Shark/aggressive tank

patrick8929

hi everyone,

i wont be able to start this project any time soon but i am really interested in started a good shark/aggressive tank. i think it would be a really awesome project..... i will have to save up for a while!! but once i am older and have a house i would really like to have one. so..... what all do i need? what size tank do i need for 1-2 sharks and other aggressive fish? cost? refegium? any advice you can give me please!!!
than you for your time!

mboswell1982

well patrick, if you check out the den of divers, theyve got a pair of sharks, m/f pair, that are about 18" long :p
but, for a shark tank for 2 sharks? and a few other agressive fish? your gonna want at least a 500g tank from what all ive been able to gather on here, basically, ur gonna want crimzy's tank on steroids LOL

patrick8929

okay i was thinking about that much. how much can i keep in that large of a tank? how much do they go for? and what equipment would i need?

rotarymagic

what kind of sharks??
the most basic of swimmers, smoothhounds need around 1000gallons a piece at full size...
requiem sharks like black tips, white tips, etc.. I've heard need upwards of 5000gallons.

mboswell1982

well, if its gonna be a while, i can build u a tank that size when ur ready, and i wont charge u more than what the materials cost me plus shipping :p and ill make it out of whatever u want it made out of, be it acrylic or glass LOL
and u could prolly keep a few assorted triggers, i think, with the sharks, im not sure though to be honest

mboswell1982

what about those sharks i showed you last night rotary, they only get to about 30" long when full grown, the papuan eppaulettes, or however us pell it lol

patrick8929

wow that would be awesome if you could build one for me. yea it gunna be like years before i can do it but i am very serious about doing it. i dont know alot about it so what ever is the best to make it out of is good with me. i dont know what kid of sharks i want but the size of the tank depends on my house..... i would love a custom tank in the basement but we will have to wait and see. what sharks do you all suggest for a beginner? some thing cool to look at.

mboswell1982

the papuan epaulette sharks, sp, are prolly the easiest sharks to take care of, they're also the most common, and according to all the literature ive seen on them, they will reproduce in captivity

mboswell1982

u should be able to keep maybe a tang or 2, or a trigger or 2 of some kind, i know theres a thread on here about that somewhere lol

mboswell1982

Originally Posted by unleashed
http:///forum/post/2854029
if your tank were much larger 300 + gal then you could get away with some tangs sich as hippo ,naso ,unicorn, sailfins scopus etc.with the bamboo shark if hes small enough.. i wouldnt recommend these with a horned..i idnt have issues with my white spot bamboo in a semi aggressive reef he did quite well actually as did the other fish that he lived with.
its been 2 yrs since i sold that tank but ill try to remember the entire stock mind you these were all from previous tanks owned for a few yrs b4 placed in the 300 these were alot of larger show sized fish
large vol lion
pair bird wrass
hippo tang
unicorn tang
sailfin tang
scupus tang
lined eyed surgeon
majestic foxface
Australian dotty back
coral beauty
flame hawk
lawnmower blenny
butterfly(cant remember the name )
3 maroon clownfish 2 gold one reg
white spot bamboo shark 26 inch 1 yr old
300+ lbs live rock
several soft corals ,polups,zoas, etc
all tank mates got along very well the shark was very well behaved with others and visa versa however this is not to say that you wont have issues..I just did not... but I was also able to keep 3 clowns in one anenome lol
there, i found it LOL u could prolly do this, but, maybe not go quite so heavy on the stock list LOL

patrick8929

i agree thanks for that post! and i would want a shark to look at not one that hides all day. what about a bamboo? they look really cool...hard or easy to take care of?

mboswell1982

all sharks are very finicky about water quality, but, the epaulletes and the bamboos will spend their days swimming around the tank, what ill try an do is round off the corners of the tank, so its easier for them to swim in, make it like a big oval kinda tank

mboswell1982

go through this forum as well patrick, there's quite a few threads on sharks, and im willin to listen to rotary ont he sharks :p but, i do know that the 2 epaullete sharks, reg epaullete's, not the papuans, i saw at the only LFS ive found so that i liked halfway were very active, swimming around an around in a 500g tank, they were prolly 2 ft long each

patrick8929

okay i will look at the other threads on here. im thinking i want something bigger than 500 gallons. maybe like a fiberglass tub like 1000 gallons with a flat side with glass to look through.