protein skimmer recommendations

joncat24

I am not "pushing a sale"....I just recommend them , because alot of olks ask about skimmers. I feel that they are the best on the market for the money. I just happen to live close to Marine Solutions and go there alot.
They also have a large supply of the skimmers in stock right now, so waiting on them is not an issue.
I have also heard a rumor about a code for free shipping

mr_x

again, i've owned a maserati. the one with a single "t". it was a "hoopty". italians can't build production cars to save their butts. you are speaking of one guy in a whole country. you are not speaking for italy as a whole. and as i stated earlier- they(ferrari) aren't as dependable as many other cars.
you mentioned nissan. for your information, nissan is not a car to compare it to either. i'm only speaking from 20 years in the used car business. what backround do you have in the automotive industry to tell us of quality?

al mc

I have not had the need to try many of the brands of skimmers that have been mentioned here so I can not say that one is better than another. I will say that I have been very pleased with the reliability of the ASM skimmers I have used on multiple reef tank and FOWLR set up that I have. I have heavily stocked tanks with good quality water.
I have also used MRCs.
I would not hesitate to suggest ASMs for in sump and MRCs for out of sump skimming.

siline

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2708857
again, i've owned a maserati. the one with a single "t". it was a "hoopty". italians can't build production cars to save their butts. you are speaking of one guy in a whole country. you are not speaking for italy as a whole. and as i stated earlier- they(ferrari) aren't as dependable as many other cars.
you mentioned nissan. for your information, nissan is not a car to compare it to either. i'm only speaking from 20 years in the used car business. what backround do you have in the automotive industry to tell us of quality?

Sorry my friend but here (in the car theme), I can debate with you, or anybody else anything. Maybe, in the tank/aquarium theme, I may no know that much...
but what I know, I may help others that need help.
Anyhow in car industry I have been involved for 25+ years. Althrough, Im NOT an engineer (Im an MD) I can compare my knowledge with some of them (I can get very technical if needed). I have been an erudite in the car theme all my life. With more than a decade in racing, modifing & setting cars alone. All that as a hobie, but for me a very serious one. Everyone that knows me, will tell you that I am a walking encyclopedia (at least in the car & med themes).
BTW, for your information the HIGHEST ranked, STRONGEST & FASTEST japan made car built today is the Nissan GTR (code R35). To say more the GTR is in the top 5 fastest performer car of ALL PRODUCTION CARS BUILT IN THE WORLD. The only production cars that can be compared to it (at least of today) in performance are; Bugatti Veyron <BTW, NOT a "real" production car>... (beat the GTR in HP, but the GTR defeated it in other things). Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari Enzo & Konigsegg CCX.
Talking about Maserati's... (nothing personal, just facts), they were nothing 10, 20 maybe even 30 years back. (Altrough they were fine at mid-past century). In fact they were about to close operations if it wasnt of Ferrari that bought it a couple of years back. In fact Ferrari bought Maserati & FIAT almost at the same time. You know why? They have all of an empire in the high-end high performance car world. But they just wanted to diversify their industry by having an "economic" car ( FIAT) & an "affordable" performance-daily driver car (Maseratti). In other words FIAT, to compete (in sales terms) with VW, SEAT, Citroen, Peugeot, Skoda & ALL the Japan Co's like Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mitsu's & Nissans. Maserati on the other hand were bought to compete with a li'll upscale cars like Audi, MB, BMW & even Porsche. Thats why they change COMPLETELY the looks of the Maserati, to give you a hint Ferrari is on its soul.
Anyway, I can give a class of car info...
Just NOT the place... but anyway if you (or anybody else) has ANY question doubt or just a curiosity about anything in the CAR or MEDICINE theme, let me know... I'll be happy to help... in fact that's what I like the most!

mr_x

you still didn't prove anything except they make a fast car. i was in the car business for 20+ years. i've seen them all with 200 miles on them, and 200,000. nissan can't compete with the dependability of a toyota, and fiat always was a rolling piece of scrap iron. i'm not holding my breath for a great change either.
you want to simply focus on performance, but the fact is, i'd trust a camry(timex watch) over a ferrari(crappy, can't keep time, rolex) any day.
who cares how fas they go? i want them to not break.

siline

http:///forum/post/2710373
you still didn't prove anything except they make a fast car. i was in the car business for 20+ years. i've seen them all with 200 miles on them, and 200,000. nissan can't compete with the dependability of a toyota
, and fiat always was
a rolling piece of scrap iron. i'm not holding my breath for a great change either.
you want to simply focus on performance, but the fact is, i'd trust a camry(timex watch) over a ferrari(crappy, can't keep time, rolex) any day.
Sorry, but I've had cars from both manufacturers (4Runner & IS300 from Toyota) & (Silvia, Skyline & Murano from Nissan) just to mention just the ones from the forementioned companies. My experience was that BOTH cars from Toyota failed. The 4Runner mixed oil & water twice & both times new engine and the IS300 the tranny failed at just UNDER 20k miles.
Thanks God that all the repairs were covered by warranty. Anyway, my Silvia (not for regular sale in US), my Skyline (neither available for sale in US) & my Murano had NO complaints, no problems, (in the case of the Murano) no aditional cost besides the normal consumption (gas, oil change & mantainance). BTW, the Silvia & the Skyline are both modified, thats why both of them are not included in the additional cost statement.
If I was to compare the 4Runner vs the Murano (in your terms) is like comparing a Skilter protein Skimmer vs a Reeflo ORCA. The Murano is miles away from the 4Runner. The ride, ergonomics, details, craftmanship, accesories, MPG... to much to list. The Murano is MUCH better... and I have BOTH, so I can compare.
Average MPG - 4Runner 13-14MPG; Murano 17-18MPG... you do the math...

Talking about watches, Timex is a disposable watch... is like a one time use. In other hand, a Rolex is THE premier watch company actually. Here, I can compare too. I have a Cartier, Tag(s), Omega & Rolex among others; and a Rolex is a Rolex. BTW, Im not a big fan of them, since I like more the Breitling... but a Rolex is a Rolex. Even the simplest example of Rolex is like a piece of art. BTW, my favorite Rolex is the Yatch master 2.
Anyway... those that say that prefer a Timex from a Rolex... the ONLY resonable excuse is that simply they cannt afford a Rolex.

siline

http:///forum/post/2710373
you still didn't prove anything except they make a fast car. i was in the car business for 20+ years. i've seen them all with 200 miles on them, and 200,000. nissan can't compete with the dependability of a toyota, and fiat always was a rolling piece of scrap iron
. i'm not holding my breath for a great change either.
FIAT is one of the FIRST car manufacturers of the world, dating back to 1898.
Maybe you can call an 80's or even 90's FIAT a "scrap iron", but anyway they are ENTRY label economic cars. Maybe they are not as fancy as the counterparts but, have you seen a LATE model FIAT??? a "Bravo", or a "Linea". Both are thouthands less than a Camry. BTW, the Linea is 2008 best car in its class. Maybe you didnt know, 'cause you wont be able to have one, since they are NOT available in US. BUT in the rest of the world that can chose between ANY car, it is. AND yes, it beated the Toyota.