Patrick's 10 gal. nano diary :)

patrick8929

okay a couple pics and a question....
question.....
can i make salt water and keep it in a container for future water changes or do i have to make it on the spot? and if i can make it and keep it... do i have to keep it circulated?
pics... i put the tank in a new spot its on like a tv stand now and not on my desk. my and my room mate just picked it up and moved it over.

patrick8929

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2827648
buy water you need some! lol and nice sound system!
haha thanks there are 5 speakers and that sub...
i have to RO water but can i mix it with salt and keep it for later use or do i have to make it right before the change?

nissan577

people say to have it ready before you do the water change. like the same temp and stuff but idk. since sometimes i get saltwater already made by my friends big container! lol im a lucky boy!

nano-newb1983

if you put iin a bin of some sort, make sure you have a pump to keep in flowing and a heater.. Like the placement on white coral now... looks good

spanko

I would add to NaNo's suggestion keep some type of lid on the bin also so that nothing gets into the water. Also a good idea to clean the bin with a vinegar solution when not in use so no nastiness grows in there.

patrick8929

thank you nano and spanko. well it would be in one of the RO containers. like what the RO water comes in so i wouldnt be able to keep flow or heat but why would i need to? there is nothing living in it

patrick8929

im getting my fish!!!!!!!!! on sunday i will have him!!!! i cant wait!!! i will post pics sunday night. all my levels are good. it will be a month on monday next week. also my pH is now up to 8.3!

spanko

You can go ahead and mix in the salt bringing the Sg to your display tank leverl. Cap off the container. 24 hours prior to water change you do need to put some movement in the water and some heat to it. The movement is to mix the salt crystals into the water and to balance the Ph. The heat is to bring it to near display tank temp.

patrick8929

okay got it. well i guess ill just have to make it the day of. i dont have an extra heater or power head. well thanks for the help!!!

1990jpyj

i have always bought mine and used it as i need it. i keep mine in a 5g bucket. they work the best for me. i just bought a cheapo power head and a small heater and put it in a day before i really needed it. but if you are using it for just top off's shouldn't it just be fresh water??? otherwise your SG will get to high. i have 2 5g buckets full of RO salt water and 1 5g eazy pour container of RO FW for my daily top offs- i dont heat that cuzz i only use a little each day so i see no reason.