please help

meowzer

Originally Posted by seahorse1000
http:///forum/post/3127232
EVERY DAY??
Seahorses are not like anything else...they are a lot of work, and 2 in a 10g qt will need a lot of attention, you will need to siphon out any uneaten food, and also their poop....
What I am saying is YES...it is possible with 2 horses in a 10G that you may have to do daily water changes

teresaq

its great they ate a little more, but 4 pieces still isnt much. I watched my young erectus that is like 3 inches - eat 15 to 20 pieces last night all by himself. At least they are eatting like twice a day.
T

ann83

Get a sponge filter or two, and get some refrigerated bacteria like BioSpira or Fritzyme to help jump start the cycle in the QT. Hopefully that will allow you do do smaller daily water changes, at least.
12 minutes on a FW dip is fine. 20 minutes is actually fine.
A 10 gallon tank with plenty of hitches is fine for a QT.
Like Teresa said, they need to be eating more than that.

reefnutpa

Yes.... you want to keep the QT tank immaculately clean. I siphon the entire bottom of the tank to remove uneaten food pieces, poop, etc twice a day - morning and night. When I walk by the tanks, if I see poop laying there I grab the siphon hose and get it out right away. Usually in a days time, with the morning and night siphon and the periodic siphoning throughout the day I probably change 5 gallons of water daily.
So, yes, a QT tank takes lots of saltwater...and a fair amount of time until you get some sponge filters in there to start to colonize bacteria and help keep the water parameters in check.
You do not want ANY ammonia in your QT tank. You must test daily - if you have ANY ammonia reading you must do a water change to lower it back to 0ppm.
Best of luck....
Tom

mr.clownfish

ok im getting the QT ready.
im still kinda nervous about 12 minute freshwater dip....
oh and are zoos ok to have with seahorses?

ok im going to get the QT ready in a couple of days.
they are eating very good now. and it was very easy training them to eat frozen food. the thing with the food is that they are huge pieces. thats why they can only eat like 4 or 5 pieces. they can barely swallow the shrimp. they are only babies. you can see how small they are by comparing it to the thermometer in the first pic. They eat twice a day. the days that im home i feed them 3 times a day.
but how can i get rid of the algae thats growing on them? thats the only thing that bothers me.

meowzer

Originally Posted by seahorse1000
http:///forum/post/3129132
OMG
i just cheeked it is PE mysis.
is that bad? are they going to die!

NOOOO...LOl...They are just bigger....
regular mysis is much smaller, and much easier for the horses to eat...you might want to try to get some of that
also PE really needs to be rinsed (from what I have been told)

is it ok if i use some of this stuff to get rid of the algae in my tank? im having like an algae bloom and hair algae is starting to grow on the back side of my tank. will it harm the seahorses?

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3129139
NOOOO...LOl...They are just bigger....
regular mysis is much smaller, and much easier for the horses to eat...you might want to try to get some of that
also PE really needs to be rinsed (from what I have been told)
omg u gave me a heart attack
. i thought it was for freshwater fish only.
but they do eat it. so i think it will be ok. and yeah i do rinse it like 2 times.

ann83

I wouldn't use the algaecide. Instead, manually remove the algae, and also increase the frequency and/or volume of your water changes.
As for the algae on the seahorses, you can gently brush it off with your finger, or gently blow it off with an eyedropper.
We need clear shots of the body, preferably from the side, to determine gender. I really can't tell from the two most recent pics, though it appears female. The pics in posts #1, 10, and 16 are of a female.

Originally Posted by ann83
http:///forum/post/3129299
I wouldn't use the algaecide. Instead, manually remove the algae, and also increase the frequency and/or volume of your water changes.
As for the algae on the seahorses, you can gently brush it off with your finger, or gently blow it off with an eyedropper.
We need clear shots of the body, preferably from the side, to determine gender. I really can't tell from the two most recent pics, though it appears female. The pics in posts #1, 10, and 16 are of a female.
i only have 6 pics...