protein skimmer recommendations

waterlogged

I am designing my sump/refuge and need to know a height for water depth of a in sump protein skimmer. Any recommendations? DT is 125g and looking to spend around $300.00. Sump is in the cabinet of the DT so I need a protein skimmer that isn't super tall.

mr_x

they vary. i made the sump with the footprint of the skimmer, and the amount of space i needed incase of a power outtage in mind, and then chose a skimmer. i built an eggcrate stand to lift it a bit.
pick a skimmer and find out the manufacturers' specs for the proper depth

waterlogged

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2674418
they vary. i made the sump with the footprint of the skimmer, and the amount of space i needed incase of a power outtage in mind, and then chose a skimmer. i built an eggcrate stand to lift it a bit.
pick a skimmer and find out the manufacturers' specs for the proper depth

Is ASM a good skimmer?

joncat24

Msx 160 would be awesome for a 125. Small footprint, low wattage, and about 5 times the air draw of an ASM of the same size. The ASM's are also made of plastic, instead of acrylic.
And you can actually get the MSX cheaper right now. They are due in in about 10 days from marine solutions for $269

aquaguy24

aqua c ev 120= $289-$300 plus pump...or aqua ev 180 which is about $320 i think..the aqua c ev 120 is only 18" tall..and the footprint is pretty small also i think it was 9"x5"..but u have to factor in the gate valve and room for the pump..water level for the ev 120 is 9" or lower..but u can always raise the skimmer up..u can install in sump or externally...i did mines externally..

R

rcreations

I bought an AquaC EV 240 for my 150gal and it's working really good and it's fairly quiet. I know it's oversized for my tank, but with skimming, more is better.

mr_x

the only problem with having an external skimmer is in the event it overflows. what happens if some strange thing happens in the tank and the skimmer starts overflowing? it will drain your tank all over the place.
in sump is best.

R

rcreations

I agree. I'd be terrified to install a skimmer outside of the sump. Mine overflowed once during the break-in period and luckily it just went back in the sump. Otherwise I would have had a disaster on my hands.

mr_x

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2674887
and about 5 times the air draw of an ASM of the same size.
this is in the description-
***Air results can vary depending on individuals aquarium setup***.
what exactly does that mean? how does it vary? every other skimmer on the market pulls a certain amount of air, no more, no less.

joncat24

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2675156
this is in the description-
***Air results can vary depending on individuals aquarium setup***.
what exactly does that mean? how does it vary? every other skimmer on the market pulls a certain amount of air, no more, no less.

EVERY skimmer that sits in sump pulls a different amount of air at different water depths.
As far as being made of plastic, this affects the overall longevity of the skimmer body itself.
I am not stating opinions of the skimmers, merely facts. The Msx skimmer pulls 45scfh of air at 23 watts of electrical usage. The asm g3 with a sedra 5000 pulls 12scfh at 54 watts. The MSX 160 has over a 4" neck alone which allows for the mass amounts of air.
We all know that a skimmer's effectiveness relies on air draw, dwell time, and turbulence. With the difference in air draw and roughly the same body size, there is absolutley no way, that an asm can even be compared to a MSX.
Let alone, the price of the MSX 160 is right around $50 cheaper than a G3

aquaguy24

true external can overflow and cause major damage...but aqua c ev series is plumped so u can add a waste collector with auto shutoff or it can redirected back into the sump if it were to overflow.no modifications nessesary.

mr_x

ASM skimmers have been around for some time. they have the same overall design and pumps as the comparable euro-reef skimmers, except for the acrylic/plastic reaction chamber and collection cup, which doesn't effect it's performance in any way. maybe ASM skimmers will only last 10 years as opposed to euro-reef skimmers lasting 15.
meanwhile, the sedra pumps have also been around for some time and are a trusted brand.
i've never heard of a Sicce pump. what is the track record on these? i don't know where sedra pumps are manufactured, but italy is not known for it's cutting edge, mechanical technology. i'm just recommending a tried and true component.

mr_x

Originally Posted by aquaguy24
http:///forum/post/2675191
true external can overflow and cause major damage...but aqua c ev series is plumped so u can add a waste collector with auto shutoff or it can redirected back into the sump if it were to overflow.no modifications nessesary.

that's a good idea, but you have to purchase a waste collector with auto shutoff. if you were to consider an external skimmer, i'd factor in the cost of these components.

waterlogged

I have looked at the ASM G-2 on different sites and they all claim it to be a different height.
Each one says:
1. 21 1/4
2. 22 1/4
3. 25
Which is right?
Height is an issue for me.

jints

Tha ASM G-2 has a height of 20 1/2 inches from bottom to top of the collection cup. I should know because I own one and I just measured it. It is also the best skimmer I have bought.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by Jints
http:///forum/post/2675243
Tha ASM G-2 has a height of 20 1/2 inches from bottom to top of the collection cup. I should know because I own one and I just measured it. It is also the best skimmer I have bought.
Thanks for measuring it. I think it is what I will go with. Viewing different sites I have seen it for between $250.00 - $300.00.