Shipping Question

sparty059

Does anyone know if there is anything for a first time buyer for shipping? I'm interested in buying a tang here as my LFS doesn't have any in yet and I just don't want to wait a week or two to get the tang. However, I can't spend $100 to buy what I only need (a tang) just to get the free shipping. Do you know if they'd drop the shipping price to $10 for a first time buyer or anything similar to that? I know shipping is expensive, but I figured there might be an offer for a first time buyer to drop shipping to $10/$15.
This is also directed to SWF.com, but just an all around question to everyone. Thanks in advance!

monsinour

you get 15% off your first order here, not sure if that includes shipping or not, but 15% is nothing to sneeze at.

sparty059

Yeah. I mean, I'd love to try SWF out. I just can't ever find anything to buy $100 for when if I went into my LFS I'd spend only $30 on anything that I would buy. You know? It's just my LFS doesn't have the fish I want this week and won't get anymore in until next week. I can't rationalize spending $69.99 for a Hippo Tang due to shipping instead of waiting a week and spend $30 or $40 at my LFS. But then everyone else would just say, well then buy $100 worth of stuff. But I can't just go ahead and buy $100 worth of fish when I can't just load them all into my QT. I surely can't get any extra coral because of my poor lighting, and there aren't any corals that I'd enjoy looking at that can deal with my lighting.

monsinour

Ricordea would probably do fine with your lighting and watching these things inflate during the day and deflate at night is rather cool. One of the most awesome things I ever saw my ricrodea do was catch and eat a mysis shrimp. I was completely taken back when I watch something that never really moves, transfer the mysis from the edge of the coral to the mouth and have it swallow the mysis whole. I would also imagine that you could get some zoas and place them towards the top of the tank.

sparty059

haha. I suppose I can't make a point that I wouldn't do that going into a LFS because I have the luxury of just walking in and saying I want one small $10 frag and then pay $10 and walk out because this is different. I'm just checking to see if there is anything where they drop the price of the shipping or anything. I doubt there is anything like that where they would do that just becasue again, shipping is so much, but I think it would be an awesome idea for them to make that promotion once or twice to a new customer or something.

sparty059

I WOULD have gotten the lion, the tang, and some CUC, that would have taken care of cost, but the freaking lion isn't on the page anymore! (Fu Manchu)

sparty059

Haha, I'll mark it to fl and have it forwarded to here haha.
I don't know if that includes fu. Wishful thinking.

monsinour

its the lions that are caught in the atlantic/carribean that are then sold for less. These fish do not belong here and there are no natural preditors for them here. Its actually causing a big problem because these lions are eating all the other fish and nothing natural around to stop them.
Sparty, I paid $40 in shipping for those 3 pieces of coral not to long ago. Could I have gotten them at my LFS and not paid shipping? Sure. Would I have paid $34 for 10 heads of duncans? NO! My LFS has 12 heads for $150. Find a deal that works for you and pay the shipping. Its actually worth it for the experience. I considered it $20 for shipping and $20 for the experience of opening a box filled with goodies that get to go into the tank. It was rather fun opening and acclimating. Our order from SWF.com will include a fish (maybe) so that not only can we do the same thing as before with the corals, but this time also have a fish in there! Cant wait.

gemmy

I also rationalize the shipping cost as a type of insurance, since every LFS around me has a 0 guarantee policy while SWF has a 14 day guarantee.

mylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinourhttp:///forum/thread/383592/shipping-question#post_3356076
Sparty, I paid $40 in shipping for those 3 pieces of coral not to long ago. Could I have gotten them at my LFS and not paid shipping? Sure. Would I have paid $34 for 10 heads of duncans? NO! My LFS has 12 heads for $150. Find a deal that works for you and pay the shipping. Its actually worth it for the experience. I considered it $20 for shipping and $20 for the experience of opening a box filled with goodies that get to go into the tank. It was rather fun opening and acclimating. Our order from SWF.com will include a fish (maybe) so that not only can we do the same thing as before with the corals, but this time also have a fish in there! Cant wait.
Actually it was only $30 in shipping. Believe you me, when it comes to prices, I remember! And I figured when we were getting a 10 headed frag of duncans for $34, even with the shipping we could never get that deal anywhere here. Even at $64 it was a steal. Then add in the blue tubs we apid about $14 for and the rainbow ricordea that was $12 something, then they added two frags of free xenia. Can't beat that. I am a bargain shopper to the extreme!

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
Sparty:
Shipping is a major expense and I'm sorry we can't do more to help you there. We do currently have a 15% discount on Marine Life for first time buyers, so I think that should help. I also think if you look at the quality, and what you get for the $$ spend you would be pleased. Regardless of whether you choose to support us or not, I hope you enjoy using the boards and we welcome you as a member.
Scott