RODI Brute maintenance??

aquiman

Hi all. I've got an RODI setup where the output splits and feeds into two 32g Brute containers. One is used for top offs so it's just RODI, the other is used to store saltwater for changes and I keep a small power head in this one constantly mixing. I keep a lid on both so they are sealed pretty good, and so far have always had water ready in each. Is there any reason to empty these and or clean them out every once in a while or is ok to keep replenishing what I use and keep them full most of the time? Not sure if I should be concerned about a crud buildup or not. Thanks!

bang guy

For the freshwater, I see no reason to clean it out even if black algae starts growing. There is nothing harmful I can think of on that.
For the stored saltwater, I suggest removing any precipitated Calcium carbonate fairly often. Perhaps monthly, perhaps before mixing new salt. This precipitate can act as seed crystals and precipitate even more from new saltwater. This remove magnesium and other minor trace elements in addition to lowering Calcium and Alkalinity.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393076/rodi-brute-maintenance#post_3494088
For the freshwater, I see no reason to clean it out even if black algae starts growing. There is nothing harmful I can think of on that.
For the stored saltwater, I suggest removing any precipitated Calcium carbonate fairly often. Perhaps monthly, perhaps before mixing new salt. This precipitate can act as seed crystals and precipitate even more from new saltwater. This remove magnesium and other minor trace elements in addition to lowering Calcium and Alkalinity.
Good to know!!!
I switched salts to Salinity and my mixing container gets a major white film. I would scrub with a fish only brush between each use. But a slight film will not come out. I think I may need to soak in vinegar or change containers.

meowzer

HMMM.....I clean my ro/di container periodically when I start to see a film......JUST BECAUSE LOL

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/393076/rodi-brute-maintenance#post_3494095
Good to know!!!
I switched salts to Salinity and my mixing container gets a major white film. I would scrub with a fish only brush between each use. But a slight film will not come out. I think I may need to soak in vinegar or change containers.
Wiping it down with vinegar should quickly remove Calcium carbonate residue.