PlanemechFJ's 20Long Reef Tank

planemechfj

Current FTS: (06-03-2013) 2months old

Equipment:
Tank: Aqueon 20 Long
Filtration: Aqueon Quietflow 50 HOB filter
approx. 28 lbs of Mixed source live rock (Fiji, Florida, and unknown)
approx. 32 lbs of Aragonite Reef Substrate
Heater: Aqueon 100w
Flow: Aqueon 500gph powerhead
Lighting: Zoo Med Dual 24"fixture
10K and Actinic bulbs
on a Zoo med Timer

Livestock:

Fish: 2 Ocellaris Clownfish

Lawnmower Blenny

Inverts:
3 Scarlet Hermit Crabs

1 Striped Leg Hermit Crab?

1 Emerald Crab

4 Nassarius Snails ( 1 huge, 2 med, 1 very small )
(No pic Yet)
Colony of Feather Duster worms

/>
Corals: Brain Coral

Candy Cane

Frogspawn

Eagle eye zoo?

Neon Green Zoo?

and What I Think is a purple paly Hitchhiker. ( hard to get pic ) EDIT: See post #5.

That's It for now. This is my first reef tank or saltwater tank for that matter.
but so far things are going well. My last tests were good accept for calcium was
at 580 which seems high. pH was 8.2 and alk was 12 dkh. So I guess I am going
to wait a while and retest to see if things are changing.
Plans include possibly upgrading to some sort of overflow/sump setup.
add some more corals, an anemone, and maybe a banggai cardinalfish.
Let me know what you think, and any advice in regards to the banggai addition would
be greatly appreciated.

sweatervest13

Looks good. Not a bad job for a first SW tank. The plans for upgrading to a sump and overflow setup is a great idea. Sumps are a great place to hide equipment and it adds extra water volume to the system.
As for adding the cardinal, you should be fine. They don't do a whole lot, but they are a pretty fish.

planemechfj

Thanks sweatervest, I have been doing a lot of research on Diy pvc overflows or maybe an eshopps.
Just have to decide and commit. I plan on using another 20long for the sump itself.
also thanks for the info on the Cardinal, Yeah I really like the look they have. I will be adding one in a week or two as long as my parameters stay good.

planemechfj

So I just got the brain coral yesterday and I thought that the shells on the rock with it were dead. One cool looking empty oyster/clam? shell fell off in travel so I just put it in the tank cause it looked cool to me. I just saw the Turkey wing clams move and upon further inspection both the large and small one are indeed alive.
Honestly kinda scared me at first but apparently not uncommon from florida rock.

Seen just below the brain coral, very cool I think.

planemechfj

After some research this guy was actually an Majano anemone. I also found two Aiptasia nems. So I removed the 3 pieces of rock and injected the nems with steaming hot lemon juice.
This appears to have worked. I tried to buy a peppermint shrimp just for security but could not find one locally.
New Addition to the tank!:

Banggai Cardinal
Thats all for an update, also if the admins could move this to the share your tank forum. I think it would be more suited there.

S

siptang

Great first set up!
First zoanthids are eagle eyes, second one is radiating dragon eyes and yes florida rocks are awesome those clams are cool because they will clean your water as well.

planemechfj

Thanks for the ID, Siptang I was curious about the dragon eyes.
Small Update:
Been working on killing the aiptasia so I added 3 peppermint shrimp

Two of which are seen above, and the Third died shortly after being moved to the tank or was killed and then
my new plate coral proceeded to turn the shrimp into lunch.

WOW!
I also added a Mexican Turbo snail

And the large Turkey wing clam must not have been happy, it dropped off its foot and has moved.
Its not dead, but just laying on the sand now.

And last but not least, Not really a tank update but some equipment, also not really needed for the 20L more like planning
for a 125 gallon tank I will be getting from a guy I work with.

BRS 6 stage Chloramines with 150gpd upgrade and drinking water option.
**Note that I have Since installed the faucet, I needed a holes saw but could not resist hooking everything up.**
Thats all the update for now.

planemechfj

Thanks Siptang,
So no update but just did a water change and cleaned the tank so I thought I would post a FTS. Sorry its a lil blurry but you get the idea.

and I also got a cool picture of the cucumber.

planemechfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/395629/planemechfjs-20long-reef-tank#post_3524747
Looks great! Shows ya what you can do with a 20L....they're very versatile little tanks!!
Thanks nova, yes I really like the 20L but of course I would like a bigger tank. The 20L does fit well in smaller rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/395629/planemechfjs-20long-reef-tank#post_3524800
Cool sea cucumber!! I may get one!!
I know I was really excited after I found out what it was. Great hitchhiker. along with the clams.
Small Tank update:

I went to buy supplies for a PVC overflow and left my lfs with a new chalice coral.

Not the best color representation its actually darker purple/blue and the spots are yellow.
Definiteally my most expensive coral so I hope it does well.
But I got almost all my parts for the overflow and did a temp build/test setup to make sure it will work as advertised on youtube, lol.

It is currently running very smoothly and has passed a short power off test. I want
to run it for a while and the do a ten hour power off test. ( workday with OT )
Power out right when you leave back, on when you get home. I know this would be bad for the tank in other ways.
This is more about the health of the carpet.
If all goes well, I will seal up the pvc and pickup another 20L to use as a sump.

Thanks to this guy for test tank and stand.

novahobbies

LOL Almost everyone wants a bigger tank. I have a 110 and I secretly wish for a 265. Even though I complain about trying to reach the bottom in my 30" deep tank...I'd still do it with the 265 if I could get that tank. And my "second choice" is a 180g.

Keep an eye on that chalice. It might be my imagination, but the tissue looks a little thin on the skeleton there.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechFJ http:///t/395629/planemechfjs-20long-reef-tank#post_3524863
Small Tank update:

I went to buy supplies for a PVC overflow and left my lfs with a new chalice coral.

Not the best color representation its actually darker purple/blue and the spots are yellow.
Definiteally my most expensive coral so I hope it does well.
But I got almost all my parts for the overflow and did a temp build/test setup to make sure it will work as advertised on youtube, lol.

It is currently running very smoothly and has passed a short power off test. I want
to run it for a while and the do a ten hour power off test. ( workday with OT )
Power out right when you leave back, on when you get home. I know this would be bad for the tank in other ways.
This is more about the health of the carpet.
If all goes well, I will seal up the pvc and pickup another 20L to use as a sump.

Thanks to this guy for test tank and stand.

Be sure to test this design thoroughly. I did a similar (pretty much same) but dual design. It seemed a bit temperamental at times. Tank is looking nice, gl with it.

planemechfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/395629/planemechfjs-20long-reef-tank#post_3524906
LOL Almost everyone wants a bigger tank. I have a 110 and I secretly wish for a 265. Even though I complain about trying to reach the bottom in my 30" deep tank...I'd still do it with the 265 if I could get that tank. And my "second choice" is a 180g.

Keep an eye on that chalice. It might be my imagination, but the tissue looks a little thin on the skeleton there.
Good eye, I see now what your talking about. How Spiky the skin was, it has improved some its more bubbly now and a bright green rim has started showing. I don't think it enjoyed the move very much but seems to be settling in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/395629/planemechfjs-20long-reef-tank#post_3524912
I had a 900 gallon and my wife insisted that I could not convert the 32,000 gallon pool to a reef.

This would be very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///t/395629/planemechfjs-20long-reef-tank#post_3524914
Be sure to test this design thoroughly. I did a similar (pretty much same) but dual design. It seemed a bit temperamental at times. Tank is looking nice, gl with it.
As of right now I am not pleased at all. The testing showed exactly what you said. Very hit or miss when doing power off restarts. Debating now if I want to test a design change or get a 20L drilled.
Not sure what I'm gonna do for now.
tank related update:

I bought this app: http://www.aquarimate.com. It was 10 bucks kinda pricey but it does look sleek and seems to have a lot of neat features. I think it will become more useful the longer you use it, as you will be able to view the time lines and track data. either way it motivated me to check all my parameters today so here are the results.

I don't have a magnesium test kit, any brand suggestions?

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemechFJ http:///t/395629/planemechfjs-20long-reef-tank#post_3525027
Good eye, I see now what your talking about. How Spiky the skin was, it has improved some its more bubbly now and a bright green rim has started showing. I don't think it enjoyed the move very much but seems to be settling in.

Now, THAT is a healthy looking chalice! And some beautiful colors I might add. I wish I could say I learned what a sick chalice is from reading on the internet, but sadly, I've learned that from direct experience. FYI, chalices don't seem to enjoy cooler 74 degree temps of a seahorse tank. Just sayin'.

novahobbies

Oh, I like that App! I think I may buy it. I record much of my data on my SWF journal, but there's no real way of retrieving that data without searching thru the pages.