Seahorse declining

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Rykna
Thanks, I'll miss him too.
On the 90 DT I have a Outer Orbit combo MH Actinic and lunar lights. The lights degrade over time causing undesirable algae that prefer lower light spectrums to take over. Currently it's unit I have for the 90. I may decide to change it in the future.
As for pairing off... Does buying pairs of clown fish increase their health?

I just can't think it is necessarily healthier to have a pair of clownfish. Remember, they will be female, if no reproductive issues are present.
I have a lone tomato clown, 7 years old. Never mated, never another clown in the tank. Female and old.
(sorry!)
With seahorses, the difference is that a pair or group of females with NO male present will socialize and not kill each other. They become a herd or a pair in every sense, just no offspring.

rykna

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
With seahorses, the difference is that a pair or group of females with NO male present will socialize and not kill each other. They become a herd or a pair in every sense, just no offspring.
So, are seahorse groups similar to their equestrian "cousins"? Where there is a leading stallion and the rest of the group are mares and their offspring? Any colts are either driven off by their father or take over the herd.
But with seahorses is it the females fighting for the males? If a same gender group was kept, which gender would fair better?

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rykna
So, are seahorse groups similar to their equestrian "cousins"? Where there is a leading stallion and the rest of the group are mares and their offspring? Any colts are either driven off by their father or take over the herd.
But with seahorses is it the females fighting for the males? If a same gender group was kept, which gender would fair better?
Ryk,
I was told numerous times during my research, both on this site, the big horsie site, and by a couple of breeders that I corresponded with, that either gender when kept in groups without the other gender will fare just as well...just no offspring. My original plan actually was to go with all males, but another horsekeeper on this site convinced me that either way would work great if I didn't plan on breeding them (which I'm NOT).
Hope this helps.
Lisa...

rykna

Absolutely Lisa
I had been racking my brains last night regarding the gender issue. Then it dawned on me, it was SO simple. How could I have missed this!!!(Being a parent myself, knowing where gray hair really comes from)I worked at a vet clinic; and a local vet has been a old family friend who took care of our pets and farm animals. What does every
vet across our nation tell you to do?
Spay
or neuter
your pets to prolong their life and increase their quality of life
. I grew up on a farm, breeding animals is done with one main purpose in mind, to increase you stock and make an income from them. Every thing that goes with those activities, as Michelle pointed out, is better left to seahorse breeders who have invested their time and money to produce healthy horses.