please help

i got 2 baby black seahorses for the fist time and one of them seems to be breathing kinda heavy and i noticed that around its gills its getting a little brown. its brown near the top of its gills where its head begins. i dont know much about seahorse diseases but i think i may have a problem.
and can someone tell me what kind of seahorse he/she is?

teresaq

Looks like H Comes aka Tiger tail. Are they captive bred, or wild?
Has this horse been wormed, . How long have you had it?
What size tank?? Do you have an air line in your tank, If not add one. No air stone, just an open air line.
T

i think its wild but it does eat frozen mysid shrimp.
what does wormed mean?
ive had it for 3 days.
my tank is a 24gal nano cube. and my tank is about 5 months old.

ann83

Deworming seahorses rids them of internal parasites. I actually just posted a thread on it.
The airline will help provide surface agitation, which will aid in gas exchange, which will help if there isn't enough oxygen or is too much carbon dioxide. She probably recommended it because of the heavy breathing.
No, H. comes are not rare, though it is very rare to see one that is truly captive bred and parasite-free.

dive girl

Nice little tiger you have. Do you have any other photos? It's hard to tell but it does look like algae on the horse. Did you do a freshwater dip?
How much do you know about seahorses? They are wonderful but do require some specialized care.
Do you have any other animals in that tank with your seahorses? Fish, inverts, corals, macro? The reason I ask is because there are more things than not that aren't recommended as tank mates for seahorses.
You might want to start reading some of the older posts, that can help fill you in on some of their care.

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3126626
Deworming seahorses rids them of internal parasites. I actually just posted a thread on it.
The airline will help provide surface agitation, which will aid in gas exchange, which will help if there isn't enough oxygen or is too much carbon dioxide. She probably recommended it because of the heavy breathing.
No, H. comes are not rare, though it is very rare to see one that is truly captive bred and parasite-free.
how do i deworm???

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/3126915
Nice little tiger you have. Do you have any other photos? It's hard to tell but it does look like algae on the horse. Did you do a freshwater dip?
How much do you know about seahorses? They are wonderful but do require some specialized care.
Do you have any other animals in that tank with your seahorses? Fish, inverts, corals, macro? The reason I ask is because there are more things than not that aren't recommended as tank mates for seahorses.
You might want to start reading some of the older posts, that can help fill you in on some of their care.
i got a pic of the back of its head where its starting to get brown...

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/3126915
should i do a freshwater dip?
im scared to do something like that. what if it goes wrong?..
how long should i do it?
does the PH have to be the same? temp?
how do i make the PH the same?
OMG this is so stressful

im worried.
both of the seahorses didnt eat anything today.
i know enough to keep them alive but i dont know much about diseases and parasites. but i was reading a site on the internet about seahorse skin rot and im affraid it might be that...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

dive girl

Here's Ann's post on the deworming: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/364843/deworming-wild-caught-and-tank-raised-seahorses
It looks like algae. If you have a turkey baster, lightly squirt water where the discoloration is, it won't hurt the seahorse but it should loosen the algae.

teresaq

looks like algea to me.
I would be more worried about them not eatting. Do you have a QT tank?
Did you purchase them from a lfs or a breeder? Can you get adult brine shrimp or small ghost shrimp?
T

ann83

The brown definitely looks like algae. Is the tank newly set up?
To do a freshwater dip, use RO/DI water or dechlorinated tap water. Add a marine buffer (I usually use Seachem Marine Buffer), and aerate the water for an hour. Then check the pH. If it needs to be higher, add a little more buffer, aerate for another hour, etc. until you get a perfectly matching pH to the display tank. During this time, also ensure that the temperature in the freshwater is the same as the display, and that that temperature is stable. If you have to use a heater, make sure you remove it before you add the seahorse. Leave the airline in the freshwater, and add a fake hitch (fake plant, rigid airline tubing, etc.) to the freshwater. Now you're ready to dip.
Put the seahorse in the water and monitor it closely. If the seahorse twitches, swims around erratically, etc., that's okay. So is sitting calmly. However, if the seahorse lays on the bottom and becomes unresponsive (you touch it gently it with your finger with no response), remove the seahorse immediately back to saltwater. Otherwise, leave the seahorse in the dip for 12 minutes. Freshwater dips are pretty harmless and seahorses tolerate them very well.
After the freshwater dip, you are going to want to put the seahorse in a quarantine tank, not back in the display. Not even back in the display for a second while you set up a quarantine tank. So get the QT tank set up first, if you don't have it set up already. If the seahorse has external parasites, those external parasites are now in the display. The display needs to sit fishless during the 9 weeks that you are deworming the seahorse(s) in the quarantine tank to rid it of most external parasites.
Like other's said, though, the bigger issue right now is the fact that they aren't eating. Seahorses can go about 4 days without food before their digestive system shuts down (meaning if they started eating after that point, they'd still likely die). Considering these seahorses are not captive bred, it is possible they've gone off frozen (or were never really on it to begin with). Try some live foods. Your best bets will be things that resemble natural food items like live mysis, live ghost/glass shrimp (freshwater or saltwater, doesn't matter), any other small live shrimp, or live amphipods. Barring that, you can try live adult brine shrimp, but a lot of WC/TR seahorses don't recognize them as food, and they definitely need to be gutloaded to make them nutritious and cannot be relied on as a long-term diet.
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature)? Various parameters can throw seahorses off their food, too.

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3127048
The brown definitely looks like algae. Is the tank newly set up?
To do a freshwater dip, use RO/DI water or dechlorinated tap water. Add a marine buffer (I usually use Seachem Marine Buffer), and aerate the water for an hour. Then check the pH. If it needs to be higher, add a little more buffer, aerate for another hour, etc. until you get a perfectly matching pH to the display tank. During this time, also ensure that the temperature in the freshwater is the same as the display, and that that temperature is stable. If you have to use a heater, make sure you remove it before you add the seahorse. Leave the airline in the freshwater, and add a fake hitch (fake plant, rigid airline tubing, etc.) to the freshwater. Now you're ready to dip.
Put the seahorse in the water and monitor it closely. If the seahorse twitches, swims around erratically, etc., that's okay. So is sitting calmly. However, if the seahorse lays on the bottom and becomes unresponsive (you touch it gently it with your finger with no response), remove the seahorse immediately back to saltwater. Otherwise, leave the seahorse in the dip for 12 minutes. Freshwater dips are pretty harmless and seahorses tolerate them very well.
After the freshwater dip, you are going to want to put the seahorse in a quarantine tank, not back in the display. Not even back in the display for a second while you set up a quarantine tank. So get the QT tank set up first, if you don't have it set up already. If the seahorse has external parasites, those external parasites are now in the display. The display needs to sit fishless during the 9 weeks that you are deworming the seahorse(s) in the quarantine tank to rid it of most external parasites.
Like other's said, though, the bigger issue right now is the fact that they aren't eating. Seahorses can go about 4 days without food before their digestive system shuts down (meaning if they started eating after that point, they'd still likely die). Considering these seahorses are not captive bred, it is possible they've gone off frozen (or were never really on it to begin with). Try some live foods. Your best bets will be things that resemble natural food items like live mysis, live ghost/glass shrimp (freshwater or saltwater, doesn't matter), any other small live shrimp, or live amphipods. Barring that, you can try live adult brine shrimp, but a lot of WC/TR seahorses don't recognize them as food, and they definitely need to be gutloaded to make them nutritious and cannot be relied on as a long-term diet.
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature)? Various parameters can throw seahorses off their food, too.
WOW
12 minute freshwater dip??? wont they die!?
i bought it from my LFS n they said it was captive breed but i don't believe them. they don't seem to have any parasites just a little algae on there bodies. i will do the freshwater dip.
and for the QT tank don't i have to wait like a month before i put them in there? cause of all the cycling that has to be done?
they do eat the frozen mysids but like one or two piece every feeding. i feed them twice a day.
my tank isn't new its like 5 or 6 months old but i haven't turned the lights on for like a month before i got them and I'm getting brown algae everywhere.
can the QT be like a small 10gal tank? cause that's the only tank i have extra.

meowzer

IDK anything about the other stuff, but the fastest way to set up a qt is to use the water from your existing tank....you do not use sand or rock in a qt....just put some plastic plants for the horse to hitch
also with a 10G you must watch your water parameters, and be prepared to do water changes...

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3127197
IDK anything about the other stuff, but the fastest way to set up a qt is to use the water from your existing tank....you do not use sand or rock in a qt....just put some plastic plants for the horse to hitch
also with a 10G you must watch your water parameters, and be prepared to do water changes...
so should i just do like a normal 10% water change but use that water for the QT? then fill the rest up with saltwater from the store? do i have to wait for a cycle or anything?

meowzer

Originally Posted by seahorse1000
http:///forum/post/3127214
so should i just do like a normal 10% water change but use that water for the QT? then fill the rest up with saltwater from the store? do i have to wait for a cycle or anything?
There is nothing to cycle since you are not adding new sand or rock.,like I said you don't add either
and YES...take 10G's from your dt.....and put new sw in your dt...BE SURE to keep fresh sw made up for your water changes in your 10G...you may have to do it daily...