Ph is 7.7-8.0

mjhulik

I just checked my ph and was wondering if 7.7-8.0 was ok ? This is my 12 gallon tank.
Thanks to all for your help.
mjhulik

mjhulik

How do you know if it is say...8.3 my card I use doesn't say anything like that, do you have a digital one? Is this something that can wait till tomorrow I ran out of Saltwater?
Thanks

bang guy

Originally Posted by mjhulik
How do you know if it is say...8.3 my card I use doesn't say anything like that, do you have a digital one? Is this something that can wait till tomorrow I ran out of Saltwater?
Thanks
It's not an emergency. 8.0 - 8.5 is normal IMO.

mjhulik

Where do you get a ph prode at, I just have a card that reads out what the color looks like, it kind of sucks.

carshark

im not trying to steal this thread but i need to get my ph up asap, the ro water i was using to lower my salinity i didnt add buffer!! go figure....anyway im in the process of hyposalinity and i have dropped my ph to 7.7...it was always at a steady 8.2.. this is the reason for the drop but i need to know how to raise it up safely please help, i have another thread on this but noone seems to get any info on there.....

bang guy

Originally Posted by carshark
this is the reason for the drop but i need to know how to raise it up safely please help, i have another thread on this but noone seems to get any info on there.....

Just leave it. It's not going to harm anything during hypo. Are you running a skimmer?

carshark

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Just leave it. It's not going to harm anything during hypo. Are you running a skimmer?

are you sure? its 7.7 and i am only at 1.020 right now....i have to get down to 1.009 thats a lot of water to mix in still.. and yes i am running a skimmer...

carshark

ok so continue replacing water which i have added buffer to, and dont worry about the PH even if it goes down to around 7? ok if you say so, id be losing a 5 in foxface, 3 inch blue regal, and a false perc. i hope they can live through that PH....

carshark

Originally Posted by SoO High
what is RO new to this ;x
Reverse Osmosis water, filtered really good water that ahould always be used for top offs, mixing change water(salt), and for filling up a new tank...

carshark

ok so i got home just a few minutes ago and i tested my water....PH is going back up, took a little while to show its color but it seems its almost climbed back up to 8.0 id say 7.8 or 7.9 so in perspective, Red Sea Buffer is a good product just takes a little while, i just did another gallon water change out from salt to RO so i am continuing the process, thanks i was worried....
:happyfish

bang guy

Originally Posted by carshark
ok so i got home just a few minutes ago and i tested my water....PH is going back up, took a little while to show its color but it seems its almost climbed back up to 8.0 id say 7.8 or 7.9 so in perspective, Red Sea Buffer is a good product just takes a little while, i just did another gallon water change out from salt to RO so i am continuing the process, thanks i was worried....
:happyfish
In my opinion the buffer you're adding could be a worse problem than a low PH. It could also be causing the low PH if your Alkalinity is too high.
Have you tested Calcium and Alkalinity?