pics of my girls...

monalisa

Wah Hooo! I can't believe we have a seahorse forum here!!
I wanted to be the first to post some pics of mine...
Lisa...

darthtang aw

depends on species and age. In general I feel they aren't anymore difficult than keeping most Saltwater fish. Just more time consuming and monitoring is required more. You also have to be very selective with aquascape and tankmates as well.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
depends on species and age. In general I feel they aren't anymore difficult than keeping most Saltwater fish. Just more time consuming and monitoring is required more. You also have to be very selective with aquascape and tankmates as well.
My mom has been wanting a seahorse tank forever, but I don't have the time to actually grow the food for them and I'm thinking she wouldn't either. What's the minimum sized tank for a seahorse? My LFS had said you could put them in nano tanks, but I wanted to find out more specifically what the minimum size would be

darthtang aw

You can use a ten gallon tank...20 gallon would be preferable. As for food if you get tank raised seahorses they will eat frozen mysis shrimp and when they get bigger you can expand that to krill

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by j-j_02
i have a 55 gallon tak with 4 damsels, u think that would be ok for a horse or 2?
Get rid of the damsels and you could have 6 seahorses in that tank easily.

monalisa

Originally Posted by flpriest
You have some beautiful seahorses there Lisa!
Great pics!!

Ummm, thank you very much flpriest...I have to say that now that I've had them for a couple of weeks and are getting into a routine (and they as well), I'm SO enjoying them. I'm in the process of slowly adding soft corals and vegetation to the tank, I reiterate, very slowly. So far I have the red macro algae that the horses came home with, and very nice little colt coral from my reef (which is doing great in its new environment), and today I added some chaeto algae in hopes that the pods will use as a haven to procreate. From here, I don't know where I'll go...still looking and researching.
Appache and Navajo are definitely getting into their feeding routine. I know that I've been told it would happen, but well, ya know...when I was wondering and worrying...
They're both sleeping and hitched to the highest part of the coral in the morning these days, and as soon as breakfast hits the water, they're out and about. Supper hasn't been a problem really since I've had them, but they are both out and anticipating supper at this point, and at this point both have very hardy appetites. Very cool.
That's it for now.
Lisa...

monalisa

Originally Posted by crossan
where do you get all your vegetation?
I've gotten macro algae from my LFS and from other LFSs...not hard to find really.
Oh, my plan for my 37gal is a 5 gallon water change every week...tomorrow I'm doing the second change since my ponies have come home. They don't mind and are actually curious about the added action/movement, and they certainly are happy to find their tank all spiffy clean
Lisa...

monalisa

Originally Posted by larryndana
awesome pictures, they your seahorses look great as well.

Thank you very much larryndana. So far, Appache and Navajo are settling in quite well and getting into a routine. I love to watch them when they eat and hunt, and they are definitely getting used to where the current is a little higher in the tank and where it's pretty much just a chillin' out current.
I've posted these pics on my photo thread, but I also want to have them here. Sorry to those who've seen them already, I just reallly like these pics.
Lisa

monalisa

I've been watching Appache and Navajo today while I'm home, and something has come to light that I didn't really expect or think of. Both girls are getting pods from the sponges that I've placed on the intakes for the filters and powerhead!! I've seen them both snick a number of times on those sponges...hmmm, hopefully those pods will move on to the little chaeto pockets I've placed.

Lisa