seaclone 100

slider101

Originally Posted by TODJ2002
http:///forum/post/2902628
here is a couple pics of mine. and it looks like this daily, i only wish it had a bigger collection cup so i would not have to empty as often. i only have a 55 gallon but i think it is doing its job.

LOL, mine looks like that also with the foam coming out of the top of the hole. Mine hangs on the back of my tank though. I only have to empty 2-3 times a week though.

spunky

i have the 100 also and it is ok i dont know if it it working right or i just have little nutriants in the tank i cleaned it out like 2 weeks ago and it is collecting but in those 2 weeks time i only have like a 1/4 of the cup filled and i usually only see it foam over into the cup after feeding i have it HOB of my 20 gal with 2 fish and lots of coral. So i am not sure if it is working correctly this is my first skimmer. i do notice that the pump seems to make alot of noise is this normal ?

max42

I hate to bring it up but either I am not understanding something or am totally incompetant :)
I have tried the OEM valve and replaced it with another airline valve. When I open it fully there is a constant stream of air/water in the intake. This creates a big cyclone and many airbubbles getting back in the tank. I have tried to close this valve a little at a time looking for this "bubble" in the lower horizontal tube that enters the skimmer (not sure how a bubble gets trapped in the horizontal tube). I cannot seem to get it. I can get intermittent bubbles through the top 180 bend going out of the tank.
I have let the skimmer run for a week on a setting with a thin cyclone and no bubbles in the tank (no bubble in the horizontal tube and no foam in the cup). If I turn up the bubbles in intake I get foam but lots of bubbles in the tank....... please help me figure this out, thanks

max42

OK, maybe my tank has broken itself in more. I attempted adjusting again. I slowly opened the valve and many bubbles started entering my tank. I then got under the tank stand and viewed the intake tube while a friend adjusted the airvalve more. There seemed to be a point were the air entering the chanber met enough resistence and sure enough a sort of bubble formed in the horizontal tube. Then the water in the tank near the collection cup foamed enough such that the bubbles that were escaping into the tank no longer did so (kinda just joined or were trapped in the foam. Now everything seems to work and greenish dirty foam is starting to rise in the tube. So if I had to guess I'd say the difference from before is that my tank has cycled and there are prteins in the water and the foaming is able to start which took care of the bubbles reentering the tank. Hope this makes sense....

sdusky

Ok, I have had my 100 for 6 days and it is not doing anything but moving water. I have been messing around with the valve every day hoping to see some foam in the cup. I have a nice steady flow of bubbles flowing threw the tube into the housing.
Does the break in period last this long? My tank is 1.5 yrs old and doing well. I just want this thing to work!!!!

meowzer

It could last up to 2 weeks from what I have heard...I have a seacone and I think mine lasted a little over a week

slider101

Originally Posted by Sdusky
http:///forum/post/2923498
Ok, I have had my 100 for 6 days and it is not doing anything but moving water. I have been messing around with the valve every day hoping to see some foam in the cup. I have a nice steady flow of bubbles flowing threw the tube into the housing.
Does the break in period last this long? My tank is 1.5 yrs old and doing well. I just want this thing to work!!!!

It probably took mine at least 2 weeks if not 3 or more before I really started to get foam. Just be patient with it and it will start to work for you.

meowzer

LOL...be patient....yes patience in this hobby is BIG...funny thing is that I actually took ,y skimmer apart quite a few time when I first got it cause I had no clue it took 2 weeks to prime

robertmathern

Originally Posted by Keebler
http:///forum/post/2900851
Yes they work...but what do you have to compare it with. Imo, a little more money=a whole better skimmer.
I agree with you. But the tank I gave my brother had a seaclone 150. And honestly it works as well as my aqua c. I think it is hit or miss with them the newer ones work well once they are dialed in right. But dialing it in thake some patience. Also just because it pulls out some gunk dont make it dialed in right. A little adjustment goes a long way with them. Good luck you will get it going they do have to break in to

sdusky

Be patient are you kidding? That word is not in my vocab!!! LOL....
I will. I am not going to touch the setting for a while and just give it some time.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

lauremf2002

Really great thread guys! I also have a seaclone and have been irritated with the bubbles going into my tank. Im going straight home from work to try out your advise. Good luck to you Sdusky!

C

cristiangarcia

well I just bought my 150 today..been putting up a few posts on what/how/and what and how does this thing work
Peopleso far say return it..junk! well after reading these threads I guess Im gonna let her go for a week or two and see how she works. Should I keep futtzzin with the valve cap or what do u recommend? leave it full blast or capit tight?

max42

I think like most of the posts said was that you have to look at that lower tube elbo (not the top one that exits the tank), you adjust the air valve until you see a large bubble form in the bottom elbo, then you have it set. good luck

meowzer

Actually you adjust the flow so there is NO air in that elbow tube..top or bottom...Just turn it slowly, as soon as you see no air in tube STOP.

meowzer

Well good luck with it...Like I said I have had no problems with mine. Just remember that when you ask questions about a Seaclone, they are not a lot of peoples favorites (as you have already seen..lol)

C

cristiangarcia

Hey, I have a post up about my seaclone 150 I got yesterday and by this morning it's been kickin ass!!! At first it wasn't doing anything just swirling bubbles, messed around with it still nothing, then said f-it went to bed! Now this morning same... Nothing happening... So I just started futzin with the twist nozzle and suddenly it started coming up bubbles in the cup!!:) now it's working great and I have a quarter inch of gunk already this is sweet! I hope u get yours to work! Just keep futtzin with the pressure nozzle or whatever that thing is!

nordy

Originally Posted by cristiangarcia
http:///forum/post/2934218
Hey, I have a post up about my seaclone 150 I got yesterday and by this morning it's been kickin ass!!! At first it wasn't doing anything just swirling bubbles, messed around with it still nothing, then said f-it went to bed! Now this morning same... Nothing happening... So I just started futzin with the twist nozzle and suddenly it started coming up bubbles in the cup!!:) now it's working great and I have a quarter inch of gunk already this is sweet! I hope u get yours to work! Just keep futtzin with the pressure nozzle or whatever that thing is!
Looking at your collection cup, I notice that while it is pulling something out, it actually looks pretty dilute. I would suggest dialing the air down a little bit so that you don't have quite as much bubbling going on. What you really want is a "dry" foam spilling over into the collection cup and a dark skimmate collecting in it. This will let you go a longer time before having to empty the cup. Again, getting to this stage may take a little more time for the unit to break in even further.

jackri

I've said it before --- HATED the seaclone I had... why should you have to wait 2-3 weeks to break it in.. and again when you clean it?
Mine was a pain, bubbled out the top and dirtied the wall (HOB vs in the sump now). If you have nothing else to compare them to... welll then you just won't know any better :)
A few bucks more you can get a quality one.... a skimmer is one place in a saltwater tank NOT to skimp on IMO.
Yes, they do "work" --- sort of some of the time