OT: Tipping on Carry out Orders.

saltysyd

If it's delivered I tip 15-20%, I mean servers in restaurants get that much and they just walk across the room with the food, delivery people have to go out in below zero weather, drive around on snowy roads, etc..... cuz we don't feel like it. Prime example, today it is -17 here and I'm not leaving my warm house, but I wouldn't think twice about having something delivered. They definitely deserve tips!! If I pick up the order myself, no tip. :yes:

N

newreefers

I always tiip, been a waitress and a bartender!! I know what it is like.
food - 20% minimum
drinks in a bar - $1.00 for every drink I order
drinks on the golf course - $2.00 for every time the girl comes around. (if not they won't come back and you could die of thirst on the golf course in Fl)

jlem

Originally posted by doodle1800
underpaid
paid
customer
personel
stalking
paid
an aircraft

did I miss one?

This is so cool. I have my own little George Mcfly:cheer:
Now get hot and proof read the rest of my 600 post please.

bkall4u

but it is stressfull,any time you have to deal directly with mindless,thoughtless, inconsiderate,people,it is stressfull!! Amen
As a once four year server and now a Resturant Manager for a 33 Store upscale chain on the west coast I do have a little experience in this subject. Tipping on To-Go orders is not "required" obviously but it sure is nice when you drop the 16 yr old girl an extra two bucks so she can then take her self to the movies "guilt free" after a day at work. If you are lucky enough to have the means to actaully order To-Go from a resturant you can certainly afford to throw down an extra couple bucks for a sign of apperciating to the poor kid wasting his/her day away just to make sure your frigin buger is xtra hot with no lettcue and 5 sides of ranch dressing for god knows what. 10% is a very acceptable number on a To-Go order.
BTW by the time the kitchen boxes the food, the host brings it up to the front door, it sits waiting for your arival (Hopefully) you get it home or back to work. The dang food is RUINED! Sit down, get taken care of, enjoy the good food while it's hot. If your in such a rush to get back home or just too lazy too take your fat butt out of your PJ's to sit in a real place, just go to the local drive thru! You'll save at least half the money and the crap tastes the same by the time your back anyways! Just my two cents :)

tony detroit

Originally posted by jlem
And just because a job is hard means nothing when it comes to how much you get paid. that 18 year old kid trying not to get ran over by an aircraft on an aircraft carrier isn't making jack for the danger he is in.

I don't know why you go to work but I go to make money. Enlisting was your choice.

karajay

Originally posted by tony detroit
I don't know why you go to work but I go to make money.

I only work for entertainment purposes.
If it aint fun, then I aint goin'

I don't know why you go to work but I go to make money. Enlisting was your choice.

Exactly!
And furthermore, since when does difficulty equate to danger? Look at a neurosurgeon . . . job's hard as can be . . . are they in danger? No. What about chemistry lab technicians? Their job is dangerous . . . is it difficult? Nope
Sorry pal . . . find a new argument and get back to me ok?

fshhub

Originally posted by phenom5
my bar is filled with regulars, and being a bartender people get a drink and pay, then the tip...or don't tip. if you stiff me or leave me a quater on your first round, i'll look right past you to my regular who leaves $20 everytime she comes in, or the guy that's giving me a buck on each round. believe me, i won't lose any sleep b/c some cheap ass who doesn't tip sits with an empty drink. :D

Bad choice and very bad attitude! This one will get you a long way in this world and even farther as a server.I know guys that I go out with, who would burn you for that one. Big time too. First off, if they suspect anything like this, they will file a formal complaint with the owners and management. 2d they tip one time and one time only upon leaving a place. Except in the cas of a club, where they may move around and could wind up getting served by different individuals. One of these guys if he thinks that he is getting treated unfairly bc you think he owes you something will not stop until you have a major problem(like no job) but on the other hand, if he likes your service he will leave larger tips than you see on a regular basis. To us a tip is like anything else, we do not owe it to you and if you are going to stand there with your hand out, then be prepared to be surprised. A tip as a gratuity, a thank you and a courtesy.... A REWARD FOR GOOD SERVICE. As long as you think it is owed to you, you will not go far. As long as you think anyone owes you anything, You will NOT go anywhaere. Youu have to realize you MUST EARN things, including my tip, MY THANK YOU. and mostly my respect. B/C I give credit where credit is due and that means that, good service=good or even great tip. poor service=poor tip, And insubordination and rudeness or what not, will get you a likewise credit in return. DONT COME CRYING TO ME, when not only is there not a tip there, but the guy you mistreated has your job. If you do not want to serve, then dont. GET another job. If you want to serve and EARN what is given to you and be appreciative about it, then do it.
As for work, I have worked all kinds of jobs, pounded steel in a forge, poured iron in a foundary, waited tables and bused them, sold cars and the list goes on. I can say that waiting is not easy or hard. BUT like any other career if you find it hard and grueling, maybe it is not yours. You must however be able to do this with a smile and treat all your customers as customers, EVEN THE BAD. In any form of customer service this is a must, IRREGARDLESS of how you think they should treat you. Yes they should be equally respectful but there are those who are rude and dealing with them is part of the job you have chosen. And if you cannot take the good with the bad then look for something else. It is just like a marriage, you get good and bad with it.
AS FOR MY PAY 007,
go ahead and try to guess what I make, it will make you sick. and I guarentee you dont make that as a server. I set my own hours and normally make more in a 3 hr set than you make in a week and maybe even a month. If you feel up to it, I will bet you what I made yesterday(or if you can afford, it this whole week) on this fact.

overanalyzer

A tip is something earned .... it is not a given fact.
If you feel someone putting your food in a bag is worth a tip go for it and tip to your heart's content.
As for "if you can order to go you can afford a tip." or "Sit down and get served" HA - ahhahahahaha
Seriously - a lot of times we order carry out because we've both been working, it has been a long day and the kids won't sit still. So you want me to bring my family into a resteraunt where my kids will be all ansy and most likely annoying and my wife and I will spend our time disciplining our kids v. ordering carry out??
PLEASE!!!
and one last item - spell checking people's posts seems awfully rude - it Isn't that funny and this thread is turning a bit hostile.
PS - I don't tip on carry out orders! In case that wasn't clear before.
PPS - Wait staff does have a tough gig - but I would not put it anywhere near the top 20 toughest jobs!

Originally posted by fshhub
AS FOR MY PAY 007,
go ahead and try to guess what I make, it will make you sick. and I guarentee you dont make that as a server. I set my own hours and normally make more in a 3 hr set than you make in a week and maybe even a month. If you feel up to it, I will bet you what I made yesterday(or if you can afford, it this whole week) on this fact.

For starters, that comment was not directed at you. It was aimed at the individual who made the preceeding comments in that thread.
Secondly, you are probably right . . . you probably do make more than me, big deal. If it makes you proud to flaunt it, then hey more power to ya . . . flaunt away.
Third, I no longer work as a server . . . you apparently missed that point.
Lastly . . . there's no need for name calling. It doesn serve any purpose, unless of course it makes you feel better. If so, than by all means, go right ahead and float your little boat.
I expected better . . . especially from a moderator.
:nope:

fshhub

I appologize for the name, I had gone back and edited, and thought I took it out before posting. I even looked for it. That was uncalled ofr and was elevated by some going ons here, not your fault and that is why I intended to remove it.
It was not your fault, and was not aimed at you, but someone else here.
I, have not found any reason to call you such names, you are not a wise guy or such at all.
That will be gone, now.

harlequinnut

Originally posted by overanalyzer
PPS - Wait staff does have a tough gig - but I would not put it anywhere near the top 20 toughest jobs!

Try being a mailman on the 1st of the month delivering SSI checks in the ghetto, it will make you sick if you thought customers in a restaurant was bad. Then to go back to the post office to deal with stupidvisor... I mean supervisor, it's no wonder postal workers go postal all the time. JMO
ps - I wouldn't give you crappy service just because I didn't get a tip from you for xmas, but I would give you exceptional service if I did. :D

fshhub

Originally posted by Harlequinnut
ps - I wouldn't give you crappy service just because I didn't get a tip from you for xmas, but I would give you exceptional service if I did. :D

exactly :yes:

angelofish

Im a delivery driver myself.Non tippers are not a priority with me.Theyll get it when they get it! I give them a chance to come around in the begining but If they dont I gotta do what I gotta do. Ive been known to tip,
Gas station attendant if he does the windows and Im filling up $1,
picking up food $1 & the change if theres a tip jar,
pizza delivery guys $3-4 because theres a charge and he gets that too.

kelkoolaid

I also waitress, and yes there are more stressful/ harder jobs, but to be a good waitress, to be remebered- that takes finesse.
Anyone can wait a table, or try to. But its the servers that go that extra bit, read your mind, remember what you like each week. I'm not talking buffet or burger joints, I'm refering to family owned resturants, finer dining. They are the one's that get and deserve your 10-20%.
If we take a tip on a to-go order, it goes to the cook. They don't get tips, they have a set rate per night. It makes their day, once a week to get 3 bucks. It doesn't happen often.
I waitress and I work as a elem. para-educator in a self-contained special needs classroom. On the bad side of town. Somedays that is a worse job than waitressing. But both are very satisfying, I get to try and make a difference and make people happy, treat them the way I would like to be treated.
Just as trivia the best tippers ( there was a study on this) the Self-employed and food service workers.

jlem

I actually go to work because I enjoy my job and I could think of alot worse ways to make money.
believe me when I say that nothing is as exilerating and exiting as the flight deck. Enlisting was my choice as you pointed out and have done it twice since. I can't think of a more rewarding job then the military. the food service people are saying how much they deserve extra money for doing a job that requires no education, is not that hard and is not dangerous and I just don't understand that. You ask anybody who has enjoyed the Flight deck and standing next to a jet at full afterburner on the cat and most will tell you they loved it, but it still does'nt change the fact that it is a heck of lot harder and STRESSFUL than waiting tables or telling bar stories to custumers.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2682084
take out? no.
delivery? yes.
You are digging everything up

both YES
Correction... 2 different kind of take out here. If I sit in my car and they bring the food to the car then YES, if I walk into the restaurant to pick up my phone order, then NO