Patrick's 10 gal. nano diary :)

patrick8929

so here is my next question..... when i do get my fish what is the absolute best way to acclimate? i want this guy to live. i can not afford to lose him. i dont have alot of money so i want to keep all the fish i get. please give me step by step

patrick8929

my next question is.... if i do this is it not going to take alot of the water out of my tank? its only a 10 gallon...

rebelprettyboy

Originally Posted by patrick8929
http:///forum/post/2829430
my next question is.... if i do this is it not going to take alot of the water out of my tank? its only a 10 gallon...
I understand you on that.
When I put a fish in my 5.5 gal I figure its goin to take out quite a bit of water,,,
So ill prolly just do a water change that day. IDK what else i could do as well.
Unless u set up a QT tank.

subielover

Yup, just plan to do a water change after. When I acclimate a fish or invert, I usually drip them for about 2-2.5 hours. I think it takes about 1 gallon out maybe a little bit more. It is a slow drip so it won't be too much, but still a good idea to be ready with water so you can do a water change right after. I don't know if everybody does this but when I put fish in I turn off all the lights and let them get settled in. Leave them off for a couple hours and then turn them off. Not sure if it does anything, but peace of mind I guess. You will be fine

spanko

Not necessary to do a water change, but in effect you are doing one. If for instance the drip acclimation only uses 1 gallon of water, just add one gallon of newly mixed, temp balanced water back to the display.
Leaving the lights off for the rest of the day and the night will be a good thing to help the new fish settle in and the old fish kept in the dark about anything so to speak.
The whole idea is to reduce stress on the new fish so a big water change does not help with stress reduction.
JMO FWIW

patrick8929

okay cool thank you guys. i dont have any other fish yet so i guess ill just leave the lights off for a couple hours.
man i cant wait!!! it will be on sunday when all this goes down!

patrick8929

i wish i could! but i dont have enough cash right now for that. i need to get a new test kit and food as well. also my lfs said it may not be a good idea to get 2 in such a small tank. they can fight instead of pair up. this may not be true but they are selling me the fish and they are a great store!! awesome selection and no diseases. so i am gunna listen to then for now and just get one

1990jpyj

i love clowns(not the true name but thats what i call them) you are gonna have fun watching a fish swin around in your tank.