protein skimmer recommendations

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2675211
i don't know where sedra pumps are manufactured, but italy is not known for it's cutting edge, mechanical technology. i'm just recommending a tried and true component.
Oh, checked out any MV or Aprilia sport bikes lately? Ferrari? Maserati or Lamborghini (until VW took over). Ever heard of OZ wheels? Italy is actually highly regarded for craftsmanship and quality control if not leading technology(which is what we are mostly talking about, there have been no recent revolutions in skimmer design: they are all either air aspirated by a pump or pumped thru a bubble producing nozzle. some work better than others and at this point its probably more willingness to spend time on trial and error than actual technology.
ASMs problem is its pricing (and there have been significant complaints about their build quality not just the cheap PVC plastic they use). your argument is that they work the same as a Euroreef or other clone equivalent (which for the most part is true except Euroreefs needle wheel propeller is modified to perform a bit better than over the shelf sedras). Thats all well and good but I have a problem when I know a good 20x6" acrylic cylinder can cost over $100 alone while PVC cost next to nothing yet ASM is undercut significantly by all the other Deltec and Euroreef clones that use cast acrylic cylinders (Octopus, Aqua Euro, Das ect) and generally regarded as superiorly built and at minimum equally effective at skimming (and thats being nice). a sedra pump is about $50 more than an octopus pump (which are ocean runner clones if not ocean runners not too shabby) but the closest equavalent sized ASM generally cost nearly $100 more even though the skimmer body itself has got to cost ASM significantly less. Go figure. You can basically look into DAS and Octopus recircs for the price range of ASM products. If ASMs undercut the other clones I'd be all over it but there is just no good rational to chose a more costly ASM over the others. not even customer service, most people dont even know ASM stands for all seas marine much less their address and contact numbers. Something on an OCtopus breaks coralvue is right on top of it and can be dealt with directly if need be). I just feel ASM really padded their pockets when they were the ONLY high end alternative but have kind of been exposed now with the other brands materials and pricing.

mr_x

i have a euro-reef cs6-2 which has exactly the same needle wheel as my asm skimmer does.
ferrari, maserati and lamborghini aren't built better than toyotas or hondas, they just demand a higher price. they break much more often actually. i've owned a maserati, and it was quite a piece of iron, compared to a plain old camry, with 3 x the miles on it. better technology? what is the application? gas mileage? passenger comfort? or is it just horsepower?
i'm talking about a dependable product at a reasonable price. that's all.

joncat24

The sicce pumps have been in use for years and a very reliable.
The msx is cheaper, built better, and pulls more skim.......what is the debate about. There is no comparison between msx and asm. Also, if the op doesnt want an msx, there are many other options to choose from that are better than asm.(octo, das,The main two that come to mind.) Either one of those is better technology and better build quality than asm.

joncat24

I could personally not care what skimmer someone buys. I just want them to be informed as to the new technology available. Just because someone has an asm skimmer that has worked for years doesnt cut it for me. My parents had a 15 year old car that worked fine, but I wanted one that was newer, faster and more efficient. Which is basically the same thing as msx VS asm

mr_x

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2675343
The sicce pumps have been in use for years and a very reliable.
The msx is cheaper, built better, and pulls more skim.......what is the debate about. There is no comparison between msx and asm. Also, if the op doesnt want an msx, there are many other options to choose from that are better than asm.(octo, das,The main two that come to mind.) Either one of those is better technology and better build quality than asm.
in use for years by who?
what are you basing your opinion on, hearsay or personal experience?

joncat24

http:///forum/post/2675346
in use for years by who?
what are you basing your opinion on, hearsay or personal experience?
In use by ati for one.
Yes I am basing my opinion on personal experience. I have personally owned the following
Coralife ss220( junk)
Mrc-mr2(good, but loud and alot of power usage and heat)
Etss reef devil(same as mr2 but also very finicky and would lose foam head for a long time with feedings and hands in tank)
Octopus nw 150( great skimmer after modding, just wasnt enough for my needs)
Msx 160( best thing since sliced bread)
I also work on alot of local tanks and have seen and set up many different skimmers including asm's. The asm would fall somewhere between the coralife and sea clone in my opinion. I would never recommend any one to buy them.

ynotme4886

I wanted an MSX 160 when I was setting up my 92 gal corner tank.
Heard a lot of good and bad things about them.
The good was they pull a lot of gunk out of your water.
The bad... Mesh mod on the impeller needs to be fixed...they did a horrible job with it and almost everyone who has posted about buying one has had this problem.
And the biggest complaint they have been back ordered for ages.
Plus they only have one distributor who sells them. So if you order one you end up on the bottom of the list and have no clue on when you are going to get your skimmer or how many people are ahead of you in line. You could wait six months to get this thing and dont bother trying to call them to get any info about how many they are getting or how many people are in line in front of you cause no one answers the phone or calls you back.
I got frustrated after a week and a half with no answers from the distributor and said forget it and went with another brand.
I guess customer service is not their specialty.... hate to see if you bought something and it broke under warranty
Just my 2cents
Ynot

mr_x

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2675357
The asm would fall somewhere between the coralife and sea clone in my opinion. I would never recommend any one to buy them.
hmm. i wouldn't say something like that just because someone was disagreeing with me. i don't think your advice is sincere or accurate.
the only thing you've said about asm's design is the plastic construction. that alone shouldn't make you not recommend one.

joncat24

http:///forum/post/2675390
hmm. i wouldn't say something like that just because someone was disagreeing with me. i don't think your advice is sincere or accurate.
the only thing you've said about asm's design is the plastic construction. that alone shouldn't make you not recommend one.
I believe my advice is very sincere and accurate.
I also said that the pumps dont pull very much air and use alot of wattage.
I am also, not just saying that because you disagree with me, I could care less. I am merely stating the facts for the buyers that are out there wanting a good skimmer recommendation, and I sincerely believe that ASM skimmers are WAY overpriced and not very effective.
Whenever I see someone wanting an insump skimmer I will recommend the MSX line. They cant be touched for the money. I also read the thread about the mesh mods, they were done quickly at first and not very good. The next batch of skimmers will also include a pinwheel for users that dont want to mesh them.
Marine solutions is run out of the owners house. He has a greenhouse for coral propagation out back, which is where the skimmers are. He has a shipment coming in a few days, so if anyone orders now, they will ship when it gets in. Best time to call Joe is on Sat.s from noon to 5, or wed-fri between 6-9 p.m.(est)

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/2675296
i have a euro-reef cs6-2 which has exactly the same needle wheel as my asm skimmer does.
ferrari, maserati and lamborghini aren't built better than toyotas or hondas, they just demand a higher price. they break much more often actually. i've owned a maserati, and it was quite a piece of iron, compared to a plain old camry, with 3 x the miles on it. better technology? what is the application? gas mileage? passenger comfort? or is it just horsepower?
i'm talking about a dependable product at a reasonable price. that's all.
I said italy is known for craftsmanship and quality control IF NOT
technology (infering maybe not the most technically advanced but crafty at what they do). We arent talking about reliability, if thats the case we'd all look no further than late model hyundias. Million dollar F1 cars break down more than a camry, The criteria for a ferrari is not to last 100k trouble free miles, just like a toyota isn't meant to handle track days without changing a thousand parts to make it competent. Would you rather kick back in a maserati ******** or a camry with leather? By quality control I mean the important parts of a ferrari are put together by hand as opposed to producing 10,000 a day with nobody checking when a machine is occasionally off a tolerance. A drag car is not reliable but it gets a better once over than a camry assembly line.
Case an point a ferrari uses $6000 carbon fiber front disc and pads. your friend has a porsche with $2500 Brembo's. Wouldn't your friend be a little pissed if porche only sold his replacement for $7000 while the Ferrari with superior parts cost $6000. Who gives a damn that the Porsche stopping distances are just as good as the Ferrari, getting ripped one is getting ripped one. ASM is build with inferior materials therefore it should not cost more. they didn't do ANY R&D, its just a clone so whats the additional money for?
as far as the needle wheel. Euroreef has modified their needle wheel design several times. it is not the same as over the counter sedra propeller unless perhaps you have an older model. hell they even trade marked it "Euro-WheelTM" and every pump from euroreef is sold as "euro reef modified sedra"

hurt

To compare an ASM to an MSX is just silly IMO. ASM is not even close to being in the same ballpark as an MSX. An MSX 160 would eat a G4 for lunch and have a G5 for dinner. Joncat knows what he is talking about, and as he has stated MSX pull alot of air(which is the main factor in a quality skimmer), and a stock Sedra doesn't pull close to what a stock Sicce pump does. 45 standard cubic feet of air per hour vs 12 SCFH isn't even fair. The fact that ASM are priced more than MSX is just ridiculous IMO. There are many better skimmers than an ASM for the price(MSX, DAS, Octopus, to name a few). I'm amazed ASM is still in business. A Marine Solutions eXtreme is 4X the skimmer as a comparable sized All Seas Marine...

mr_x

i have a "euro reef modified sedra" and it's the same as my ASM. strange.
as for one skimmer eating another for lunch or brunch or having it over for tea and krimpets, that's way over my head. what i do know is that ASM skimmer are clones to euro-reef skimmers which are considered high quality skimmers. the only difference between the two( i own both) is the plastic/acrylic.
we are talking about a decent skimmer for a small amount of money- not eating lunch with a ferrari driver or tea and krimpets with a sicce pump owner. i think you guys should get your emotions out of the way of reason and call a spade a spade.

hurt

http:///forum/post/2675390
This is the comment you wrote which made me feel I had to chime in. Johncat gave several reasons for advising to use an MSX over an ASM. He knows a lot about skimmers. His advice was sincere and more importantly accurate, unlike yours. The fact that you actually think an ASM is a "high quality" skimmer is quite funny.
Comparing a skimmer that pulls only 12 scfh to one that pulls 45 scfh, not to mention the fact that it is made out of plastic, vs extruded acrylic, to me is quite comical. An MSX has a bubble plate, an ASM does not. The Sicce pump draws half the wattage a Sedra does.The fact that MSX are cheaper than ASM makes the decision a no brainer. To advise otherwise is not sincere or accurate, but delusional. Most anyone who actually knows anything about skimmers would agree. Post a pic of your ASM with the skimmate if you seem so confident in them.
Here is a picture of what my Octopus NW-200 pulls. I paid $179 for this skimmer when it was on sale. It is made of extruded acrlyic, not plastic like a G3. It has an 8 inch diameter and is 24 inches tall while the G3 only has a 6.5 diameter and is 24 inches tall. I modified the pump with 3 layers of enkamat, a larger airline/venturi(1/4inch) bored out the volute, bored out the elbow, and it now pulls around 30 scfh. So it pulls about 3X the air your ASM does, has a larger reaction chamber, is actually made out of extruded acrylic, and it costs about $100 less. There is no comparison. But, an MSX 160 would eat my NW-200 for lunch, and I would never try to say otherwise. Here is picture of what my $179 skimmer on my 55g with just 2 percs and a lot of sps pulls. I'd love to see a picture of what your ASM pulls...

joncat24

http:///forum/post/2678171
we are talking about a decent skimmer for a small amount of money- not eating lunch with a ferrari driver or tea and krimpets with a sicce pump owner. i think you guys should get your emotions out of the way of reason and call a spade a spade.
That is exactly what I am doing....calling a spade a spade and not recommending an over priced piece of plastic, when someone can get an Msx for less money.
WHAT IS THE DILEMMA HERE??

joncat24

Originally Posted by Hurt
http:///forum/post/2678383
This is the comment you wrote which made me feel I had to chime in. Johncat gave several reasons for advising to use an MSX over an ASM. He knows a lot about skimmers. His advice was sincere and more importantly accurate, unlike yours. The fact that you actually think an ASM is a "high quality" skimmer is quite funny.
Comparing a skimmer that pulls only 12 scfh to one that pulls 45 scfh, not to mention the fact that it is made out of plastic, vs extruded acrylic, to me is quite comical. An MSX has a bubble plate, an ASM does not. The Sicce pump draws half the wattage a Sedra does.The fact that MSX are cheaper than ASM makes the decision a no brainer. To advise otherwise is not sincere or accurate, but delusional. Most anyone who actually knows anything about skimmers would agree. Post a pic of your ASM with the skimmate if you seem so confident in them.
Here is a picture of what my Octopus NW-200 pulls. I paid $179 for this skimmer when it was on sale. It is made of extruded acrlyic, not plastic like a G3. It has an 8 inch diameter and is 24 inches tall while the G3 only has a 6.5 diameter and is 24 inches tall. I modified the pump with 3 layers of enkamat, a larger airline/venturi(1/4inch) bored out the volute, bored out the elbow, and it now pulls around 30 scfh. So it pulls about 3X the air your ASM does, has a larger reaction chamber, is actually made out of extruded acrylic, and it costs about $100 less. There is no comparison. But, an MSX 160 would eat my NW-200 for lunch, and I would never try to say otherwise. Here is picture of what my $179 skimmer on my 55g with just 2 percs and a lot of sps pulls. I'd love to see a picture of what your ASM pulls...
that some nice nog , hurt
Gotta love the octo's

mr_x

this is after i tossed a cheeze steak in the display. look! it actually works!
the advice that is not sincere is that asm skimmers are junk. they are clones to euro-reef, except for the plastic/acrylic difference. can we agree on that atleast? can we agree that euro-reef skimmers are a good product, or are these skimmers you speak of better than those as well?

stanlalee

I'll say it again I have no problem with the performance of ASM. Its simply being charged premium prices without using premium materials. they dont have the patent on overpricing skimmers but there are cheaper options that work just as well. If you can get an ASM used or at a better deal then there is no reason not to use it.

th3third

Originally Posted by ynotme4886
http:///forum/post/2675362
I wanted an MSX 160 when I was setting up my 92 gal corner tank.
Heard a lot of good and bad things about them.
The good was they pull a lot of gunk out of your water.
The bad... Mesh mod on the impeller needs to be fixed...they did a horrible job with it and almost everyone who has posted about buying one has had this problem.
And the biggest complaint they have been back ordered for ages.
Plus they only have one distributor who sells them. So if you order one you end up on the bottom of the list and have no clue on when you are going to get your skimmer or how many people are ahead of you in line. You could wait six months to get this thing and dont bother trying to call them to get any info about how many they are getting or how many people are in line in front of you cause no one answers the phone or calls you back.
I got frustrated after a week and a half with no answers from the distributor and said forget it and went with another brand.
I guess customer service is not their specialty.... hate to see if you bought something and it broke under warranty
Just my 2cents
Ynot
Look at what this poster says about the MSX skimmer. Im not saying anything about comparing them but in doing my research I never came across anything negative at all about the ASM skimmer. All I know is that it works and I am happy. MRX you should really think about going into standup. You made me spit out my coffee a few times. I also think there is way to emotion in the way of this thread. "my skimmer will eat that one for lunch" and "best skimmer since sliced bread" are comments that cant be taken seriously. Sincere and honest? I think not. Let your opinion be known and let it be. Comparing skimmers until your eyes turn red are only confusing the posters intent of making a decision of choosing a skimmer. MRX has a few skimmers and is trying to stay neutral. I think thats the way to go. Stay neutral. Again My choice is the ASM because I own it and it works wonderfully and there are no horror stories that I have read about.

joncat24

Originally Posted by Th3ThirD
http:///forum/post/2678850
Look at what this poster says about the MSX skimmer. Im not saying anything about comparing them but in doing my research I never came across anything negative at all about the ASM skimmer. All I know is that it works and I am happy. MRX you should really think about going into standup. You made me spit out my coffee a few times. I also think there is way to emotion in the way of this thread. "my skimmer will eat that one for lunch" and "best skimmer since sliced bread" are comments that cant be taken seriously. Sincere and honest? I think not. Let your opinion be known and let it be. Comparing skimmers until your eyes turn red are only confusing the posters intent of making a decision of choosing a skimmer. MRX has a few skimmers and is trying to stay neutral. I think thats the way to go. Stay neutral. Again My choice is the ASM because I own it and it works wonderfully and there are no horror stories that I have read about.

If you are happy with your ASM, then I am happy for you. I am merely trying to help future hobbiest's get the best they can for there money, and I truly believe the MSX is the way to go. For the comparison of a G3 for instance to a MSX 160......like said before.....SILLY!
The numbers speak for themselves with price being the first one. MSX 160 is $269 and ASMg3 is $309. With three times the air pull, better build , and lower power consumption what is it that is even remotely considerable.

K

kpatrick

Since we are debating ASM skimmers, how would everyone rate the Octopus 150/200 (venturi) or (needlewheel) compared to the ASM G2? I see that the Octopus is about $100 less then the ASM G2.
Not trying th hijack the thread but I am also looking into the ASM G2 and want to make sure I have all the facts before purchasing.