Private Schools and evolutionary theory

beaslbob

Quote:Originally Posted by GeriDoc http:///t/396331/private-schools-and-evolutionary-theory/160#post_3531644

OK, I suppose you would call me an "evolutionist", so here goes.  Carbon dating is only useful to about 50,000 years ago, which is too short a time to date evolutionary events, which typically take longer to manifest themselves.  The carbon dating thing is just a straw-man.  And, just for the sake of good logic, it is actually impossible to prove the theory of evolution, only to disprove it, and nobody has done so.  In the years since Darwin, as biological, chemical and geological sciences have progressed and subjected the predictions of Darwin's theory to ever advancing analysis, some of his ideas have not held up, and have been set aside as the theory has been refined and clarified, but the core observations and ideas remain.  In particular, the time-frame  is extensive (multi-millions of years), all life is derived from previously existing life through a process of diversification and adaptation produced by a variety of conditions (isolation, environmental challenge, etc.)  Everything we have learned from the scientific examination of evolutionary processes is consistent with these ideas.  Evolutionary theory has survived and developed not for lack of trying, but precisely because scientists have tried mightily to prove it false.  Believe me, if I could disprove even one of the core ideas of evolution, I would, because in that direction lies fame, fortune and a preferred parking spot on campus!

And there we go. Right into the "creationist trap".
There are always "holes" in any scientific theory.
always inaccuracies in investigations.
that is part and parcle of science.
Which allows the religious person to bring up all these "proofs" that science is wrong.
All of which compeltely ignores the basic difference between science which assumes the universe is a great mass of stuff constantly changing from one thing to another. and has been here forever.
As opposed to a religious logic system which assumes there is something ultimate, which there is nothing beyond and all powerful which is capable of creating stuff.
Those two systems simply cannot be reconcilled in any logical way.

2quills

Why is it that Catholic religious schools seem to have the advantage of producing kids that test better in all subjects, Math, English, History and yes Science (imagine that)?

darthtang aw

Why is it that Catholic religious schools seem to have the advantage of producing kids that test better in all subjects, Math, English, History and yes Science (imagine that)?
Less extra curricular stuff taught or held. Music, band, sports,?

2quills

I grew up next to a place called Catholic Central High School, they were notorious for producing state champion athletes and even some olympic hopefuls.

Here's the most comprehensive study I could find that dug into the details of the different types of schools vs public schools. Even gets into the variables... http://www.edline.com/uploads/pdf/PrivateSchoolsReport.

It could have something to do with the discipline, Seth. Both at school and on the home front. My fathers side of our family is very roman-catholic. Even though my dad wasn't a wildly religious fellow when I was young he did drill discipline into me at a very young age and never really quit. Heck, I was enrolled in martial arts, shooting fire arms and doing morning calisthenics before I ever knew what hit me lol.

snakeblitz33

Extra curricular activities can encourage students to be better at time management and responsibility. It's not just discipline, I don't think, because if you have to practice for a martial art, you also have to get your school work done on time and correctly in order to participate. So it teaches a wide range of worthwhile skills.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/396331/private-schools-and-evolutionary-theory/180#post_3531719
It's not just discipline, I don't think, because if you have to practice for a martial art, you also have to get your school work done on time and correctly in order to participate.

Well when I was in 6th grade my grades began to slip just a bit (got a D) so I was grounded for a semester from everything but karate class and school work. There were threats of pulling me from karate if I didn't shape up. I may have gotten angry at them a lot back then but I am thankfull for many of those lessons today.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/396331/private-schools-and-evolutionary-theory/180#post_3531704
Why is it that Catholic religious schools seem to have the advantage of producing kids that test better in all subjects, Math, English, History and yes Science (imagine that)?

One thing that stands out is that they don't teach religion during science. But actually, I believe the primary reason is that Catholic school students generally have parents who care and nurture their kids education more so than the general population.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I was in soccer for a while growing up. I enjoyed it and it was something to do. I was actually part of a chess club in both my high schools I attended, and I am saying that with pride. Also during highschool I took Shotokan Karate and got a black belt. Here's the kicker: whatever I did, joined, etc. I had to want to do and I had to pay for and figure out a way to get there. My parents made sure that I paid for my own stuff, and earned every penny. That also taught me responsibility, discipline and desire for more...

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/396331/private-schools-and-evolutionary-theory/180#post_3531723

One thing that stands out is that they don't teach religion during science. But actually, I believe the primary reason is that Catholic school students generally have parents who care and nurture their kids education more so than the general population.

And I agree with this. In general, parents that let their kids attend private schools want a "better than average" education for their children and in general foster that experience better then parents that don't.

Last year a child in my wife's first grade class couldn't read, write, or pass a math exam (2+6). Here's the kicker - this was the third time he had attended first grade. (Think, a 9 year old) He came from a poor family background as well and his education was being funded by a scholarship. There was no way that this child could pass - so he was asked to get tested for mental deficiencies, but his parents wouldn't permit it and get him the help that he needed and the specialized education required for his success. Now, is this my wife's fault for not being able to teach this child, or was it the parents fault for not getting him the specialized attention he required?

2quills

Every bit of evidence that I know to have seen would seem to support the idea that a proper support structure will virtually always produce better results. I believe the conclusion of the study supports this as well. Because interestingly enough the studies seem to say that private schools themselves don't really have any particular advantage in most cases than public schools.

Now I didn't turn out to be a scientist, I was a much better athlete than I was an academic (obviously). But believe me when I tell you that I could have very easily turned out much worse than I did lol. And I feel that the reason I didn't was because I had great some great parents that did everything in the world that they could to support me and teach me to think for myself along the way. Education starts at home first.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/396331/private-schools-and-evolutionary-theory/180#post_3531724
Yeah, I was in soccer for a while growing up. I enjoyed it and it was something to do. I was actually part of a chess club in both my high schools I attended, and I am saying that with pride. Also during highschool I took Shotokan Karate and got a black belt. Here's the kicker: whatever I did, joined, etc. I had to want to do and I had to pay for and figure out a way to get there. My parents made sure that I paid for my own stuff, and earned every penny. That also taught me responsibility, discipline and desire for more...

I didn't have to pay my way through sports. I had daily chores and then if the daily chores were done I could do extra's to earn an allowance. That's how I had to learn in order to pay for the things I wanted. Ofcorse, I was always advised to spend wisely and yet my parents love the fish tank anyway lol.

darthtang aw

Look at this.
http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by#detailed/1/any/false/867,133,38,35,18/10,168,9,12,1,13,185/432,431
Then read this..
http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2010/2010015.pdf

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/396331/private-schools-and-evolutionary-theory/180#post_3531726

And I agree with this. In general, parents that let their kids attend private schools want a "better than average" education for their children and in general foster that experience better then parents that don't.

Last year a child in my wife's first grade class couldn't read, write, or pass a math exam (2+6). Here's the kicker - this was the third time he had attended first grade. (Think, a 9 year old) He came from a poor family background as well and his education was being funded by a scholarship. There was no way that this child could pass - so he was asked to get tested for mental deficiencies, but his parents wouldn't permit it and get him the help that he needed and the specialized education required for his success. Now, is this my wife's fault for not being able to teach this child, or was it the parents fault for not getting him the specialized attention he required?

It is ultimately the parents responsibility to educate their children in my opinion. Therefore they should be making all of the decisions, good or bad.