Project 300 is underway!!!

the claw

Dang, just surfin through and seen your post. Looks like my house at the moment. I'm putting in a 180 into my wall from my 150. ITs quite the project isn't it.

daceman89

Originally posted by RobChuck
And here is what the eductor, closed loop intake, and Wavebox look like from the front of that same overflow box. (That long section of primered PVC is only temporary. I'm looking for a 3/4" FNPT to FNPT connector to shorten the length of each eductor hose).

Where can i get the 3/4" eductors and the 3/4" FNPT to FNTP connecters for my returns from my Iwalki 70.

robchuck

Originally posted by daceman89
Where can i get the 3/4" eductors and the 3/4" FNPT to FNTP connecters for my returns from my Iwalki 70.

I sent an email to you the other day. Let me know if you need me to resend it.

joker_ca

thats one way to make people not like you j/k
man im so jealous

when i win the lottery im going to put a big tank like that into my house.......one day
cant wait to see how it turns out man, looking great:yes: :yes: :yes:

druluv

On the Tunze Wave Box, you might need the extension box to get some more with it. I have one and it is the best I have seen to date. But tank may a little to long for the wave box to reach the other side of the tank, unless you plan your sps nearer to the wave box.
Love the Tank, I would love to do the same thing in my House.

robchuck

Originally posted by druluv
On the Tunze Wave Box, you might need the extension box to get some more with it. I have one and it is the best I have seen to date. But tank may a little to long for the wave box to reach the other side of the tank, unless you plan your sps nearer to the wave box.
Love the Tank, I would love to do the same thing in my House.

After water testing, it looks like I'll only need the one Wavebox. It moves a ton of water as it is, and the aquascaping will have an open feel to it. I agree that this is the best wavemaker on the market.
Plus, there is a member of my reef club with a 330g that's a little longer and taller than my tank tank that only has one box on it. His supplemental flow is about what I have, and the single box has no problem making a wave.
Thanks for the kind words about the tank!

robchuck

Update!!!
Even though I had to work most of the day today, I was able to get some work done on the tank for the first time in a few days. I've got about 200 gallons of RO/DI sitting in the tank mixed with alot of salt. I'm slowly getting it up to 35ppt (and SLOWLY warming the water).
The side wall is now completely framed and ready for drywall tomorrow.
Right now I'm working on mounting the lights. With inspiration drawn from another reefer, I've devised a way to mount and move my lights using some PVC (I'll post pics of that tomorrow).
I'm still right on target to have the livestock moved into the new display tomorrow! I plan to mix and match pitchers of water from one tank to another (300g display, 100g tub #1, 100g tub #2, 29g reef) tomorrow to acclimate everything together, so that I can just "grab and go" when I move the livestock over (I imagine this will take most of the day). Plus, the rock has ALOT of aiptasia on it, so I've been using Joe's Juice for a couple of days now to attempt to rid their population. It's worked, but there are still alot of them around.
I'll be back with pics late tomorrow night!

daceman89

Originally posted by RobChuck
I sent an email to you the other day. Let me know if you need me to resend it.

sorry to crowd your very interesting thread, i just wanted to ask you some advice, For a 180 gal tank do you think if i purchase the Tunze wave box, I have the tunze stream pump 6000 and a multicontrller and will purchase 1 more stream pump 6100, and put 2 penductors on returns from sump will be good enough? do you think i could get by without the closed loop. I read your reply about the penductors being set up with the return and siphoning back. but my sump can hold about another 60 gallons so i think i would be ok with the penductors being 2 or 3 inches below the water. i really would love to put a closed loop but it's either the wave box or the sea swirls with the closed loop, dude thanks for all your help and i'm glued to my computer waiting for your updates

robchuck

Today was the big day; I've got all of the livestock in the tank!!! I spent most of the afternoon working on some of the fishroom construction while I waited for the water to warm up. 800W of heaters and more than 24 hours later, the water in the tank was finally warm enough to start mixing with water from my other tanks. I started transfering live rock at 10pm CDT and just finished at about 1:30am. Whew!
It's a good thing I played alot of Tetris as a kid, because it took me several tries to find enough space for all the corals (there's a problem I've never encountered before!).
Prior to the livestock transfer, I did quite a bit on the fishroom. I still have to rehang the lights, set up some of the ancillary equipment (calcium reactor, skimmer, kalk reactor, controller, and chiller). The plan is to do most of that tomorrow. Plus I have a little bit of construction left, but it mainly involves painting and sanding of the drywall, and a few pieces of trim here and there.

robchuck

I guess all that salty air I've been breathing in caused me to forget to attach the pic...let's try it again:

robchuck

A closer shot of the tank (I'll get some better shots of the animals after I get the lights hung and let things have a chance to settle down a little):

robchuck

Here is what the room looks like from the perspective of the stairs (notice the window giving a small glimpse into the happenings on the left side of the reef):

robchuck

Originally posted by daceman89
sorry to crowd your very interesting thread, i just wanted to ask you some advice, For a 180 gal tank do you think if i purchase the Tunze wave box, I have the tunze stream pump 6000 and a multicontrller and will purchase 1 more stream pump 6100, and put 2 penductors on returns from sump will be good enough? do you think i could get by without the closed loop. I read your reply about the penductors being set up with the return and siphoning back. but my sump can hold about another 60 gallons so i think i would be ok with the penductors being 2 or 3 inches below the water. i really would love to put a closed loop but it's either the wave box or the sea swirls with the closed loop, dude thanks for all your help and i'm glued to my computer waiting for your updates

Given the equipment you already have, I would go with the Wavebox and the Penductors on the return. The Tunzes on the multicontroller (including the Wavebox) will provide you with much more dynamic flow than the Sea Swirls would.
With the Penductors, there is a chance that they could draw in air being that close to the surface. My Aquatic Ecosystems Eductors were originally about 4" below the surface, and would occasionally gulp a breath of air. Now they're about 6-7" below the surface and are no longer causing problems.