Pencil urchins decimating my corals.

ufo8micats

About 4 mos. ago I started my first coral reef. I bought 2 pencil urchins for my tank and for the last 2 mos. they have been slowly destroying my corals. My problem, other than them decimating my corals is that I cannot get them out of my tank. I have tried waiting for them to come off of the rock, picking them off of the rock, turning the lights off and waiting for them to crawl away from the rock, and even taking the rock out of the water. At this point I am getting desperate, and I hate to make threats, but , I am really close to just stabbing them with a bamboo skewer to get them out. And , I really don't wanna do that. So, if anyone has any ingenious ideas on how to get these urchins out of my tank and donated to a good home, please please feel free to post a reply.

bang guy

Find a small rock you can easily take out of the water, doesn't have to be live rock, and rubber band some meaty seafood to it. A piece of fish, a shrimp, something like that. Set it near the urchin and it should go for it. Once it climbs onto the rock you can remove the urchin.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/395899/pencil-urchins-decimating-my-corals#post_3525978
How odd....I had 2 and when I touched them they just came loose.....Good luck
Sounds weird to me too, Lois...unless they're stuck in "holes", then they can be a PITA. Funny how word still hasn't gotten out that pencil urchins are NOT the vegetarians everyone once thought them to be...I had one eat some zoos once.

Really nice technique, when I was going through this thread and seen the solution at that time only I got in my mind that this should work and I was coming down slowly to find about your reply that this technique worked for you or not.