Post questions that don't need a thread here!

beatlesfan

I was just thinking about how many questions I had when I first came here although I never thought they mattered enough to post a thread. So just post them here and we will try to answer them as best we can.
This may or may not help I just thought I would give it a try.

lion_crazz

Not to offend you Beatlesfan, because I know this thead is in good intention, but threads can be posted on anything fish/reef/aquarium related. I like to tell people that the only stupid question is the one that goes without being asked.

triga22

I can remember this too. I think its a good idea. There are so many small quick questions that I never asked becuase I thought they were a waste. Deffinatly good idea.

jsteph24

Ok i just asked this in my own thread and thought maybe it could just go here instead.

[hr]
I am going to order a new powerhead from swf.com here and have a quick question. I currently have a 55 gallon tank but am planning on upgrading to a 90 or 125 probably in a year. What powerhead(s) should I order for my tank so I can use them now and still use them in a bigger tank later on? I was looking at getting possibly 2 maxi-jet 1200's but I am not sure. Are the Rio PH's better? Thanks for any help!
-Joe

reefforbrains

MJ1200's are industry staple IMO. In a 125 you will probably need quite a bit more depending on your rockwork and ect. I just think ya cant lose on 1200, they never go to waste.

joncat24

jsteph24---for future reference...youl will get more detailed and quicker responses if you only post the same ?? in one thread. When people have to bounce back and forth it gets a little frustrating.
Post the ?? and if you egt no response in a bit then bump it back up after a couple of hours.

30-xtra high

i've always wondered what sps and lps mean?.. soft.. plate?
and by the way.. this was a great idea and should be a sticky.

lion_crazz

The 3 common categories of coral classification are:
1. Soft corals
2. large polyp stony corals (LPS)
3. small polyp stony corals (SPS)

hot883

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
thank you, stony corals need nicer lighting, am i correct? pc's couldn't cut it for stonies right?
Not nicer, More PAR. Watts is not as important as PAR.

beatlesfan

Thanks for the support! Also I was wondering if it is best to feed fish in extremely small doses like 3 times a day or in regular portions every other day. I just thought that it would naturally simulate them findign food multiple times a day.
Keep the questions coming!

tinysmajick

Hi, I am a newbie.
I am attempting to help another newbie in a different thread.
Question is: Is 250 gph enough for a 46 gal.?
Thanks in advance

michaeltx

Thanks for the support! Also I was wondering if it is best to feed fish in extremely small doses like 3 times a day or in regular portions every other day. I just thought that it would naturally simulate them findign food multiple times a day.
most fish are grazers I only feed the tank 1-2 times a week the rest of the time they forage on the rocks and do very well. I know of some people that have stopped feeding all together and hae fat and happy fish. so it really depends on the fish and system that you have on how much you feed. Generarlly once a day is more than enough.
Question is: Is 250 gph enough for a 46 gal.?
if its for a reef tank you want a total of about 10 times turnover rate an hour but you also want to look at current and dead spots the best thing is smaller powerheads placed throughout the tank to give a more natural wave patern and prevent dead spots. I would never go with just one powerhead. I have 3 powerheads/pumps and one return pump in my 58 gallon tank and still want more turnover than I have now.
HTH
Mike

tinysmajick

Thank you sooo much for your help.

I will relay the message.
Looks like I need to upgrade as well then, mine is turning 8.
Thanks again
(Correction. Nevermind, my miscalculation. Mine is a little over 10. Still could be more though
)

michaeltx

Why is it always windy on Satrudays? :)
LOL cause you want to be outside on a nice pretty day so it has to do something to annoy you
O yeah and most people are off work

earlybird

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
LOL cause you want to be outside on a nice pretty day so it has to do something to annoy you
O yeah and most people are off work
I hate it. I fish on Saturdays and it's always windy on the water. I swear if I get to meet God, that's the first question I'll ask.