Shane's 40g Mixed Reef Tank Diary (HD pics & videos)

zanoshanox

I just forget to remove the tags sometimes, lol.
I'm getting a 150g in a week or so, so hopefully I can get these corals into the new tank and start the process of getting the blenny out.

oneradtek

looks like someone loves to eat SPS, love the confusa, i need something like that in my tank, but i already kind of do ....a palawanensis but id really love a confusa piece
heres the palawanensis

zanoshanox

^Nice shot man. Thanks for sharing. I Need a pala in my tank too! I'm hoping to keep all very wide assortment of SPS in the new tank =]

zanoshanox

finally got the blenny out! Probably going to be too late to save the two smaller montis, they're looking worse each day. But the larger colony seems to be making a comeback.

zanoshanox

So my green acropora (as pictured below) had started to brown out from the base a couple weeks ago. Recently, it started the recede from the bottom as well.

In an attempt to save some of it, I chopped off the tips of the healthier branches and super glued them to some rocks in different ares in the tank.

zanoshanox

Not too sure. Most of the millies/acros I put in my tank decrease their polyp extension slowly but steadily over the first week, and then seem to brown/die from the base inward. This colony did have a couple of its branches stung by a mean GSP colony, so that may have caused the stress. Some of my other SPS have also shown signs of stress this week. It all started around the time I got the blenny. Got him out and did a few gallon water change a few days ago. Just tested tank, here are the parameters...Any ideas?
DKH: 8.5
Cal: 520 (was very high in the tank when it was initially set up, the previous owner had been doing calc pretty much everyday, have brought it down slowly)
pH: 7.9-8.1
Nitrate: 10ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 78-80.5
SG: 1.026

novahobbies

None from me...I only keep a single Monti in my tank, right now that's the extent of my SPS experience.
Is it at all possible you're light burning them?? What's your magnesium reading?

zanoshanox

I don't dose mag regularly but I do like 5g water changes weekly. I think my main fault was positioning it in one of the spots in the tank that gets minimal flow. And I'm kinda screwed now because I cant really add a powerhead to position the flow in that direct spot.

zanoshanox

So it's been a while since I gave an update...Been a hectic couple of weeks. Fragged an acro that had started to brown out/die off in the middle, the frags are doing well. Had an issue with my HOB fuge. MY pump feeding the fuge because disconnected to the tube and stopped feeding the tank. My heater then proceeded to cook my fuge, i woke up in the morning and my fuge water was over 90 degrees! Decided to tear down the fuge, clean it out and start over. Got some miracle mud on the way, I really need to get a protein skimmer though. Some of my SPS (mainly montis) have started looking stressed lately. My red capricornis is stuck in an area of the tank that needs more flow, unfortunately i cant position any power heads in that direction that would make it look ridiculous... My encrusting motis arent making a very good comeback, due to the stress put on them by the blenny nipping the polyps, and the recent water wuality issues. I made a mistake by letting my MG drop, I hadn't been dosing it or keeping track of it the way I have been my alk and CA. Got a new test kit and started dosing it, hopefully I can get all of my levels stable and corals make a comeback. My GSP colony is also in a horrible spot, stinging everything. I need to upgrade, place some of my SPS in better positions in the new tank and give things more room to grow out. I need an external sump/fuge and a skimmer...I'm gonna start looking.
Monti dieing off...

Capricornis color has really faded over the past couple weeks, and a few spots have bleached. I think it is due to lack of water movement

New Lepastrea Colony =]

Pink Millie Frag

zanoshanox

My buddy who is a photographer came over the other day to test out his new camera on the fish tank. Got some sweet shots =]

zanoshanox

Decided it was time for an upgrade, picked this 90g up on CL a couple days ago. Has a matching canopy (not pictured here) and dual 250w halides, not sure if I'm going to stick with them. No time table yet for when the tank will be set up but I'm thinking a couple of months. Want to get it set up and stabilized before I move everything over from the 40g (which is packed!)
Anyway, here are some pics of the tank. I'll get keep you guys posted as I set up the filtration and get it cleaned up and ready to go.

zanoshanox

Yeah i'm pretty excited for the project, a little intimidated as well. Never had a tank this big before.
Here are some pics of my recent additions and an updated FTS =]

novahobbies

YEAH!! New tank project!
90g is a great tank. You're gonna love it. Will you make a new thread for the build? And where is it going to go...is it going to replace the 40 in that spot?

zanoshanox

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what kind of LED lights to go with for the 90g.
I've been looking at the Kessil A350 Wides, but I kind of want something with an automated dimming feature to mimic sunrise and sunset. I really like how small these lights are and how they can be hung or mounted very easily, brightness is also very good, just would kind of like something the the auto dim feature.
Checked out the radion xr30's but that would cost be about 1500 bucks to cover the whole tank. That's a little out of my budget. Found some good looking fixtures on ebay with programmable dimming LEDs, a 48" w/ 3w leds that looked great on paper, just don't know how reliable those ebay brands are.
Anybody have any suggestions for a 48" reliable led fixture for my tank under 1000$?
Any advice is really appreciated!