return pump placement/

acrylic51

I think you'd loose quite a bit from the pump doing and up and over making it suck water through the hose then up........

puff_puff_

i am in total agreance with you sir... my goal was to keep a minimal amount of debree from gettin back to the tank and to isolate it in an encloser that would be lined in rubber casue the damn thing is loud.. but i think after tearing my fuge apart and coming up with a new baffle design to house filter floss, then a sand and rock and plant area, then i isolated another area for the pump putting intracate baffles to eliminate as much junk as possable from getting to close then took a piece of rubber.. siliconed it to a thin bed of filter floss then put the pump on that... cant even hear it any more... thanks for your response though.. i was going to actually put it in a wooden box and attach a pice of pvc to the hose and drill some holes in it the rap in it floss as sort of a final filter, i know i was going to have to change it quite offten... im shooting for the clearest water possable... ill know in a few days how i made out with tonights project....

puff_puff_

will do and your post about the new tank.... let me say, im beyond impressed... i look forward to more updates... in the next 2 years i belive there will be the permanant house, and i will be doing some sort of a perminate built in aquarium, watching yours come along is making me very impatient... thanks for your help and advice..

acrylic51

Thanks.....Actually the wife and I are talking about selling and having a new house built???? Part of me is wanting to do it, but the other half says H_ll NO!!!!!!!! If we do build I will have the house built with a Big dedicated fishroom with all the works!!!!!!

puff_puff_

now your talking!!! question for ya.. since i started the thread im hijacking! i put the baffles in. no time for a pic so use your imagination. first one is an L second is an L but turn in 180 degrees to make it upside down and about 4 inches away from the first... floss is under the first and the second is from the bottom up and the top of the upside down L keeps it from floating away.. its packed in there good.. ifinished up late in the A.M. last night.. its 1 pm and i just got home and it seems the tank is cloudyer????????? i siliconed all edges but the bottom of the second one.. reason being is i only drained the sump to under the first L I wanted to keep my sand wet and getting the rest out would have been a real pain. i figured the floss would still do its job if i had a little blow by under there and with the floss there it would also block a bit.. i can see particles a few little bubbles taking there route the way they should and the being of the floss is getting dirty.. skimmer isnt catching anything.. and on the other end i took some black charcol fiber sheets and rolled some charcole in them and rubber banded them together. 2 to be exact. i then laid them from the bottom of the sump to the side wall diagnoally covering the inlet of the pump to catch anything else and treat the water with charcole.. Did i miss somthing??? or does it take longer than this to clear up water... i know i stirred a few things up last night but gave it time to settle in the sump...if i look through the front of the tank i cant see the back and forget the sides! tanks 75 with 30 or 40 gallon sump.. i never messured it to find out.. prolly 30 though... pump is mag 7 so that sould turn quite a bit of water.. lines are clear rubber return and coming in is clear rubber to a shut off valve down from there in pvc. to an elbow to a T to another elbow. the middle of the t and second elbow go to 7 inch pieces of pvc with about 6 holes drilled in each side then another elbow pointing down on each one... a mild aeration device to disolve oxyben my baffles and floss eliminate all micro bubbles and keeps everything smellin nice too i add!!!! i am about 3 months new in this game and thought i had a good idea here... but obviously i am not the most experience fella and i enjoy experimenting infact my wife may kill me if i dont stop spending day and night with it! any way if you have an ideas they would be appreciated.... thanks again for your help

puff_puff_

i found the time to snapp a few.... so analyze and tell me what the hell i did wrong... thanks again for your time..
Jayson

heres what it used to look like

acrylic51

First if things really weren't broken why try to reinvent the wheel so to speak!!!!!!!
I don't see anything actually wrong with the last pic of your tank you posted other than what a little carbon probably couldn't have cleared up.......
I followed you through the installation of the elbows and such, and can see the filter floss, and then into the next section......Personally If you want to filter out particulates out of water I would use a micron sock. The filter floss if it's dirty should be changed out and if it's as dirty as what your suggesting during it's initial use you might have to change it very often.....Kinda like the old wet/dry filters with the micron pad on top.....Great when your just firing your system with all the sand muck and and if kept very clean they will clear the tank very fast and efficiently, but the key is keeping the filter material clean or the water will just simply bypass the material finding it's least resistive path around the material.........
I would agree you probably did stir things up a big with the mod last night....I would change out the filter floss, and see if it starts to clear.......Do you have any white felt pads handy?????

windmill

Your power-strip next to your sump terrifies me.......
By the way....what kinds pump you got in there? Where'd you get it and how much if you don't mind my curiosity.

puff_puff_

just to address windmill real fast.. as stated the pump is a mag 7. and as far as cleaning the glass. NO KIDDIN.. :) and for your comment about my power strip... i dont have one... a power strip is a strip of manyoutlets you by at walmart.. what i have are actual gang boxes illuminated switches all protected by GFCI and all cords are kept with a drip loop.. in case you dotn know what it is, its important to know and use... its when you leave enough slack in your cord that they can be at least 3 inches below your outlets so if water follows the cord it will collect on the bottom and rip off and not run in to the socket... my electirical work is sealed and by far extreemely safe.. now for my advisor acrylic.....
that last picture i see nothign wrong with that either... i may have been a little misleading in my commentary. my tank fogged up all on its own.. my baffle and floss idea was to fix it.. but now its worse and i think thats from me stiring it up.. i cleaned the floss twice and replace once in less than a day... it is getting dirty quick which makes me think its doing its job.. i dont have any felt pads but i do have shets of poly fill. my wife refinishes furniture.. its brand new in the package. its not for aquarium use persay but if i gave it a good rinshing could i use it???? i was to afraid to try.. and i was thinking of doing a water change... i just did one last week... I also have a terrable redslime out break to go with this disaster... where oh where did i go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for your help....

puff_puff_

quick follow up.. windmill i got it at a local store and it was 64.99
and for the record i am not profreading these and i can see my grammer and spelling is way off.. im not as dumb as i am making myself out to be.. trying to juggle fish, work, the wife, the forum, the dog, and the phone... so im just ranting here and there! thanks again guys for all your help!!!!!!!!!!

puff_puff_

acrylic..what do you think of Asexual calurpa. if you notice from the good picture to the bad picture the calurpa is missing..i didnt remove it. its all i can think of..any ideas on how to fix the problem? i added biozyme on the advice of my local fish store.

tanker555

Personally, I think this guy is a tool. And like before, he claims to know me because I called him on some statements, but, I think he's looking for "attention". Like a damsel, I say..."Flush him".

acrylic51

Originally Posted by puff_puff_
acrylic..what do you think of Asexual calurpa. if you notice from the good picture to the bad picture the calurpa is missing..i didnt remove it. its all i can think of..any ideas on how to fix the problem? i added biozyme on the advice of my local fish store.
I'm not an expert on calurpa, Squidd would be better at advising on that issue.......
Nice electrical work under the stand there....Has the clarity of the tank improved any. Dang just noticed you even have them labeled for quick reference!!!!!!!

Tanker555 who are you referring too?

puff_puff_

tanker555 is in fact my older brother who is at the time of the post on the phone with me and drunk... he thinks its funny when i post somthing to say somthing childish and stupid... and in fact you read me right he is the OLDER one.... but none the less he is still my brother.. and if he doesnot stop the childishness especially when i do have a serious thread going i am going to post his name address phone number and all other information, right here along with every other forum i can find!! got that Davey! any way acrylic my tank is still very very cloudy... tomarow evening i plan for another water change... prolly about 15 or 20 gallons.. just checked my levels.. all are great but trates are up a hair.. nothing unusual or detrimental... im at lose here... thanks for your help to date..

puff_puff_

a little... and my tank is as bad if not worse this morning... its murky milky disgusting mess... all inhabitants seem fine... i am at a loss here........
this is very very unsettling
not a time to be joking i guess.. do you think a big 50% water change is in order?