Project 300 is underway!!!

robchuck

Originally posted by italianwjt
Holy Crap, the progress you made is awesome. Question...if you dont mind me asking....But, how much did the tank/fish/supplies cost you?

Typically, I don't like to discuss finances openly, but one of the biggest goals in setting up this tank was to create a stunning reef on a minimal budget with as few shortcuts as possible. In the end, I will only be out around $3,700 for the tank and construction materials.
I posted that figure to demonstrate that it doesn't take 10's of thousands of dollars to put a large reef together, but rather a knack for finding a good deal on used equipment, some minor DIY skills, and a patient wife!
Even though the tank was started on a minimal budget, monthly operating expenses can't be discounted. The electricity alone to run this tank will cost about $80 a month, along with another $100 or so per month of maintenance goods (salt, food, etc.). But fortunately I'm in an area with a good frag trading network, so I hope to make up some of those expenses with trading and selling of frags.

robchuck

The project still isn't complete as I still have some finishing work to do, a few pieces of equipment still to set up, and things like cleaning magnets still left to purchase.

fishybiz

Hey Rob,
Your tank looks AWESOME, I am so jealous, really.
I'm sure you already have thought of this but I feel inclined to say it anyway, be SO careful with cleaning magnets on your acrylic. One tiny piece of sand or anything at all gets in there and it will scratch the heck out of the tank.
Keep up the good work and thanks so much for that OH SO DRAMATIC interval in the pictures. It was worth the wait!:cheer:

robchuck

Thanks for the kind words and the heads up on the magnets. I was aware of the situation, but don't expect to have any problems without having any sand in the tank! :D

fishybiz

Rob,
I noticed that you don't have any sand on the bottom. I figured maybe you were planning on staying "bare bottom" but wanted to mention it anyway. Was your other tank bare bottom as well? What do you find to be the best things about the bare bottom tank? (other than no sand in the magnets. lol) I have heard many people talk about it but there are so many differing opinions, one more would be welcome.
Chris

lillibirdy

I agree with everyone, amazing! Can we see a pic of the whole wall, with the tank lit? I drool over the in the wall tanks...
KathyW

I

italianwjt

Originally posted by LiveRock27
Tank looks great! All the hardwork you put into the project really paid off. Keep the pictures coming.

G

glaekenjz

Wow! Really a beautiful setup, and so much of it was done DIY. I'm really impressed.