Pitbulls... Let's have the debate.

reefraff

I know someone from another board who has Great Danes. She gives them each a raw chicken back every day. Doesn't seem like enough for such a big dog.

darthtang aw

I know someone from another board who has Great Danes. She gives them each a raw chicken back every day. Doesn't seem like enough for such a big dog.
It isn't and if that is all she feeds that dog will be deficient in lots of things.

reefraff

My dogs get kibble supplemented by people food. I got a bunch of leftover ham I need to chum them from new years

darthtang aw

So, by raw you mean uncooked meat?  What kind of meat? 
Beef, fish (stick with ocean caught less mercury contamination obviously), Lamb, Ostrich, Kangaroo, just about any meat....But I do tend to stay away from Pork....unless it is frozen along with using Hydrostatic High Pressure.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/394151/pitbulls-lets-have-the-debate/120#post_3508766
While this is the case asyou believe, it isn't exactly True.
Kibble Manufacturers extrude their food a different temperatures. The higher the quantity in the shortest amount of time, the increase in nutriet depletion through extrution. Adding back certain vitamins and minerals correct this, however these can be expensive in the overall cost to manufacture. Thus the need to feed higher amounts of food to meet guidelines of health. Ingredients can play a huge role in this as well. i know of several foods that have a 66% or higher meat content in them. These food generally require less cups of feeding for a few reasons, Meat doesn't lose as many nutrients through extrusion as grains and vegetables do. The other thing is these foods aren't in as a high of a demand and thus extrude at lower temperatures, 160 degrees instead of say 500 degrees so the nutrient loss is considerably less. They still add vitamins, minerals and even pro and prebiotics in many cases. This explains the difference.
An example...ol'roy about the worst and cheapest dog food around, takes 14 cups to feed a 100lb. dog.
So you're saying that not only am I feeding my dog their kibble but they also feeding me their cool aid? Damn these marketing majors.

Well we've always fed them chicken but it has been more of a random feeding then a set schedule. The treats we know are loaded with the bad stuff but so are some of the things we eat. It may be a slow poison but it tastes so damn good.
A 35lbs bag of the large breed stuff has been lasting the two dogs approximately a week. We get a new bag every weekend or buy a couple at a time. They are both between 55 - 65lbs and 1.5 - 1.75 years old. Science diet suggests 3 - 4.25 cups a piece per day. I keep a plastic glass inside of the dog food container that holds 2 cups. I feed 2 cups (4 ounces) in the morning and then another 4 ounces in the evening for a total of 8 ounces a day for both dogs. I plugged the number and it turns out that we are right in the target range for the recommended amount of serving per dog.
Do you have any good recommendations, how did you feed your danes and would that be ok for my terrier mix as well? I tried that blue buffalo brand with them a while back but it made them pretty gassy and they could really stink a place up quick.
It's not often but I do catch them eating grass from time to time and I know that it's a sign of something missing. Me and the wife are discussing it now. :)

darthtang aw

So you're saying that not only am I feeding my dog their kibble but they also feeding me their cool aid?  Damn these marketing majors. 

Well we've always fed them chicken but it has been more of a random feeding then a set schedule. The treats we know are loaded with the bad stuff but so are some of the things we eat.  It may be a slow poison but it tastes so damn good.
A 35lbs bag of the large breed stuff has been lasting the two dogs approximately a week.  We get a new bag every weekend or buy a couple at a time.  They are both between 55 - 65lbs and 1.5 - 1.75 years old.  Science diet suggests 3 - 4.25 cups a piece per day.  I keep a plastic glass inside of the dog food container that holds 2 cups.  I feed 2 cups (4 ounces) in the morning and then another 4 ounces in the evening for a total of 8 ounces a day for both dogs.  I plugged the number and it turns out that we are right in the target range for the recommended amount of serving per dog.
Do you have any good recommendations, how did you feed  your danes and would that be ok for my terrier mix as well?  I tried that blue buffalo brand with them a while back but it made them pretty gassy and they could really stink a place up quick.
It's not often but I do catch them eating grass from time to time and I know that it's a sign of something missing.  Me and the wife are discussing it now. :)
From a kibble standpoint I am really big on a food line called Legacy. It is made by Horizon. Small family owned business in Canada. Their facility cost 5 million to build. 90% of their ingredients are sourced within 60 miles of their plant. They know the farmers and the Ranchers personally. This way they can track their ingredients better instead of having 7 different suppliers for one ingredient from 4 areas of the world. Their food also has an 81% meat content. The highest on the market in a kibble. The gas from blue buffalo might be due to over feeding. some of these higher quality foods dont always need as much as the recommendations. Remember, each individual human needs a different caloric intake then the next human. Dogs are no different. metabolism, Thyroid, etc...etc... all play a role in this. A 60 lb. dog on the legacy would need roughly 2 cups a day. That is it. a 28 lb. bag will set you back about 60 bucks. But I assume you aren't dropping much less than that on science diet already.
The grass thing itself may not be a sign of something missing, they might just like the taste...but becareful with that. There have been cases of dogs eating grass (it doesn't digest much and will coat their stomach wall to help with "indigestion", however over time the grass builds up and sometimes surgery is required.