short fragging videos

reefkprz

OK this is the thread for my quick fragging videos.
I will be making many of these over time.
the first is me fragging a red ball sponge.
couple tips when fragging sponges.
1 NEVER remove them from the water as sponges cannot expell air this will usually kill them.
2 dont be scared they are tough, cut, rip, wont hurt them. all it takes is one little chunk to grow a whole new critter.
3 wear gloves, I didnt in this video because I am out and really wanted to get that fragged. no excuse though. some sponges have silica based fibers that can penetrate the skin just like a shard of glass. nearly impossible to remove without breaking and can cause nasty infections.

More to come I promise, I need to pick up gloves after I get my paycheck and run to fed ex to ship out some corals, so by late afternoon early evening there should be another video, if all goes to plan.

alanwest

all i have to say is nice tattoo. lol jk thanks alot for the video. i hope u do a poly also just kinda wondering on how to do that one.

reefkprz

ahh. man I'm dumb today. that didnt even click.
Yeah I'll do protopalys and zoas, as well as mushrooms, some GSP I'm going to do vids of the stuff everyone always asks about first.

reefkprz

So I forgot to buy gloves when I was out and about. sorry I will get some tommorrow. I started drinking a beer so I cant go get more. wont drive even after one sorry.
so I fragged my HUGE leather instead.
This one I have to frag in tank. too big to remove and attached to too much rock. NEVER frag in your tank if you can avoid it. especially leathers. they secrete chemical warfare toxins when damaged, and can pollute your tank to combat this in this instance I set my skimmer for a wet skimm and added fresh carbon.

keep in mind when I shoot these quickie videos I cannot see what my camera does so I have to guess if I am shooting it well enough to see what is happening. Practice makes perfect. you should see my homemade tripod for my camera for in tank fragging its a spec container with a mag float inside the bottom to stick it to the side of the aquarium and a suction cup to keep it from sliding down. once I load this here it will be the first time I watch this video. Also I am seeing how fast I can do the deed fragging. to keep the vids short and sweet, as well as cut upload time, (which I hate)

reefkprz

kind of cool seeing it suck its polyps in as it gets ticked off at me for hacking it. two minutes two frags. once they heal about 10$ each that translates to 60$ and hour. pretty sweet.

reefkprz

her eis a pic of my leather now, an hour and a hlaf after fragging still ticked bu8t polyps are coming back out.

reefkprz

thanks. hopefully the rest come out short and sweet like these ones. I think the zoa vids will be a little longer as the process is a little more involved.

isistius

hey reef-
how tight it the rubberband? whenever i try it, i guess the rubberband ends up too tight and i cut the frag in half. but when it's not too tight, the lil bugger just slips out. maybe its the rubberbands???

trainfever

I would suggest you buy a knife handle or find a better way to cut the frags. One slip and you could possibly contaminate your tank with blood. Also since some corals give off toxins while fragging, you could possibly contaminate yourself. Just a suggestion.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Isistius
hey reef-
how tight it the rubberband? whenever i try it, i guess the rubberband ends up too tight and i cut the frag in half. but when it's not too tight, the lil bugger just slips out. maybe its the rubberbands???
I do it just tight enough to hold it in place I have had them slip out before but I just redo it a little tighter. I have also cut them in half I made a two header that way that I traded to michaued65 who is on here once in a while. fortunatly it attached before they seperated.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by trainfever
I would suggest you buy a knife handle or find a better way to cut the frags. One slip and you could possibly contaminate your tank with blood. Also since some corals give off toxins while fragging, you could possibly contaminate yourself. Just a suggestion.
I agree. usually I frag out side of the tank to prevent things like that and usually I wear gloves BUT I was out of gloves and had the urge to frag. Like I said on the sponge post thats not an excuse. Thanks for your concern. I want to pick up a scalpel and an expensive kitchen knife that'll hold a razor edge. but I have been using razor blades for so long that I just go with what I have. Thats also why I was fragging the leather instead of palys! palytoxins are scary things.

reefkprz

here is my take on gloves and how important they are this is from my other fragging thread
one thing that I only touched on in passing is the importance of gloves. I'm only going to list a few of the reasons to wear them, but honestly they should be enough for any body.
1 palytoxins see this thread about palytoxins for an explination
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/
2 super glue see the glove picture on my thread "more fragging fun". (not to mention I have glued my hand to rocks before, this is NOT fun)
3 bacteria, all corals host many types of bacteria, the slime coating on the outside of corals is the IDEAL breeding ground for them. bacteria like Vibrio and pseudomonas (the bacterias that can cause life threatening diarhea, not the way I wanna go out) even when wearing gloves washing your hands and forearms after is important.
4 bristle worms, most of us know how irritating a fingerload of spines can be, to those that are allergic it can be quite painfull. they do hid in and amonst your rocks so at anytime when your handling rock they could be looking for a way off the bumpy ride.
5 soap residue, oils, chemicals, present on your hands, there is a chance anything on your hands could potentially hurt your coral, since we are trying to make more why risk it.
this is just a few reasons, though there are more like, if you slip while cutting with a razor, the rubber glove, as the blade penetrates it, wipes some of whatever is on the leading edge of the blade back (kind of like a squegee). so palytoxins or bacteria have less chance of penetrating as deep into the cut, making it easier to clean out. I know I sound like a paranoid coot but its just basic hygene and awareness.

estein02

This may be dumb, but those little pieces you cut off will grow into a large coral like the one you cut them from? How long does it usually take for that to happen? As you can tell I haven't even begun to research the coral side of marine life, but this is wild!

trainfever

Originally Posted by estein02
This may be dumb, but those little pieces you cut off will grow into a large coral like the one you cut them from? How long does it usually take for that to happen? As you can tell I haven't even begun to research the coral side of marine life, but this is wild!
Yes those little pieces will grow into full size corals. The length of time depends on the coral and the parameters of the tank in which they are housed.

reefkprz

I would guess with ideal conditions the size frags I cut could get around that size in 3-4 years, maybe.