over run by trees

d-man

I am having problems with tree corals taking over my tank and don't know how to stop them. I can't rip them off the rock, they frag if I cut them, I can't get them to let go, is there any way to move them? what eats them? and how do I kill them. thanks in advance

meowzer

Originally Posted by d-man
http:///forum/post/3012920
I am having problems with tree corals taking over my thank and don't know how to stop them. I can't rip them off the rock, they frag if I cut them, I can't get them to let go, is there any way to move them? what eats them? and how do I kill them. thanks in advance
What else do you have in your tank? My pencil urchin ate mine...BUT I wanted mine

BUT the urchin will also eat other corals...

jackri

I think you're doing good if you CAN'T kill corals -- but if you try hard enough you can ;)

joebob7

Use a big syringe with boiling water, This kills just about anything if it's hot enough.
BTW what is a tree coral, the leather tree coral or an x-mas tree coral?

natclanwy

You should be able to pull Kenya trees off the rock, just grab down at the base and start peeling it off. I have pulled hundreds off of my rock over the years and never had any trouble and they never came back.

d-man

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/3021222
You should be able to pull Kenya trees off the rock, just grab down at the base and start peeling it off. I have pulled hundreds off of my rock over the years and never had any trouble and they never came back.
I don't know how you've been doing this but there is not way I'm getting it off the rock withour ripping it up and then It just grows back and there is a peace that flots off and starts some where else I'm thinking about the hot water but I dont want to rase the bioload to much my killing a butnch of corals

natclanwy

They aren't that fragile, so you don't need to worry about being gentle I just grab the base and start pulling to the side kind of like peeling tape off the wall. Something else you can do to keep them spreading is to pick up the dropped branches before they are attached to your rock work. You should be able to tell when the Kenya tree is going to start dropping branches and you can use a turkey baster to knock off any loose branches and blow the already fallen ones out of the rock work and either give the frags away or toss them.

d-man

QUOTE=natclanwy;3021772]They aren't that fragile, so you don't need to worry about being gentle I just grab the base and start pulling to the side kind of like peeling tape off the wall. Something else you can do to keep them spreading is to pick up the dropped branches before they are attached to your rock work. You should be able to tell when the Kenya tree is going to start dropping branches and you can use a turkey baster to knock off any loose branches and blow the already fallen ones out of the rock work and either give the frags away or toss them.
ya if you come by I'll give you all the frags (the pics are some of my frags) ya want, I don't thnk that there fragile it's that they are too strong and I cant pull them off without having a peace stick to the rock(most of the time) and I try to cut the frags off befor they fall off because I can't get them most of the time when thy start floting I've tryed cold water to get them to let go but I have a hard time getting as much cold water on them as I need because of other corals

it's getting time to redo a lot of stuff so I think I will try to deal with it all when I do a rock move.
I'll look into the joes juice thanks

natclanwy

Joe's juice is just kalkwasser paste, if you mix 1 part kalkwasser (pickling lime) to 2 parts boiling saltwater you will have an inexpensive but identical version of Joes juice.

invertcrazy

If you would be willing to ship, you can throw some in a bag and ship it to the other coast 18517 let me know what shipping would be. Thanks

OMG i cat believe you want to kill it!! i have been looking all over the place for them!! i cant find much of anything around here,i will pay for shipping too