Project 300 is underway!!!

robchuck

Originally posted by Fishybiz
Rob,
I noticed that you don't have any sand on the bottom. I figured maybe you were planning on staying "bare bottom" but wanted to mention it anyway. Was your other tank bare bottom as well? What do you find to be the best things about the bare bottom tank? (other than no sand in the magnets. lol) I have heard many people talk about it but there are so many differing opinions, one more would be welcome.
Chris

This is the first display tank that I've run bare bottomed, so I can't really provide any conclusions about the tank fares without a substrate. This tank has tons of flow and after 10 days, I have yet to see any detrititus built up on the bottom of the tank. Plus, I have yet to clean either display pane and can't see any of that green film algae building up yet that I've had in all my other tanks.
I also run all of my QT's bare bottomed, and found that it makes it very to keep detritus off the bottom of the tank and prevent nitrates from climbing.

robchuck

Originally posted by getit
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!

Are you going to add anything else?

Not for awhile. I just want to leave everything alone and watch it grow.

robchuck

Originally posted by lillibirdy
I agree with everyone, amazing! Can we see a pic of the whole wall, with the tank lit? I drool over the in the wall tanks...
KathyW

Originally posted by Thejdshow

I too would love to see a great "whole picture"

The only whole tank pics I have are already posted. I had a difficult time taking the pics that are already there (alot of the problem stems from the light leaking out around the tank; trim will fix that). I probably won't post any more "full" shots until everything is finished.

robchuck

Originally posted by Fishybiz
Hey Rob,
In the pic of the two clowns, what is the brown coral just below them? it looks great.

I'm not quite sure, but it's an Acropora of some sort.

fishybiz

Wow, that looks really good. I enjoyed the video. I like how the clown just disappears into the anemone. Is the strength of the current on the anemone the usual preference? Is that how strong the water movement is through the whole tank or did you put the anemone in the strongest flow? I like the movement of it, it's not a constant stream like with a PH, is that the way the wavemaker works? I've never had one but I'm thinking about it. It seems as if it would be more natural. IT LOOKS GREAT!! :jumping:

robchuck

Originally Posted by inkman2004
Tank looks great. I watched the video too. Everything looks great.
Thanks! It still looks like a work in progress to me, mainly because the outside of the room still needs to be finished.

robchuck

Originally Posted by Fishybiz
Wow, that looks really good. I enjoyed the video. I like how the clown just disappears into the anemone. Is the strength of the current on the anemone the usual preference? Is that how strong the water movement is through the whole tank or did you put the anemone in the strongest flow? I like the movement of it, it's not a constant stream like with a PH, is that the way the wavemaker works? I've never had one but I'm thinking about it. It seems as if it would be more natural. IT LOOKS GREAT!! :jumping:
Thanks!
Those clowns are pretty wacky. Neither of them had ever swam into an anemone prior to this tank being set up. The first and second mornings after they were moved into this tank, I woke up to find one in one of the overflow boxes, and the other clown in the other overflow box. I left for vacation, letting the caretaker know that they would probably find the clowns in the overflows while I was away, but I came back to see them both swimming in the anemone, and the caretaker said she never had to net either clown out of the overflow.
The anemone walked to the location it's currently in, so I would say that's it's preference. The currently is especially strong there because the output of the Wavebox is constantly pulsing not far from the anemone. The current is probably the strongest right there, but is pretty strong throughout the rest of the tank. The wave motion in the tank is created by the Wavebox, but a pair of Sea Swirls on the return pump line also help to create random water flow in the tank. And what you see in the video is about what most wavemakers will give you.