't all meant just for you ReefNut :)

wamp

But the US gov. does not own any oil, it's all privatly held so that just dosen't make any sense.
But two recent presidents money came from oil and almost half of the contributions to their campaign came from people directly associated with oil companies.
I ain't sayin that this war is over oil.. But it does play a big factor. Millions of protestors all over the world think so at least! I strongly belive, that it does play a role... It is my belief though, so take it for what it is worth.. :)
All debating aside, we will NEVER know everything involved. We ONLY know what they want us to. Even on CNN as we speak, you can hear the reporters say,"we can not comment at this time on that". So, they are being told what they can and can not say. It is part of the deal that allows them to have access. It is all propaganda. I for one, think they are directly hendering our efforts over there. Can I stop watching... Nope... But do I think it is right for people to have that kind of access to our troops.. Nope...
So, to sumerize... Is it all about oil... I doubt it.. Does oil play a role? Probably.. Should CNN have first acess when a soldier dies... Nope.. Will I continue to watch... Yep...
Just My .02 here.. I fully support our troops... But right now, I do not support our govt. I think the war is just and the Iraqi pepole need help, but the way it was gone about is all wrong.. We will need help.. Hopefully it will not come too late...
wamp

radioactive

But two recent presidents money came from oil and almost half of the contributions to their campaign came from people directly associated with oil companies.
This really makes you think , also I believe Mr. Bush said there will be people held accountable if they blow up the oil fields in Iraq .
The war is costing us estimated 90 billion $$$ and The airline and travel industry came out yesterday and said they are losing another 30 billion $$$ due to the war . If I was in Iraq , I will guarantee I would be happy if I saw US Troops coming my way , it does give the people a new hope in life , but i also think if we spent 120 billion dollars on our own country that we would be smiling also .
We need to get back on focusing on our needs in this country as jobs are still sinking , btw - american airlines is laying off another 4500 , and soneca group just laid off 16,000 .. that just sucks ...
we had better kill the S.O.B and Bush better start concentrating on our own problems .... JMO

Wow! I never imagines this thread would grow so big! :eek: A couple of days ago, I saw a peace protest in some city (san Francisco?), I forget the name, they said there were roughly 10,000 protestors there. Now, were those 10,000 protestors to be cut in half and one side gassed to death, we would have the same amount of deaths as Saddam Hussein caused his people in one year (1988?). I wonder how they would feel about it then?
It scares and sickens me to think that our brave military men and women will be coming back from war to be greeted by mobs of peace protestors. What really got me was what happened on a Yahoo chatroom two nights ago... my boyfriend wrote a pro-war statement on there and one of the "peace" protestors threatened to set fire to our apartment. :mad:
I say, Good job! to our troops serving overseas and I pray for them. I also have total and unwavering faith in our government and this beautiful place I have called my home my entire life, good old U S of A. :)

What really got me was what happened on a Yahoo chatroom two nights ago... my boyfriend wrote a pro-war statement on there and one of the "peace" protestors threatened to set fire to our apartment
Isin't it funny how these so called "peace loving" people feel theyre the only ones allowed to experss violence and disrupt the lives of fellow Americans?
I suppose these protesters don't realize that they are tying up our law enforcment? When the police should be concentrating on stopping terrorist attacks, they are hauling these protesters to jail! God forbid an attack would happen, they would blame the US foreign policy instead of themselves for being a huge distraction and hinderance to our law enforcment....Makes me SICK:mad:

broncofish

It never fails to amaze me, a few idiot protesters get violent, and all of a sudden every protester is a left wing nut bag, anti american pinky commi loving whale saving dictator supporting jacka$$:mad: Most peace protestors love the troops, just not the war, they assembling peacefully, a small amount are stupid(San Fran street blocking cough cough). Then again I knew it was coming when Bush came out and said that he basicaly did not care and he was not concerned with their opinions. Remeber once again we are fighting this war to give the Iraqi people the same freedoms we have, not to limit ours at home.

wamp

Remeber once again we are fighting this war to give the Iraqi people the same freedoms we have, not to limit ours at home.
Very true... Another thing on CNN now, they are talking about Iraqi people pretending to surender and then killing our troops. Also, some are relaying info back to their artillry... Now, I ain't the smartest person in the world, but it sounds to me like they do Not want us over there helping them... Maybe I'm just dumb though??....:rolleyes:

blueberryboomer

I want to say, I'm not against freedom of speech, thats one of the reasons I'm proud to be an American. But I get so upset (much like so many others) when I see protesters out in the streets blocking traffic and causing problems for the police.
It's fine to be against the war, everyone has a right to thier own opionon, but, I feel that if you say you are against the war, but you support our brave troops, then there are other things you can do to at least show that you support them, those men and women are over there risking thier lives for our country.
I bet there are some of them over there that don't think we should be, but they are there because they took an oath to do a job and fight for our country. And remember they volunteered and we're not told that had to go.
I hate the idea that when they get a chance to see a minute of the news on tv,(on the ships and such) they see people fighting and rioting in the streets protesting what they are doing for thier county.
I hate war, but I love and support my country and my President..
God Bless all the hero's in this aweful time.
wamp, I don't think they don't want our help, I think they are afraid that the same thing that happened in 1991 will happen again. They supported our troops and then we pulled out, then they we're at the mercy of Saddam, and he was not very merciful.

fishead

Well said broncofish. and to redcorsair i agree the link i posted is leftist but its the most accurate and complete pieces i've found yet. thats the beauty of the internet. its hard to sensor. If you can post a news piece that supports the right wing or Whitehouse veiw of our actions in the middle east over the past 50 years please do. I believe free press and an individuals thirst for knowledge are the 2 most powerful forces in the world. PS i first went to an Army recruiter after seeing the newly formed iranian revolutionary government take American hostages I was 17 and my father wouldnt sign the docs to let me go kick some Iranian butt. I joined when i was 18 and spent 6 years guarding an american nuclear weapons facility in Germany and dealing with protesters. Do i resent those protestors? no. Are there any more Nukes in germany? no. When i was 17 i was young dumb and patriatic. Im still patriotic I fly my American Flag. I am Married to a German national. I teach my kids about their american and german heritage, the good the bad and the ugly. I'm not young any more and i'm not dumb.

fishead

80% pro war 20% peace. I must say this thread is consistant with the american network news polls, but i'm wondering as the american death toll climbs. ( remember it was about 190 in the gulf war and i prey that it doesnt increase from the now 14 reported dead) This thread is slowing down and i'm just wondering.

fishead

My God! there have been 30+ viewings of this thread since my last post with no responses. Is this the dedication of the pro war supporters. to clam up when confronted with a little opposition? I do hope that this thread does not represent the support of our troops. In a foram as anonimous as this i would expect the most vocal of debates no matter what the veiw.

fishead

50+ jillian. It sickens me to say that we must get back to more important issues like fragging our Colt corals. LOL.

slick

Hey fishead did you ever stop to think that maybe people have other things to do like watch the news rater than come here all the time so you have someone to debate with??

tigerlover

Let me just say that I know fights pretty well. alot of boys in my neighborhood pick fights with me and my dog(35lb. lab) so of course I fight back. the only thing is I would never start the fight. Its wrong to start a war, but its right to finish it, if Saddam is going to treat his people like they are no more than the ground he walks on, then the war is on in my opinion, its better for those who get killed to be killed and not live in his reign forever, he has no followers as far as I'm concerned, only scared minions. If he thinks he'll live through this war he's got another thing comin'. Heck, I'd kill him myself, with my bare hands, if the oppourtunity presented itself.:mad:
GET READY SADDAM, HERE WE COME, TO KNOCK YOU INTO H!!!

fishead

I'm busy too. i took my kids to the mall today. then to mcdonalds, Goodys, Old Navy and Comp USA. And I still managed to keep up with the days events. Yes i enjoy this democracy. So whats your point?