PEACOCK MANTIS hitchiker in my REEF!!!

fishy7

DAY 103
Mantis 4
Russ 0
SBV

[hr]
I did not hear a thing for months, and then one day I started to hear a little tapping noise, now I have a well fed mantis and no hermits.
I did not add any new rock to the tank either. I am assuming they are very small when introduced and then nature takes over...
Are you missing anything fish/hermits? If not you may have a pistol shrimp. Good luck

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Reef Diver
The peacock mantis is a smasher type mantis. They use a large "heel" on their forefront legs to smash open a shell of a snail/hermit, etc. This mantis will not kill fish, however when very large, such as your specimen, the peacock will smash the side of the glass in an escape attmpt. Smaller types of smashers, such as N. Wennare pictured above, cannever, and will never be able to smash through the glass however they can be very destructive to an invertebrate population. The spearer type of mantis, is the type that kill fish, and are mainly the kind that while looking in tide pools, one should be wary of. The spearer type have a barbed "

[hr]
" attached to their forefront leg, which they use to

[hr]
fish (or your hand) Personally, my christmas (or in my case Hannukah) wishlist ofr this year includes supplies for a 10 gallon refugium/mantis tank. I plan to house a N. Wennare. They are not destructive to corals, or "pods"
This brings up a good point...A smasher isn't much of a match for a trigger...On the other hand a Slasher would do some damage.
They can put a

[hr]
right through a fish.

yupi1982

SANJAY JOSHY is the God of lightning !!
but since I cant get him to solve me this quesion and I have the 3 of you in my Thread i will bother you guys !!
SW36GALMA, STANLEE ,AND XDAVE

96" X 40" X 30" = 500 G
will be The dimension of my next project
after tons of research I am still a bit confused :notsure:
BALLAST: PFO Pulse start 400 W = ANSI: M135, core, capacitor, ignitor
BULB : XM 10.000 K
REFLECTOR: LUMERAC III

I will be having 3 x 400 over the tank with 3 VHO URI Bulbs & 1 actinic
( 110W X 4)suplement....
* Would a M58 PFO Ballast would run better than the M139 Pulse Start ??
* At 6 inches with no glass top over the reflectors how much PAR could I get with these combination.....I heard 1000 on each ????
* Would you GUYS recomend me this or something else ??
:notsure:
Thanks
Alejandro

sw65galma

With a 500g, I would go with 4 x 400W HQI the electronic ballast, im not sure which model numbers those are. I'm at work.

yupi1982

Originally Posted by Reef Diver
The peacock mantis is a smasher type mantis. They use a large "heel" on their forefront legs to smash open a shell of a snail/hermit, etc. This mantis will not kill fish, however when very large, such as your specimen, the peacock will smash the side of the glass in an escape attmpt. Smaller types of smashers, such as N. Wennare pictured above, cannever, and will never be able to smash through the glass however they can be very destructive to an invertebrate population. The spearer type of mantis, is the type that kill fish, and are mainly the kind that while looking in tide pools, one should be wary of. The spearer type have a barbed "

[hr]
" attached to their forefront leg, which they use to

[hr]
fish (or your hand) Personally, my christmas (or in my case Hannukah) wishlist ofr this year includes supplies for a 10 gallon refugium/mantis tank. I plan to house a N. Wennare. They are not destructive to corals, or "pods"
I really dont know which kind is it !!!
but i am back in the hunt !!!
JUST GOT MY NEW MANTIS TRAP ....
i'll show pics !!!

fishy7

Originally Posted by yupi1982
I really dont know which kind is it !!!
but i am back in the hunt !!!
JUST GOT MY NEW MANTIS TRAP ....
i'll show pics !!!

Good luck. make sure your mantis is good and hugry...

Does anyone know if he can survive an ammonia spike? :thinking:

stanlalee

Originally Posted by FISHY7
Good luck. make sure your mantis is good and hugry...

Does anyone know if he can survive an ammonia spike? :thinking:
the fact that they end up as LR hitch hikers quite frequently is an indication they have a good chance of surviving your typical curing/ammonia spike.

amy78

it might live through it but if it molts and the water is bad it will die. also you have a good chance that it will get shell disease.

yupi1982

Originally Posted by amy78
if you get him out I will pay good money for your mantis thanks. my email is cm3560@yahoo.com
GOOD MONEY HAAA awesome
I'll email you if i get it next week ..
i';ll send pics ...to see if you like it !!!
ok
Alejandro

yupi1982

thanks so much !! I love mantis shrimp
Amy the first picture is close to the one i have in my reef
the second one is just something i found LOL
is HUGE

fishy7

it might live through it but if it molts and the water is bad it will die. also you have a good chance that it will get shell disease.
Hummmmm good info. I keep my water tip top for my anemones...... I am pretty mad since he killed my naso this weekend. There was a puncture on his side which killed him 2 days later.
:mad:
I am thinking of laying pantyhouse on the entire bottom of the tank. He has to come out sometime. :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: I am pretty desperate to get this thing out of mt tank, as you can tell.

yupi1982

to bad to hear about your naso :notsure:
thank God mine is still an small one ...i belive you have a monster there my friend !!!
they are clever creatures ...i am still triying evry other night..but seems to be imposible unless i take out the rock...and thats not gonna happen !!!

fishy7

DAY 120
MANTIS 6
RUSS 0

Well he struck again and managed to get one of my chromis. All were swimming around then found one floating to the top.
Poor little guy did not know what hit him.
Mr mantis is now struggling to find food since he has killed all the hermits.
How long before he starves todeath?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
When I get mr mantis. :mad: