Sand Trade

regaltang2

Sand Trade
Has anyone ever thought of this...I think it would be a geat way to get diversity into a tank...any ideas...suggestions.....any want to do it?

regaltang2

ok glad to see others interested................give me a whil to get a seperate tank....10gal or a better idea would probally be a big rubber made container....put a couple bags of arag alive sand......put the sand in there that people shipped.....put lights over it, a couple power heads, heater....let it stew for about a month then ship the diverse sand to those that sent theres in......maybe i can also try to get some established sand from the tanks of lfs
maybe something like 1and a half-2 cups get one serving of sand while 3-4 get two servings

big boy69

How this normally works on other boards, i believe is - if one person sends 1 bag, that person gets one bag back and so on.
Does the sand need to be stirred up during the process?
The other place that i know of that does this, i believe he puts it in a 55g tank.
I would be interested if this happens. I think there should be a tread in the forum that does not move so people can track comments easier.
I'm in for 2 bags.

bang guy

I'd suggest skipping the bagged live sand. The donated sand will need to be kept in a wide container with heat and waterflow. Most of the critters will migrate to the top 1/2" so you don't want to make a deep sand bed to store the sand before sending it back out.

jesatfis

id use a 30 breeder or something that is 24 by 18
each person sends 2 lb's of sand from thier tanks be it reef or fish
no sand from a tank that has been medicated at all
each person after 2 months gets back that amount of sand
use sand sifting crabs ect. stir up the sand once a day
use filtraiton and air bublers and 4 very strong powerheads aimed down
also put in scooter blennies ect
i think that would work well. also put in some live rock

scottwol27

what about us people who have smaller tanks lol...:notsure:
im pretty sure i only have about 2lbs of sand....but this sounds soo coolll

ggb150

I'm all for it .
I am willing to send 3lbs for 2 lbs back. If we all send just a little more sand than what we get back you could maybe SELL some to those that don't have any sand to trade.
I think this could make a better Live Sand than you could buy at your LFS.
If you put this together let me know and I will send you a small powerhead and a heater.
:yes:
myggb150@aol.com

icfish

I think this would work good if you make sure that when you send the sand, you make sure and send enough postage for the return trip back to you, say you send by ups regular ground, make sure you get a return label from the shipper with return shipping for the amount of sand you are getting back.
Also, I really believe that whoever is in charge of the sand should be able to reap some rewards, as in having enough sand left over to offer for people needing live sand.
That said, I think that for what ever amount of sand you want back you should have to send in at least a pound more.
Diversify give it a try

icfish

oh and just a thought if I was doing this I'd use something like a small swimming pool or something of that sort.
I could do this!!!

jesatfis

Originally posted by ICfish
oh and just a thought if I was doing this I'd use something like a small swimming pool or something of that sort.
I could do this!!!

i bet we all could but i just thought, what abought the people who dont have scales lol
maybe its best done in a amount of cups like say 40 cups of sand
remember who ever is going to host the sand should have at least a40 breeder or a 90 for this (thoiugh a large bin would work ) also you need all the crabs shrimp that eat parasites and move sand and nobody can use any meds that are not reef safe in the sand that they send
also i think that a glass tank would be perfered as it would be stupid if you could not see what was going on in the tank like alage
swiming pools are not a set amount of watter and would be hard to filter and evaporation would be extreeme
any fish thats reef safe and stuff likle that should be in there
but i think that the person doing this should be given liuke 10 dollars from each person for salt expenses and animal expenses as well as some money for the filters ect
am i right

icfish

I really down think that you need to see what going on as much as keeping the sand bed from being too deep, I just said something like a baby pool because it would give you a large surface area, so that you could keep the sandbed under 3 inches, not have to worry about sulfur pockets building, everything could get oxygenated since there would not be that much water in the pool, probably about 1ft of water. you would of course have to have powerheads for circulation and keep your water quality pristine.
Just a thought
What do Yall think?