Photos of Fragging the Beast!

cayman isl

....and finally, the one on the right after 3 hours. Some ployps are already open.
That's it, hope you had a good time!!

nm reef

Excellant series of pics...lots of folks ask about fragging colts...I bet this thread gets referals for a long time to come...great job...thanks for documenting it..and thanks for sharing!!!
I hope the new additions adjust and do well...

cayman isl

Thanks, so far so good. everyone's opening up now. lotsa slime at the base where the fishing line is but not too bad.

diddley

props, my friend. excellent thread and sure to be a reference for many in the future. will you cut the fishing line once attached or just leave it in the tank?

cayman isl

Once the frags hook up to the base I will cut and remove the fishing line. Not really sure how long that will take. I've heard people here on the boards comment that the biggest problem they had was the fishing line tearing thru the base and ripping it. So far it looks like both frags are holding up OK.
Thanks....

cayman isl

...oh yea, gotta give props to my wife, She took all the pictures. Of course I was barking orders all the way so extra props for being so tolerant! :D

cayman isl

I used the fishing line from what I read on here..... In fact, Kip, I think you might have suggested in another thread somewhere! I chose the thicker fishing line because of the comments by other hobbyists that the lighter fishing line, or thread, would tear thru the "meat" of the base and not aid in the coral adhering to the rock.
Not sure how the thin netting would work Yellowtail. Feel free to share your idea so we can see an alternative method. I chose between the 2 methods that were discussed here on the boards, the needle and thread (or fishing line), and the plastic toothpicks with rubberbands method.
Keep in mind folks that I am newbie at this hobby! This tank has only been up since last October. This Colt was my first coral and I must have done something right because it tripled in size!
This fragging and resultant thread was as much a learning experience for me as I hope it is for everyone else. Everything I did today was an end product of what I have learned from all of you!
I just hope it turns out for the best.... and yes Melody, I definately learned from your latest experience to be very careful with everything in the tank!
Thanks for the kind comments.

hariii2

Hey Cayman, great pics. I love your hat! Been there many times. Beautiful place. Can't wait to get back...for good. RUMPOINT! :happyfish Stingray Dark :happyfish :happyfish

cayman isl

Yea, Kip, I only have 2 passes of line thru the base of each coral so will snip each side and only pull thru a couple of inches. Thanks
Hariii2, I didn't even notice I had that hat on. As you can see by the condition it is the favorite! Guess I'll have to make another trip back to get me a new one!!
:D

hariii2

Pick me up a six pack of Stingray Dark. I'll get you a new hat if I go before you. HA. Hopefully I am heading back in October.