OT: war in Iraq

jarre

Since you liked using examples I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. If I paid Charles Mason $25,000 for killing Sharon Tate how do you think that would be accepted in our society or the world? Well, let’s continue the example. Let's say Charles Mason pays $25,000 to every serial killer in this country for their actions. Now I really don't think that this society would tolerate it for too long.
Now my example assumes that Charles knows who they are after they have been arrested which means they are still alive. How does Sadam know who to make the check out to? They blew themselves up? Did they prearrange the payment?
It is interesting that the French did finally show up after we had Cornwalace pinned down. Yes, the French helped us. That was how many years ago? I honestly think that history in the last 50 to 60 years holds more weight to current events regardless of who it is.
There is no pat answer to these issues and debating them only helps to bring out the possible consequences of our actions. What I am saying more than anything is a governing body that does nothing but appease rather than enforce its rulings is a useless body.
It is obvious that you and I disagree on some things broncofish and if you wish to unsubscribe because "Thick skulls don't absorb information" that is your right. Happy to see you are in a country where you have that right.

nybyrne

Well what are all of you "show me the proof" people going to do when we get there and Saddam has the weapons and we find ties to Osma? What then?
I can hear it now"the military planted it", "the CIA put it there"
BY THE WAY, A GUN ONLY SMOKES AFTER IT HAS BEEN FIRED

jarre

QUOTE]what happened to us looking to knock out drugs on the streets here in the USA
Think Clinton decided that cigarettes where the drug to stamp out rather than continuing the drug war.
UNTIL THERE IS MEASUREABLE PROOF !!!!!
What is it going to take to give everyone that uses this argument - another 9/11? Show us proof that Sadam doesn't have the weapons or that he doesn't sell or give them to terriorist. Usually a smoking gun means the gun has already been fired.
you must have issues !!!
Who me? :D Nah. You left out answering the questions in the second paragraph. This first paragraph you quoted was the set up for the second. Basically Mason = Sadam is the point.

slick

We don't have proof he has these weapons. Lets go blow stuff up and endanger our friends and families just in case he does have them.
Come on now. We should not do anything without proof.

jarre

We should not do anything without proof.
Using that same logic we'd have to ask why this board is here. Do any of us really have proof that some of us know what we are doing?

jarre

radioactive - LOL Yep. Mason = Manson ... Just remember don't shot me until you have proof I can't type ..... ROTFLMAO

slick

Originally posted by Jarre
Using that same logic we'd have to ask why this board is here. Do any of us really have proof that some of us know what we are doing?

There is a big difference when it comes to human lives at stake. If you can't understand the difference between war and a swf bb then I can't debate with you anymore.

jarre

Do you really believe Congress and the House gave Bush the ok to go into Iraq without UN approval without Bush having information that scared the hell out of them. Information which if publized would endanger the lives of our troops? I mean really, Congress and the House just doesn't give a President that power without a Damned good reason.
If my history is correct here, and if you have a link to state that I'm wrong I'd be interested - this is the first time in our history that it's been done.
So the question now becomes. Why would Congress and the House do it without solid evidence? (Don't say it was all the republican's because it was done before they had the majority!) :)

nybyrne

Let me ask you what proof do you need? What can you be told or shown to equal enough proof? What would it take for you to change your mind?

reef fool

Originally posted by broncofish
Reef fool were cool, I just think that protesting is a great freedom that eveyone has the right to.

Broncofish,
I deserved you jumping on me for that post. It was vague and not very well thought out. kinda spur of the moment followed by foot in the mouth disease!
I agree that protesting is a great freedom we have as well. I did not mean all protesters are Spineless.
Best of luck to you, serving us, in this conflict and sorry for pissing you off.
Frank

IMO
THE BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE
Let's not wait to let these

[hr]
get more powerful and spill the blood of innocent Americans ala 9/11.
God forbid another attack the magnatude of 9/11. Some of you are worried about spending money and further hurting the economy with another war. Stop and think about what would happen to the nation's stability if we were attacked again!
No offense meant to anyone! Like my Grandpa always says:
"opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one!";)

slick

It would be nice to have the un inspectors to find some bio weapons. Or catch them moving stuff around trying to hide it. I'm not totally against war. I just think we need to spend more time working on our own problems rather than trying to fix everyones problems. I don't know how the job situation is where you live but here people are being laid off a lot. That really scares me. I have a house, car, 401k, and everyday bills. I can't pay for these things if I have no job.

slick

Originally posted by pigeoncreek1
Stop and think about what would happen to the nation's stability if we were attacked again!

So lets build up and work on national defense instead of spend millions/billions on shipping troops and equipment all over the place.

Slick,
I understand your concerns, I am a small business co-owner in the asphalt industry. Right now the price of liquid asphalt(oil) is through the roof. This translates to unstable material costs and less work getting done for more money! Also, because of the suffering economy, government allotments earmarked for construction are being diverted elsewhere. Needless to say, it's going to be hard to get by this paving season! We all have bills to pay..
I still think we need to end this emminent threat. Hopefully then our Government can finally take a look at what's going on here at home...
Maybe after we take care of Saddam, eased tensions on the homefront will translate into a positive step towards reviving our economy...Just a thought

drkegel

Um, all that says is they want to INVESTIGATE Israel. And I have yet to find any evidence of ANY Palenstinian claim that they are doing anything other than rooting out terrorists. That arguement/debate has been going on for a long time, and nothing has come of it. Sad, but no one has accused Hamas of human rights violations.
If I were an Israeli and Hamas and all the other groups were blowing up everything in sight, you better believe I'd go after them. That's what Israel is doing. That's what the US wants to do as well.
Maybe if the terrorists stopped killing people in Israel, Israel would stop killing terrorists.
PS - The US HAS put diplomatic pressure on Israel in a push for peace. But you can only ask a government to do nothing for so long. If you get attacked and you do nothing, what kind of a message do you think that sends those who attacked you? It tells them, "Hey - go ahead attack us. We don't know how to defend ourselves." Which gives the terrorists even more oppurtunity to attack.
I have history on my side here - not just in the Middle East either. When the LON appeased Hitler, did he stop taking over territory? NO - he kept right on going. It was only after war began that he was FINALLY stopped. Milosovic is another one who didn't stop his brutality until someone tried to stop him with force. The Israelis have tried peace - but the Palestinians (and others) keep on bombing them.

drkegel

If I read your posts right Broncofish - we should all do nothing and hope no one else attacks us?
That strategy just isn't acceptable to me. And I hope it isn't acceptable to not only America, but to the rest of the world assembly.
My idea is this - prioritize and deal with them. Afghanistan was the start, Iraq is the next phase, and it looks to me like North Korea is trying to make itself number three. Who knows maybe China is batting clean-up? (The past few sentences have been sarcasm.)

wrassecal

I think this war with Iraq has a lot to do with "strategery". We can take Iraq and for good reasons. The middle eastern countries don't like it but at least most of them will stand for it. If we use Germany and France as examples we know that all these years later we still have active bases in those countries even though we don't have anything to do with how they run their governments. Now if we go in and topple Husseins regime, then we are going to have to have troops there for a very long time. It adds a very strategic location with a lot of American troops. What if we do have to go after Saudi or Iran or any of the others in the region that are funding terrorism. It would be much better and easier to do from Iraq. This is just the beginning of the US fight against terrorism and it's a smart move for many reasons. Remember when it comes to real estate the top three most important things are location, location and location.
Know how many french men it takes to defend France?
No one knows, it's never been done.

broncofish

Originally posted by broncofish
Listen I'm all for war, as soon as you show me a link between Saddam and terrorism that effects us, as in U.S. or good evidence showing proof of him hording enough chemical weapons to authorize an attack, not a little bit here and there,heck we could not account for all are weapons if they asked.

No kegel you did not read my post right.