Snake's Official 110g Build Thread

novahobbies

Speaking as someone who has had a large panel of tempered glass break (not on a tank, thankfully....)
Be very careful. When tempered glass breaks, its kind of explosive. I was heating a piece of plastic for a model build about 5 years ago on my workbench, which happened to be covered with a large piece of tempered glass. I was using a standard kitchen butane torch, and I didn't think of the heat differential. I kept the torch pointing at the table for too long....and boom. The entire glass top exploded into thousands of tiny bits. Lucky I was wearing my safety glasses, because I found more than a couple new scratches on the lenses after that episode.
The scary thing is it didn't take too long to do it. Maybe 30 seconds of the torch being pointed at it.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, stuff happens. I'm glad no one got hurt!
I'm working on Flowers canopy today and doing some more sanding on that stand and canopy for that large tank. It's going to be one long, hot day for me. lol
Anyways, I don't know. I'm kinda on the fence about a lot of things about the tank at the moment. I might just get a big glass holes overflow and drill the holes and be done with it. I don't mind the water noise anyways. I find it kind of soothing.

S

siptang

Holy crap that's pretty scary...
I did that when I was a kid... I put a glass cup on the stove to warm it up (I was 7 sue me lol) went to the living room to play and bam it exploded and scared the Jesus out of my mom and myself.
Seth, the Dude is back!

snakeblitz33

LOL, yes, the dude is back. Everyone hated that I changed my avatar. So, they wanted the dude back... what can I say.... the dude abides.

snakeblitz33

So,... I might be buying a 240g tank friday for $150.
I dont know if the deal will happen yet or not. I hope that it will.

snakeblitz33

Lol. Im putting them both in storage until i know how big my new rent house is going to be. I should be moving in November so i will just have to see then. I wasnt going to be able to do anything with my 110g anyways until november or december. So, when i find out how much room we have to work with, ill set up one tank and sell the other one.
But for now, buying thr 240 is still up in the air. The seller wants to see if he can find someone to reseal it first before selling it to me on friday. Im kind of hoping he doesnt find anyone. Lol

snakeblitz33

Lol. The 110g is 30" tall. That would have to be one heck of a tall stand!! Hmm, but a 110g display and a 240g sump,.....
Naaaaa

novahobbies

Use 'em both. Butt them up together in a corner, use the 110g for a FOWLR tank and the 240 as a reef.

(This was always my dream scenario, using a 110 and a 265 in this configuration. LOL)

snakeblitz33

Lol. If anything it would be a 110g display refugium with a 240g reef. Actually, i would like it to be a 300g so it would be just as tall as the 110g.
So, i decided that since i am going back to school and not really going to have the money for the 240g, i am not going to get it. Even if i got it, i would have to reseal it, drill it, replace the trim etc etc. when i graduate and get a good job, we are going house hunting and hopefully we will have enough left over for a really nice large acrylic tank. A 180g or better. Big tanks, while beautiful, is a heck of a lot of work.

novahobbies

You have a very good point. Remember what I said about "dream tanks?" There's always one more, off in the future, that we think about.....but it's better to focus on what we have now, turn the things we already own into the things we really cherish. I gave up on my 265g Dream Tank, and decided to make the 110...the tank I already owned...the best damn tank I could possibly make. And with all the balls you have up in the air right now, you're probably better off leaving it be and just focusing on what you have to do and what you've got now. Deal with the here and now, and the future will take care of itself.
OK, I'm gonna quit before I get all Zen and stuff here.

snakeblitz33

LOL, so... the guy wants me to reseal his 240g. I have done reseal jobs before, but nothing of this size. I don't know what to charge or where to begin. I'll make a thread about it in a couple of minutes.

snakeblitz33

So, I'm not re-sealing the 240g, I am not buying the 240g it's still for sale and he is looking for a buyer for it within the next couple of weeks... if anyone is interested.
SO!!!! UPDATES!
My wife is hinting at moving into a new place at the beginning of next month. I also get a pretty sizable refund from going back to school. (of course, student loan to help ease the financial hardship of going back to school. So, my wife has been hinting of getting the 110g set up within the next couple of months.
I can't really know if I can set the tank up as a peninsula style tank until we move into a bigger place or not. Fingers crossed!!!