Rose Anemone - please tell me its ok!

nw2salt08

That does not look good at all. I think you're right about it dying....that looks nothing like what mine does when it poops...I'm no expert though...definitely not a happy camper though.

meowzer

I hate to say it, but I have become an expert on dying anemones and when you see that stringy stuff...you might as well consider it gone....I always hold out for the "maybe" but in all reality at this point it won't happen....I just think that sometimes anemones just don't take a move well, ans sometimes they do...so sorry...

kerriann

yes, it's definitely dead. pulled it to the surface and OH DID IT STINK! anyone have ANY thoughts on what could've caused this?? what are we not testing for?
just did another water change and we're looking like this:
nitrates 20 - probably from the stupid thing purging/dying
ammonia 0 - thank god!!
ph 8.0
nitrites 0
alk 10.4
our freakin clowns were nudging this nem too trying to get into it!
WHAT ARE WE MISSING?!

meowzer

You need to get your trates down to zero...ph up to 8.2 Doubt the trates were caused by the anem dying...mine never went up and I have lost a few...Like I said before...sometimes they just don't take to the acclimation....BUT get trates down...do a water change, lessen your feedings...

kerriann

sorry, i meant to put 8.2 - PH hasn't changed. i just tested again and the strips say the nitrates are 20, the chemical test says the nitrates are around 5.
either way, we tested ALL of our stuff against the LFS (we stole some water from their anem tank) and our water tested better than theirs across the board!! i'm so beyond frustrated right now because we just can't find ANY reason for this thing to die - particularly to die so quickly!!

meowzer

I have had them die in less than 2 days ...no clue why and my trates are 0...and everything else is good too...VERY FRUSTRATING

renogaw

wb kerriann, sry to see this thing died so fast.
how did ou acclimate it?
it could have had it's foot damaged when you got it from wherever you got it from and that could have done it in too.

05xrunner

man that sucks...Wonder if its foot did get damaged cause Ray said he was having a hard time getting it to come off.
On another note they got some REALLY nice GBTA at Wet pets..39.99
I got one tonight..Its one of the smaller ones though

kerriann

we drip acclimated it for 3 hours...i'm really hoping it was just a stressful move for the nem because we are at our wits end as to why this thing could keel over so quick!
i ended up losing my purple firefish and i think my frogspawn is on its way out too :-(
ya, we went to Wet Pets to talk to John to see if he could find ANY reason we lost this thinking maybe we weren't testing right but our water tested out so much better than Wet Pets (their anem tank has phosphates at 1 and nitrates at about 10)
i think we may end up having to get an anem from there because, well, our clowns were loving that rose!!

05xrunner

I am not into the whole drip thing..I personally think it does more harm then good. I have never acclimated corals..I pick them up let them slime in the air for about 5-10sec andin they go..never any issues..Fish i float them for 10min and in they go..and i have always had no problems doing this way....How I acclimated my nem lastnight I put a little bit of water in the bag..maybe a 1/4 cup..let it float for 15min, then another 1/4cup let if float another 15min..then another 1/4cup and 10min and I picked it up out of the bag and gently placed it into teh tank..seems to be fine..It has been wandering around like a roaming nome overnight..but I was expecting that to happen.
Ohh and WetPets uses REDsea test kits and those are known to be awful and always way off..I wouldnt ever use them..I would stick to salifert or something alot better.
Ohhh and I am the one who bought the rock from you :)

kerriann

actually, we stole some of Wet Pets' water and tested ourselves as well because we know they only use the strips to test. however, we were so desperate to get an answer and we figured if they can keep a nem alive only testing with strips how come we can't keep one alive with our chemical tests????
i think we'll wait another couple of weeks and let our water settle out then maybe we'll try another one
- hope the rock is working out well for you!!

05xrunner

rock is AWESOME...might not have been your tank..It could have just been really stressed from the move, the foot could have been damaged, not always your fault when something doesnt make it. I have come to understand that...Especially with Acropora..when they get RTN they are gone and no one understands why it happens so I cant blame myself just bad luck

meowzer

i ended up losing my purple firefish and i think my frogspawn is on its way out too :-(
Maybe you have another problem if you just lost a fish, and your FS is having problems too....were these items new too?

kerriann

No, we lost the fish the same night the anem went - didn't get it out quickly enough i'm thinking because the skimmer was going crazy yesterday morning and the frogspawn hasn't been looking healthy since the anem died. none of the fish were new, i just think the firefish was the most "delicate" of the fish we have in the tank and she was just getting over being "scared" of the other fish in the tank. our clowns are pretty curious and they loved checkin out the firefish but she rather preferred being alone!
i'm terrible with timelining things properly - i'd forget what day it was if i didn't have 3 calendars on my desk!

meowzer

i'm terrible with timelining things properly - i'd forget what day it was if i didn't have 3 calendars on my desk!
LOL, as I sit at my desk (work) and look at the 3 calendars around me...then at home I have 2 on my desk...
I know they say when anem's die they get "NASTY" and emit icky stuff, but I have had that happen, and never had it affect any of my livestock....That's why I asked if you got them all together...You did say you have checked your water and it's fine though....
I would watch things carefully, I (IMO) and I am NO expert...just don't see how your anem could have caused these deaths...You took it out fairly quick, I have actually left one in longer than that (1st one) thinking it could come back
What did I know then...LOL

kerriann

ya, we've been doing regular checks on it and have no intentions of adding anything new for a few weeks to ensure we're stable here but i'm sure the firefish's death was some sort of stress - whether it from just being a lone firefish in a 75g tank or the added factor of the nem. i'm pretty certain the frogspawn will come around tho - it was just a little ticked off and we don't have much else in the way of corals other than some mushrooms and gsp, neither of which are terribly sensitive corals in the firstl place

05xrunner

i would bet the nem dying probably did alot in the cause of the death to the fish..that was a LARGE RBTA..it wasnt small at all. so that is alot more muck to get into the water faster vs a smaller one dying.

saltn00b

wow, tough little story.
i am sure this does not harm it, but i always thought that anem's just need to be temp acclidmated and then dropped in the tank. this goes against conventional invert knowledge but has worked for me and this site's shipping procedures. if the guy "had a hard time getting it off the rock", that strikes me as a sign that he get fed up and started to possibly damage it to get it off.

renogaw

correct, anenomes just shouuld be temp acclimated, then put in a low flow area and let themselves attach.

meowzer

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2952802
correct, anenomes just shouuld be temp acclimated, then put in a low flow area and let themselves attach.
So you don't have to do the water thing in the bag??? Just when it is the same temp put it in?