Sick Seahorse

meowzer

WELL....we seem to have a consensu that it IS EGBD!!!! ALSO that it needs to be treated with diamox, which I will try to locate here in the morning.
I wil lset up the 16G tomorrow...BUT will not move the horse until I have my hands on the diamox....I am told it is a 3 day treatment.....prayers and fingers crossed all

teresaq

with your tank, since the treatment is a 250 mg tablet for 10 gal, I would not put the full 16 gal in unless you can figure out how to split one for the extra 6 gal of water. lol I would just put in 10 gal of water to make it easier for treatment
T

S

shrimpy brains

So sorry, Meowzer! Did you get some Diamox yet? I can send you some, if you need. Just pm me your address.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/385742/sick-seahorse/20#post_3384518
with your tank, since the treatment is a 250 mg tablet for 10 gal, I would not put the full 16 gal in unless you can figure out how to split one for the extra 6 gal of water. lol I would just put in 10 gal of water to make it easier for treatment
T
OH....Thank you for pointing that out.....I totally overlooked that

meowzer

SMALL UPDATE
SH.ORG said the 5G would be fine for a hospital...so I think I will use that in stead of the 16G...especially since the treatment is short. Temp on chiller is set at 70....tank read 69.5 this morning. When I fed them, this guy came a 'swimmin" so appetite and motivation is excellent still.....
ALSO...have not found meds yet....waiting for a call from a dr :(

flower

5g...? Boy thats pretty small.
What will you use for filtration? Doing on any water changes, that kind of stuff. Post everything about how you are setting things up so if I ever (and I hope I wont)....need to do the same, I will have an idea of what to do.
I have my finger and toes crossed for all to turn out good for the little critter.

meowzer

The 5g tank has a filter that came with it......ALTHO....when using meds you do not use filtration media....I may run the filter soe circulation
I also have a Koralia 1 I can use....BUT I think in a SH QT...you need an air pump with an airline in it...and of course hitch's
I think that since this is a (supposedly) fast treatment....the 5g will work
OH...I also keep ro/di ice made, and I will keep fresh SW made up for w/c's....and I MAY freeze some SW to keep the temps in this tank down

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/385742/sick-seahorse/20#post_3384618
The 5g tank has a filter that came with it......ALTHO....when using meds you do not use filtration media....I may run the filter soe circulation
I also have a Koralia 1 I can use....BUT I think in a SH QT...you need an air pump with an airline in it...and of course hitch's
I think that since this is a (supposedly) fast treatment....the 5g will work
OH...I also keep ro/di ice made, and I will keep fresh SW made up for w/c's....and I MAY freeze some SW to keep the temps in this tank down
I would never had thought of ice....What are you going to use as hitches?

meowzer

OK....here is the hospital tank with 1 airline.....I can not use the filter for circulation...it is not strong enough to pull the water up PLUS I decided it would make too much of a waterfall
need to know if I should add 2 airlines....waiting for an answer from the other forum too on that

flower

They don't make those coraner bubblers with charcoal and filament do they? That would be the best thing,
...Aquariumguys have it...$3.59

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/385742/sick-seahorse/20#post_3384773
But you don;t need the charcoal......I was just gonna use it for water movement purposed
I know you don't want charcoal when you use medicines...but don't you need some kind of filter to remove waste and hold the good bacteria? I have never done a hospital tank, let alone one for a seahorse. For water movement only...I would think two air bubble lines would work just fine.
I'm trying to figure out what I should have on hand as well...your horse got sick out of the blue, so they must be far more delicate than I realized...I am totally unprepared for any emergancy. I have a 20g empty tank in the garage, that's about it.

meowzer

You siphon the waste out daily.....on the seahorse site there is a list of what you should keep on hand....

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/385742/sick-seahorse/20#post_3384781
Wow...I have to get busy and find that stuff.
I hope those meds are good for more than a year, I would hate to have to toss them each year and buy new.
exactly.....BUT Flower....you may have more resources where you live then I do.....if you can find the stuff locally, then you just need to know where to get it

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/385742/sick-seahorse/20#post_3384786
exactly.....BUT Flower....you may have more resources where you live then I do.....if you can find the stuff locally, then you just need to know where to get it
Okay...will do, so I need to check around so I know where to go for meds.
Thank you, I just about to get online and start ordering.
Keep us up to date on your critters condition, it sounds like all will be okay. All digits are still crossed.