Quarantine practice.

I think they are a really good thing to have.JMO.Becuase if you just keep adding un qt'ed fish to your dt.You are playing with fire.And once you introduce a sick fish to your dt,it is a nightmare to handle if you do not have qt.

gmann1139

Almost lost entire tank due to new arrival (bought from private enthusiast) bringing ich with it.
Also had a fish die within first two days of acclimation (don't use those LFS anymore).
QT fish (and inverts) since then.

oceansidefish

Honsetly I don't. I am very choosy about placing healthy specimins in my tank, I also don't keep anything prone to disease such as tangs. Although I would probably QT a tang if I was going to go that route.

anjiro

I dont qt new fish for the same reason as oceanside. I havent really had any problems. I will admit I bought a clown the other day who had Ick. I did a water change in my display and put the water in a 10 gal. that was a week ago, the clown died last night. I will probly keep it up and running but I'm not sure. I'll sure do a water change but we will see if it stays up for more than a week or two.

oceansidefish

Originally Posted by Anjiro
http:///forum/post/2922823
I dont qt new fish for the same reason as oceanside. I havent really had any problems. I will admit I bought a clown the other day who had Ick. I did a water change in my display and put the water in a 10 gal. that was a week ago, the clown died last night. I will probly keep it up and running but I'm not sure. I'll sure do a water change but we will see if it stays up for more than a week or two.
If that 10g was not cycled with LR and LS thats prob why it died....

aquaknight

I QT all new fish I buy online or from the LFS's. I did add my Sargassum Trigger straight to the DT, but he came from a local reefer's 7-footer with 5 tangs, all of which were long established and in great shape, so I had no qualms. There are plenty of reasons besides disease to QT fish, esp. more 'expert' fish where getting them to eat is important, as otherwise in a packed display, they wouldn't stand a chance.

R

rcreations

Poll is too limited so I couldn't vote.
But I QT some
fish, not all. Well, I don't anymore because my tank is fully stocked. But it all depends on the individual fish. Like if I was to buy a male Crosshatch, I wouldn't QT, he'd go straight in the DT. Also depends where I buy the fish.

morval

i never used a qt but if i had an extra tank i would i lost half my stock once to ich. i now have the equipment to set up a qt if i was to get another fish but my tank is stocked.

crimzy

I kind of find it funny that people don't believe that a fish can carry the ick parasite into the display, even if QT'd. Can someone please explain to me how a QT, if not hypoed at the same time, kills the ick parasite?

small triggers

I quarantine fish that my LFS just got in within a week prior or anything i get from a different source. My lfs does copper all of their fish tanks so when i buy anything that has been there longer than a week i do not QT it unless it is an 'ich prone' fish.

R

rcreations

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2922984
I kind of find it funny that people don't believe that a fish can carry the ick parasite into the display, even if QT'd. Can someone please explain to me how a QT, if not hypoed at the same time, kills the ick parasite?

The idea is that you QT a fish for 3-4 weeks to see if it has ich or other diseases. If ich doesn't show up in 4 weeks, that means the fish doesn't have it. If it shows up during that time, you start treating with copper or hypo. But I find it easier to treat from the beginning instead of wasting 3 weeks to find out the fish has ich.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2922984

See above. Ich is one of the last things to worry about....

crimzy

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2922997
The idea is that you QT a fish for 3-4 weeks to see if it has ich or other diseases. If ich doesn't show up in 4 weeks, that means the fish doesn't have it. If it shows up during that time, you start treating with copper or hypo. But I find it easier to treat from the beginning instead of wasting 3 weeks to find out the fish has ich.
I understand that this is the fallacy the people tend to believe. But why do people think this? Have experiences hobbiests suggested to the newbs that a fish cannot carry the parasite for 3 weeks without it showing visible signs? I always laugh when I see people write that they cannot get ick in their tank because it was never introduced... because they QT.
If you don't hypo or treat the QT with copper then a QT'd fish can introduce ick into the display just as a non-QT'd fish could. Why do people continue to regurgitate bad information?

R

rcreations

Well, due to the ich cycle, if the fish carries ich, you will be able to see it in the 3-4 week period.

crimzy

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2923019
Well, due to the ich cycle, if the fish carries ich, you will be able to see it in the 3-4 week period.
I've seen plenty of fish be carriers of ick for longer than 3-4 weeks before displaying the symptoms. Can you elaborate and, possibly provide a source for this information?