Quick, ID this hitchhiker. His life is in your hands!

nina&noah

I found this little guy (or girl) in a piece of birdsnest coral that I bought today. What is it? What should I do with it? Put it in my tank, flush it down the toilet, or save it and take it back to the LFS tomorrow. He is kind of pretty, so I'd like to keep it.

nina&noah

Ok, I looked him up and I agree that he looks like a pistol shrimp. I can't find much info about them except that they should be paired with a goby and they are alot like a mantis shrimp. SWF says they are harmless. Does anyone know anything about them? He is spending the night in the sump in a tupperware container with holes poked in it.
If it makes a difference, he is tiny. Less than an inch!

aquaguy24

looks like a Caribbean pistol shrimp..this type of pistiol shrimp pray on other shrimps like cleaner shrimps and small fish..u might want to stay away from this one...tiger pistol shrimps are the one u want and will usually pair up nicely with a shrimp goby...

nina&noah

I don't have any shrimp. My yellow wrasse eats any shrimp I put in there. My smallest fish are my chromis. I'm positive he couldn't do any damage right now. He is really tiny. I don't know how big they get or how destructive they can be.
He is still in the sump. I have to decide whether I am going to keep him or not. If not, than I need to take him back to the LFS today after the baby wakes up from his nap.
Any other opinions?

pezenfuego

I hate to disagree with everybody on here, especially some of you very knowledgeable folks, but this is definitely not a caribbean pistol shrimp. I can say this with 100% certainty as I have one and this doesn't fit the ticket. Check out the claws, can't be a caribbean pistol.
Looks to me to be a caribbean red shrimp. Yes, they're different.

nina&noah

When I tried to put him in the container he is in now, he kept making the famous "popping" sound. What is the difference between the two shrimp? I searched caribbean red shrimp and found nothing.
I only have about an hour before the baby wakes up. I have to make a decision as to whether I am going to keep him. He is small, so I'm thinking he is going to need to eat today. I don't want the poor thing to starve while I am trying to ID him.

nina&noah

I see exactly what you mean. What is weird though is that it's coloration is exactly like the pistol shrimp and it's claws are like the red shrimp. If it was a red shrimp, would that be a good thing or a bad thing? SWF doesn't provide any info, and all I get when I google it is seafood adds! I'm going to try to google the scientific name and see what that turns up.

nina&noah

I didn't take him back to the LFS today. Now I'm thinking about dropping him in my tank. I wish I knew what it was! I have searched and searched and have come up with nothing!

meowzer

You mentioned in an earlier post that you don't have anything that the shrimp would bother...so toss it in

nina&noah

That is what I'm thinking, but if PEZenfuego is right and it is a carribean red shrimp, I have no idea what that is! SWF doesn't provide any info and there is nothing online about it. It is pretty, but I don't know what it is or what it eats!

meowzer

Alpheus sp. "Red Caribbean Pistol Shrimp (if this is it)
SPECIFIC GRAVITY RANGE 1.020-1.026
TANK SIZE 20 gal
TEMPERATURE RANGE 75-82
PH RANGE 8.0-8.4
SCIENTIFIC NAME Alpheus sp.
ORIGIN Caribbean
DIET Carnivore
DIFFICULTY Moderate
COMMON NAME Red Caribbean Pistol Shrimp
REEF SAFE Yes
RESTRICTED Yes
INVERT SAFE Yes, with caution
COMMUNITY SAFE Yes, with caution

boucherh

Just wanted to add my two cents... I have a pistol shrimp and a goby and they are the coolest thing I have ever seen! It is so cool to watch them work together (the shrimp spends ALL day digging elaborate caves and tunnels in the sand. He never strays far from the goby, as the goby offers protection. The shrimp don't have very good eye site, so the goby helps protect them in exchange for a hole to live in. The goby will perch on the outside of the cave, keeping watch. If he senses trouble, he will signal the shrimp by waving his fins.) I could watch them for hours!