So I bought a gun... Few interesting facts about that...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505749
Good to see so many new gun owners learning to use their weapons the right way.
Back in the late 80's I knew someone who managed a gym. She said if half of their active members showed up once a week they'd have to double the size of their facility. The only way they were profitable is over selling the facility.
You didn't see some of these people. One woman stood there for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to load a magazine and take the safety off. Finally someone walked up to show her. It's was even funnier watching her try to shoot with her eyes closed...
Over selling a gym has nothing to do with it. Again, just like these new "gun owners", people by gym memberships as an impulse buy at the end of the year because these gyms provide mass reductions to join (no initiation fees, free add-ons of family members, reduced monthly fees, etc.). After a couple of months, they lose interest and quit going. Gyms love it because most of them require annual memberships, and you have to give at least a month's notice before cancelling and get charged some ridiculous cancellation fee.

acrylic51

Heck they make it harder to get a hazmat endorsement on your commercial drivers license than a gun.......
It can be up to a 90 day wait, and even on renewal they send the paperwork out 6 months ahead of time.....

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that#post_3505750
Hmmm...I don't know anything about a Boone & Crockett record book. Perhaps that was before my time. To be quite honest, this guy does a rather substantial amount of business since he's ridiculously motivated and determined. But It would be a tough task to satisfy 100% of people 100% of the time for anyone. I don't think that he would make any bones about thinning a heard if it was time to be done. But there are hunts that can be had that give you a much greater challenge other than paying low dollar for something cheap if that is what you're after. And I'm sure it would rival or surpass anything that the average hunter is going to go out to state or private land of someone who they know who will let them shoot there for cheap. These guys breed white tail deer with 20-30 points (yes I said 30 point bucks) and people pay upwards of $12,000-$14,000 to get one. And they will make it a real hunt for you.
Aside from the hunting side of things they actually do in large part believe in the preservation of species. Pretty much all of their animals are purposely bred and selected for hunts with that in mind. So it's not just completely senseless slaughtering of animals going on here. I know that he's sold some animals to one of the zoos down here on a few occasions. And if you like wild life and enjoy seeing something that you might not see every day then it's a cool place to go.
My wife and I both work directly for and under him as we are his two must trusted associates that essentially run his property management business yet we both do a lot for the ranch as well. Aside from that I think we have right around 300 mortgage loans that he is the financier for. My guy's and I turn anywhere from 2-6 houses in a month as well as maintain a few dozen rentals. These businesses turn out a fortune each in their own. But the ranch makes the most.
Just a little insight for you about me. Guns have simply always been a part of my life since I was born. My father and grandfather both served and both were enthusiasts but not very huge on hunting. My old man was crazy about it, even used to love carving and finishing his own stocks to make replicas of vintage muzzle loaders. Grandfather president of a gun club for several years. I'm not a huge hunter either but I know how if I ever have to. I just don't feel like I need too. For me guns have fallen in and out of popularity but they have always been a family affair. I'm probably not the trigger happy lunatic that you think I am, bionic.
And whether some folks realize it or not there are a lot of people who have a great deal of time, money or even their whole careers built around what some folks are suggesting we just simply do away with. Are they simply going to be the next industry casualty to add to the list? Or is the real question here if it would be wise to put so many people out on a whim in hopes that you might actually end up with some sort of definitive result to show for it? History is not on your side.
Go look at their web site. For 9 grand they'll "guarantee" you a 190 point or higher Boone & Crockett deer. A 200+ can be "quoted".
How can you guarantee an animal like this unless you're breeding them somewhere on the property, and keeping them away from other hunters that are out there on one of the lower costing shoots? I have no problem with the preservation part of these exoctic animals. However, it is what it is -- a breeding ground for making huge profits on specific animals that the "common" hunter may never see on a standard hunting lease in this state.
"Baiting" is commonplace these days when it comes to deer hunting. I have multiple buddies that spend months sticking out feeders on their property in specific locations to attract the deer and hogs in the vacinity. It's the ultimate Pavlov's Dog theory. Get the deer to feed at specific places at specific times for a couple of months, then set up blinds 100 yards or so from the feeders and wait like a sniper for them to show up at their predetermined times. At least a couple of them give them a sporting chance by using a bow instead of a rifle. I went out one time with a friend and his daughter to a feeder, and when we got there, the deer heard the Jeep and came running. His daughter was standing there hand feeding several of the doe. He told me that he only takes doe's as a last resort to use up tags, and he uses them as "bait" to bring in the bucks. At least I get venison steaks and venison jerky any time I want.

I may sound like an anti-gun nut, but I was practically born with a gun in my hand. My first gun was a single-shot .410 when I was 8 that I used for dove, quail, and squirrel. I'd spend the summers and fall at my aunt/uncle's farm where if we weren't frog giggin' and running trot lines for catfish, we were hunting squirrels, hogs, raccoons, quail, dove, deer or anything else we could use as food. When I waas in high school and college, I worked part-time at my brother's gun shop. That's where I got to play with every "toy" imaginable. I shot more frequently back then because my brother and I could reload our own ammo for probably around 5 cents per shell. We'd spend the Thanksgiving holidays over in the Big Bend area (specifically Terlingua) hunting mule deer on foot. That's where my AR came into good use. My biggest buck was 250+ pounds, and I had to leave almost half of it on top of a butte because the idiots we were hunting with that had the ATV's got "too cold" and went back to camp. Nothing like dragging 100+ pounds of backstrap and hind quarters almost 2 miles back to base camp in 30 degree weather. I actually had more fun with the rattlesnake hunts we'd do during "down time" from deer hunting. We'd find anywhere between 10 - 30 rattlers anywhere from 2 feet up to 5 feet. Skin them and use the meat in my chili. I had a taxidermy in Houston that would give me a minimum of $20 for each full skin, $10 for a head, and $5 for a rattle. My brother still has this 6 1/2 foot skin tanned and mounted on a board that we pulled from underneath this large rock. That was the one time I actually had second thoughts about hunting those critters.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505796
Go look at their web site. For 9 grand they'll "guarantee" you a 190 point or higher Boone & Crockett deer. A 200+ can be "quoted".
How can you guarantee an animal like this unless you're breeding them somewhere on the property, and keeping them away from other hunters that are out there on one of the lower costing shoots? I have no problem with the preservation part of these exoctic animals. However, it is what it is -- a breeding ground for making huge profits on specific animals that the "common" hunter may never see on a standard hunting lease in this state.
"Baiting" is commonplace these days when it comes to deer hunting. I have multiple buddies that spend months sticking out feeders on their property in specific locations to attract the deer and hogs in the vacinity. It's the ultimate Pavlov's Dog theory. Get the deer to feed at specific places at specific times for a couple of months, then set up blinds 100 yards or so from the feeders and wait like a sniper for them to show up at their predetermined times. At least a couple of them give them a sporting chance by using a bow instead of a rifle. I went out one time with a friend and his daughter to a feeder, and when we got there, the deer heard the Jeep and came running. His daughter was standing there hand feeding several of the doe. He told me that he only takes doe's as a last resort to use up tags, and he uses them as "bait" to bring in the bucks. At least I get venison steaks and venison jerky any time I want.

I may sound like an anti-gun nut, but I was practically born with a gun in my hand. My first gun was a single-shot .410 when I was 8 that I used for dove, quail, and squirrel. I'd spend the summers and fall at my aunt/uncle's farm where if we weren't frog giggin' and running trot lines for catfish, we were hunting squirrels, hogs, raccoons, quail, dove, deer or anything else we could use as food. When I waas in high school and college, I worked part-time at my brother's gun shop. That's where I got to play with every "toy" imaginable. I shot more frequently back then because my brother and I could reload our own ammo for probably around 5 cents per shell. We'd spend the Thanksgiving holidays over in the Big Bend area (specifically Terlingua) hunting mule deer on foot. That's where my AR came into good use. My biggest buck was 250+ pounds, and I had to leave almost half of it on top of a butte because the idiots we were hunting with that had the ATV's got "too cold" and went back to camp. Nothing like dragging 100+ pounds of backstrap and hind quarters almost 2 miles back to base camp in 30 degree weather. I actually had more fun with the rattlesnake hunts we'd do during "down time" from deer hunting. We'd find anywhere between 10 - 30 rattlers anywhere from 2 feet up to 5 feet. Skin them and use the meat in my chili. I had a taxidermy in Houston that would give me a minimum of $20 for each full skin, $10 for a head, and $5 for a rattle. My brother still has this 6 1/2 foot skin tanned and mounted on a board that we pulled from underneath this large rock. That was the one time I actually had second thoughts about hunting those critters.
Yes, they do keep the breeding animals separate from the rest of the stock. So when someone wants to pay for an actual hunt that is going to be a challenge for them the animal is pre selected and then turned loose in one of the large plots (traps). They have several traps and some are 40+ acres. You'd have to literally hunt and track that animal. And then if you couldn't get it done then they will help make it real easy for you. When you pay that kind of money you will get the animal one way or another.
They have a plethora of bow hunters that come out there as well. Pretty much any kind of hunter. The vast majority are locals who just want to come in there and be the ones to harvest their own meat. They aren't looking for a long hunt, they just want to pull the old bow or riffle out and be the one to take the animal. And ofcorse they have guys with deep pockets who come in there just looking for a trophy who don't care about the meat. The meat that is left behind is actually donated to the local towns folk who are appreciative to have it. And split amungst the staff
. He also sells livestock to other ranchers as well as butchers and meat processing facilities.
If you want one of those "platinum whitetail" breeding bucks it's going to cost you upwards of $30,000+.
Making money is the American Way, Bionic. He charges $65 for dove (cleaned for you if you want) because he can. I was out there for the opening weekend of dove. He had over 150 hunters there in just the first weekend alone. This time of year he has regular groups of guys coming in dropping $60,000 - $80,000, ever other week to hunt. Not counting the the dozens of individual hunters coming in between to harvest their own meat. Plus all of the breeding and selling that they do. This guy spends 50-60K a month on animal feed, dude! It's crazy. You bet it makes him a ton a money. But it takes a ton of it to maintain the property, feed and keep the animals healthy as well.

darthtang aw

That's where my AR came into good use.  My biggest buck was 250+ pounds, and I had to leave almost half of it on top of a butte because the idiots we were hunting with that had the ATV's got "too cold" and went back to camp.
Did I just read that? You gave a reason on why to own an AR?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505801
Did I just read that? You gave a reason on why to own an AR?
I believe I've stated multiple times the advantages of using an AR for deer hunting. But that's not what 95% of the people who own those weapons use them for. They drop $1200 to go blow $50 in 15 minutes shooting at helpless targets, then sit it in their closet for another couple years before they pull it out to do the same thing, or to get that "rush" by pulling the trigger as fast as they can to impress their beer drinking buddies. They claim it's for "home protection", but would probably end up shooting a family memeber before hitting someone breaking into their home. After a few years, they figure they can use the money instead of watching it sit in a closet collecting dust, so they stick it on Craigslist or their local classified ads, and wait for some nutbag like this Lanza character, or the other one from Aurora to come buy it from them without showing any proof of ID.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505809
I believe I've stated multiple times the advantages of using an AR for deer hunting. But that's not what 95% of the people who own those weapons use them for. They drop $1200 to go blow $50 in 15 minutes shooting at helpless targets, then sit it in their closet for another couple years before they pull it out to do the same thing, or to get that "rush" by pulling the trigger as fast as they can to impress their beer drinking buddies. They claim it's for "home protection", but would probably end up shooting a family memeber before hitting someone breaking into their home. After a few years, they figure they can use the money instead of watching it sit in a closet collecting dust, so they stick it on Craigslist or their local classified ads, and wait for some nutbag like this Lanza character, or the other one from Aurora to come buy it from them without showing any proof of ID.
Again with the ridiculous generalizations. And neither Lanza or Holmes bought their weapons from private parties.

darthtang aw

I believe I've stated multiple times the advantages of using an AR for deer hunting.  But that's not what 95% of the people who own those weapons use them for.  They drop $1200 to go blow $50 in 15 minutes shooting at helpless targets, then sit it in their closet for another couple years before they pull it out to do the same thing, or to get that "rush" by pulling the trigger as fast as they can to impress their beer drinking buddies.  They claim it's for "home protection", but would probably end up shooting a family memeber before hitting someone breaking into their home.  After a few years, they figure they can use the money instead of watching it sit in a closet collecting dust, so they stick it on Craigslist or their local classified ads, and wait for some nutbag like this Lanza character, or the other one from Aurora to come buy it from them without showing any proof of ID.
I love your generalizations and stereotypes.
I know 5 people that own ar class weapons. During the warm months we go shooting regularly (every other weekend). Be it target practice or what not. we shoot clays (moving targets Gasp!) and standing targets. We even "race". Moveable steel targets that move after hit...alternating shots to see who can acquire the new target fastest. And yes, we take our kids. My 9 year old son and my 12 year old step daughter both own their own gun.
Out of everyone I know with these "assault weapons" none of us have them sitting in our closets collecting dust.
During the hunting season we all usually hunt, I unfortunately have been so busy with my businesses I cant get 3 days in a row for myself to go. But everyone I know has went except one person other than myself.
This is the gun my dad hunts with....

Why would he choose this over a bolt action rifle or even a normal ar-15? He is a Veteran,so that will give a clue.

crimzy

My 9 year old son and my 12 year old step daughter both own their own gun.
Darth I've known you on here for a few years and I respect and actually like you. I'm not even talking about this debate but bro this is one of the sickest, most disturbing things I've read in awhile. What happens when your 15 year old step daughter feels like her life is over because Little Johnny dumped her before homecoming? Or your boy can't face the world because he dropped an easy pop fly to send his high school team to states... or even worse when the school bully beats him up in front of everyone? What do you think happens when a middle schooler needs brags about his gun to be cool with the popular kids? You've given them such an attractive option that getting their hands on it will always be a danger. No matter what type of safe you use, a motivated, intelligent kid has a pretty good chance of catching you sleeping just once.
Seriously man, and I'm coming from a good place when I say this, you may want to re-think that particular philosophy in your parenting. If I'm wrong, no harm no foul, but if you're wrong...

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505824
Darth I've known you on here for a few years and I respect and actually like you. I'm not even talking about this debate but bro this is one of the sickest, most disturbing things I've read in awhile. What happens when your 15 year old step daughter feels like her life is over because Little Johnny dumped her before homecoming? Or your boy can't face the world because he dropped an easy pop fly to send his high school team to states... or even worse when the school bully beats him up in front of everyone? What do you think happens when a middle schooler needs brags about his gun to be cool with the popular kids? You've given them such an attractive option that getting their hands on it will always be an option for them. No matter what type of safe you use, a motivated, intelligent kid has a pretty good chance of catching you sleeping just once.
Seriously man, and I'm coming from a good place when I say this, you may want to re-think that particular philosophy in your parenting. If I'm wrong, no harm no foul, but if you're wrong...
I take it you've never owned guns? It is quite common for kids that young to get their first gun, That doesn't mean they have unsupervised access to it. When I was a kid my older brother had a few guns his grandpa (half brother) gave him. My dad stored them at his office. A buddy of mine in Az gave all three of his kids their first gun by the time they hit first grade. He didn't give them the combination to the gun safe.

crimzy

I take it you've never owned guns? It is quite common for kids that young to get their first gun, That doesn't mean they have unsupervised access to it. When I was a kid my older brother had a few guns his grandpa (half brother) gave him. My dad stored them at his office. A buddy of mine in Az gave all three of his kids their first gun by the time they hit first grade. He didn't give them the combination to the gun safe.
I've had my Glock for about15 years now. My kids don't even know it exists and won't unless I had to use it to protect my family. Both my phone and my iPad have combination security and both my 5 and 7 year olds got the combinations by simply looking over my shoulder. Again, I find it sick and irresponsible. And I'm saving the redneck jokes for a less egregious example.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505826
I've had my Glock for about15 years now. My kids don't even know it exists and won't unless I had to use it to protect my family. Both my phone and my iPad have combination security and both my 5 and 7 year olds got the combinations by simply looking over my shoulder. Again, I find it sick and irresponsible. And I'm saving the redneck jokes for a less egregious example.
You should be more careful :)
Is your Glock locked up? Is it any more sick for a kid to get a hold of a gun that belongs to their parent than if it was theirs? I don't get the logic here. A kid who has fired a gun and seen what it is capable of is a hell of a lot less likely to ever accidentally shoot someone than one who doesn't understand the difference between a toy gun and a Glock.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505826
Talk about judgmental lol.

crimzy

You should be more careful :)
Is your Glock locked up? Is it any more sick for a kid to get a hold of a gun that belongs to their parent than if it was theirs? I don't get the logic here. A kid who has fired a gun and seen what it is capable of is a hell of a lot less likely to ever accidentally shoot someone than one who doesn't understand the difference between a toy gun and a Glock.
Like Adam Lanza? Nevermind... guess that doesn't fit into your "accident " question, huh...

crimzy

How is that even relevant?
Because he was that kid. Same parenting philosophy was catastrophic.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505831
Because he is that kid. Same parenting philosophy was catastrophic.
1. He was 20 years old
2. His mother didn't have the guns in a safe, despite having serious concerns over his mental state.
3. What he did was no accident
Want to know what is sick. The family of one of the surviving kids have already attempted to file a 20 million dollar lawsuit against the state. That is sick.

crimzy

1. He was 20 years old
2. His mother didn't have the guns in a safe, despite having serious concerns over his mental state.
3. What he did was no accident
Want to know what is sick. The family of one of the surviving kids have already attempted to file a 20 million dollar lawsuit against the state. That is sick.
If mom had homeowners it's an easy policy limit case.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505833
If mom had homeowners it's an easy policy limit case.
They aren't suing the mother, they are suing the state and now that I think about it the amount is 100 million. Given the financial status of the mother (living in a million dollar home) even though she didn't work I suspect there's some good insurance there but even if it's a million dollar liability policy split 26 ways it isn't going to go very far.

2quills

Crimzy, it's pretty obvious that guns scare the heck out of you. I started shooting riffle and bow right around the same time I was old as your youngest. And being a military brat I was taught from day one that guns were not toys. And that there were serious consequences to pay if I ever miss handled one. I was only allowed to shoot under my fathers or families supervision. Guns were always kept in a locked safe that my sister or I did not have access too. And we understood to stay away from the closet where the safe was kept. I had my good days and bad days in high school too but I never wished to kill anyone else or myself with a gun because of it. There is more than one way for a teen to commit suicide if that's what they ultimately end up doing. But for someone to want to kill defenseless human beings for absolutely no reason that makes sense to any of us then that speaks of a level of mental stability well beyond your average teen who's boyfriend just broke up with them.
I'd recommend that perhaps you get rid of your gun. Because it's situations like yours where kids ultimately and unwittingly stumble across them without realizing that they are there. And the ever curious creatures that we are at that age the urge to play around with it and check it out is how accidents happen. Situations like this has the lowest probably of ever being used for anything positive.
I had to take a deep breath after your earlier comment. Coming from someone who's lived in the "D" himself, there are others here who might not appreciate the racial undertones of your remark.