So I bought a gun... Few interesting facts about that...

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505872
The clays are used for getting used to hitting a moving target. Is it anymore a "waste of money" shooting at a still target. Jesus you will find something "dumb" about any aspect of shooting. Some people waste there money on sound systems, other people waste their money on drugs, and yet more waste their money on other frivilous crap. How I spend my money is my business. At one point I owned 8 aquariums costing me 1000 a month to maintain if not more. How is this not an equal waste of money?
That gun of my dad's, shoots the same caliber as the ar-15 which you claimed was a great weapon to hunt deer with. The difference is it is a pistol. He hastwo reconstructed shoulders and three fused vertebrae, a rigle or shotgun can hurt immensely to shoot so he uses a pistol.
I never claimed every gun owner was "responsible". Just like not every person that drinks alcohol is responsible.
I have stated I wouldn't mind a tax increase on certain weapons. and yes, my businesses are thriving. I also dont go by the latest flat screen TV (dont even own a flat screen) or the latest video console. How many adults drop 100s on video games. It is no different. My money goes towards this hobby of shooting. Everyone has hobby's...
You call yourself a responsible gun owner, but you shoot an AR at clay targets that fly 10 - 15 feet in the air? Depending on the grainload, a .223 can travel almost a mile depending on the trajectory. So you're shooting these bullets up in the air and don't know simple physics of "what goes up, must come down"? Clay targets are meant to be shot with shotguns. There's a logical reason why that is the primary weapon for that sport. There were two incidents here in San Antonio where these guys were at a local golf course that is less than a mile from this particular gun range. One was standing on the tee box, and all of a sudden he felt a sharp pain in his chest. he looks down, and sees this bullet protruding out of his skin near his breast bone. Ended up being a .223. A few weeks later, another guy gets grazed by a .223 while standing on the green. The gun range claims it didn't come from their place, and that there's multiple farms and fields between them and the golf course where someone else could've been shooting. Maybe they were just practicing their "moving target skills" and didn't think their bullets would travel that far.

At least with video games, you can re-use them over and over and get some decent use out of that $50 you pay for it. You blow $50 in 15 minutes. But like you say, it's a hobby. Some say I waste money playing golf at $50/round. But at least it's exercise (I always walk), and I get 4 - 5 hours of enjoyment.

darthtang aw

You call yourself a responsible gun owner, but you shoot an AR at clay targets that fly 10 - 15 feet in the air?
With a 500 hundred foot hillside as a backdrop? The bullets always hit the hill side. Unless the laws of physics have changed I doubt a .223 bullet can go through a hillside. Once again...assuming.
And we hike out to the hillside....so there is the exercise.
Spend more time backing up your position and less time trying to discredit my responsibility. As if you are a model citizen yourself, Mr. "I let the air out of tires of people that piss me off".

reefraff

So the guy who brags about shooting birds out of the trees around his house for nothing more than crapping on his Kia is calling into question the responsibility of someone who shoots clays with an AR LOL!

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505875
Boy oh boy. Some of you guys just aren't sure which side of the fence you're on when it comes to fire arms. One minute you're calling for a ban against assault riffles. The next you're saying that nobody knows how to act responsibly with a gun at the same time you sit here and defend your right to own one because you're sure that your kids aren't going to be the one to get their hands on it and cause an accident since you haven't told them that you own it yet. When are you guys going to pick an argument and stick with it? You're either against the right to own a gun or you aren't.
Which is it?
Is it really that black & white to you? I don't see it that way. I see two extremes and then a lot of grey area in the middle.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505883
With a 500 hundred foot hillside as a backdrop? The bullets always hit the hill side. Unless the laws of physics have changed I doubt a .223 bullet can go through a hillside. Once again...assuming.
And we hike out to the hillside....so there is the exercise.
Spend more time backing up your position and less time trying to discredit my responsibility. As if you are a model citizen yourself, Mr. "I let the air out of tires of people that piss me off".
You're assuming that a .223 can't go over a 500 foot hillside? Famous last words. Hope no one else is hiking that hillside while you're shooting randomly in the air with a semi-auto rifle.
All I do is clip their valves. I guess I could just be like a normal CCW carrier and pull my gun out and tell them to move out of the spot I was waiting for.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505891
So the guy who brags about shooting birds out of the trees around his house for nothing more than crapping on his Kia is calling into question the responsibility of someone who shoots clays with an AR LOL!
I live on over an acre of land. My nearest neighbor is about 500 yards away. Tell me how far a BB can travel in the air after going through a thick oak tree. BTW, it a Hyundai, not a Kia. Using your AR logic, I might as well start shooting the deer on my property with my 9mm. I mean, the bullet can't go that far, right?
What moron tries to shoot a clay target with a .223 shell?

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505900
I live on over an acre of land. My nearest neighbor is about 500 yards away. Tell me how far a BB can travel in the air after going through a thick oak tree. BTW, it a Hyundai, not a Kia. Using your AR logic, I might as well start shooting the deer on my property with my 9mm. I mean, the bullet can't go that far, right?
What moron tries to shoot a clay target with a .223 shell?
You know how many insects those birds eat a year? And you pop them for nothing more than crapping on your car? What kind of moron are you LOL! Ever hear of a garage or carport? I remember shooting birds with a BB gun just for kicks. Then I discovered girls.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505895
Is it really that black & white to you? I don't see it that way. I see two extremes and then a lot of grey area in the middle.
No bang. That's the problem. There is too much gray area which is why I don't see an argument for categorizing certain guns over others made by certain folks here who clearly don't have a very good handle on how a wide variety of them operate makes much sense. It's like asking your dentist to make the important decisions for you on how to build your house. He's going to blunder it all up.
I think I have already made mention that I am not apposed to the idea of some sort of stricter gun laws. Do I think those laws are going to do much good from preventing some sick person from killing a whole bunch of innocent people? No I do not! Which is why that I personally feel that unless you're going to go out and start rounding all of the guns up from all of the citizens of this nation tomorrow then you're wasting your time. And I think that history helps tell us that.
The only way you are going to make any real dent in preventing acts like this or other crimes for occurring is if you start you start taking some seriously extreme measures. What I've been seeing proposed here is not going to cut it. I'm not saying that putting armed officers in all of our school is the greatest idea (or the cheapest) but it has a much better chance of protecting innocent kids then some half arsed thought up gun regulations ever will. And that is my opinion on it.
Whether anyone else here disagrees with teaching a kid to learn about self control and responsibility using fire arms as a tool then that's fine for them. But not for everybody!

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505902
You know how many insects those birds eat a year? And you pop them for nothing more than crapping on your car? What kind of moron are you LOL! Ever hear of a garage or carport? I remember shooting birds with a BB gun just for kicks. Then I discovered girls.
Doves normal diet is grains and other types of grasses. They don't hang around for bugs, especially when it's 23 degrees outside. I have a 3-car garage and 5 cars. Two of them have to stay out in the open. Carport? The average cost of a home in my neighborhood is $350,000. For one, my HOA doesn't allow carports. Second, I don't live in some low-rent redneck neighborhood that allows them. Guess you don't know the acidic properties of bird crap, and how it can eat through clear coat and paint if not washed off. Kind of like leaving an egg on your car. The little shiny dangling things and the stupid little squaking owl didn't work. Maybe I should go buy another AR and start shooting them with it. I can justify it because I'm practicing my "moving target skills"...

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505906
No bang. That's the problem. There is too much gray area which is why I don't see an argument for categorizing certain guns over others made by certain folks here who clearly don't have a very good handle on how a wide variety of them operate makes much sense. It's like asking your dentist to make the important decisions for you on how to build your house. He's going to blunder it all up.
I think I have already made mention that I am not apposed to the idea of some sort of stricter gun laws. Do I think those laws are going to do much good from preventing some sick person from killing a whole bunch of innocent people? No I do not! Which is why that I personally feel that unless you're going to go out and start rounding all of the guns up from all of the citizens of this nation tomorrow then you're wasting your time. And I think that history helps tell us that.
The only way you are going to make any real dent in preventing acts like this or other crimes for occurring is if you start you start taking some seriously extreme measures. What I've been seeing proposed here is not going to cut it. I'm not saying that putting armed officers in all of our school is the greatest idea (or the cheapest) but it has a much better chance of protecting innocent kids then some half arsed thought up gun regulations ever will. And that is my opinion on it.
Whether anyone else here disagrees with teaching a kid to learn about self control and responsibility using fire arms as a tool then that's fine for them. But not for everybody!
I don't disagree with anything you said here except I do not believe we need any more federal gun laws. If the citizens of individual states want more restrictions that's where the laws should originate as long as they are not unconstitutional.

crimzy

So roughly 40 child deaths are a result of owning a gun irresponsibly. This means a greater majority of firearm owners must be acting in responsible manner. How many child deaths are a result of drinking irresponsibly each year?
I keep seeing you equate guns to alcohol. So I guess the next logical question is whether you give your 12 and 9 year olds a bottle of scotch to teach them responsibly or bond with them or whatever your purpose. Just curious...

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505911
I don't disagree with anything you said here except I do not believe we need any more federal gun laws. If the citizens of individual states want more restrictions that's where the laws should originate as long as they are not unconstitutional.
I couldn't agree with that more. The current administration wants to put forth more resources that we don't have to do it though. And there are a lot of people out there running high on emotion right now who are more than willing to let that happen. The one thing that I can see for sure is that it will cause a huge rift in the gun industry and put more people out of work. I don't think this would be wise to do right now. Let the states decide for themselves so if that's where you want to be, then great.
No matter how we shake a stick at it we simply don't have enough resources to stop all of the illegal drugs, guns or alcohol (if that were to be banned again too) from ever coming in to our country even if we'd like to. At best we can only ever manage a very tiny fraction of it. And we shouldn't categorize everybody for the actions of other people because I believe that's just wrong the wrong way to think (just me).
Criminals won't stop being criminals just because one or two types of guns aren't around any longer. And smart people with a motive to kill are going to find ways attempt it or to do it how ever they feel they are able. I'd really hate to see what would happen in this day and age if all of the guns in our nation disappeared tomorrow. I don't want to see our home turn into the middle east.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505910
Doves normal diet is grains and other types of grasses. They don't hang around for bugs, especially when it's 23 degrees outside. I have a 3-car garage and 5 cars. Two of them have to stay out in the open. Carport? The average cost of a home in my neighborhood is $350,000. For one, my HOA doesn't allow carports. Second, I don't live in some low-rent redneck neighborhood that allows them. Guess you don't know the acidic properties of bird crap, and how it can eat through clear coat and paint if not washed off. Kind of like leaving an egg on your car. The little shiny dangling things and the stupid little squaking owl didn't work. Maybe I should go buy another AR and start shooting them with it. I can justify it because I'm practicing my "moving target skills"...
So you are illegally hunting doves, nice.

reefraff

My own opinion is for many reasons we need a federal standard for official state ID's and Driver's licenses. Not for what it takes to get one but the ID itself. A lot of states already have the magnetic strip on the back that encode your identity. If all states did that you could have a federal law enforcement data base they could tie into so a cop swipes your driver's license and any warrants from any state would pop up. At the same time that data base could include a simple yes or no if a person is eligible to own a firearm. It wouldn't have to reveal the reason why so privacy would be protected. You want a gun, walk in, they swipe the ID and in a few seconds it will give a yes or no. Faster, cheaper and fewer mistakes. What I like about it is the federal government doesn't know if or when you are buying a gun. It just shows under federal law you aren't restricted from owning guns.
I know people get a little nervous about federal ID but as bad as identify theft is getting we need to do something. You could also set it up so people could encode stuff like medical conditions they suffer from or allergies.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505925
My own opinion is for many reasons we need a federal standard for official state ID's and Driver's licenses. Not for what it takes to get one but the ID itself. A lot of states already have the magnetic strip on the back that encode your identity. If all states did that you could have a federal law enforcement data base they could tie into so a cop swipes your driver's license and any warrants from any state would pop up. At the same time that data base could include a simple yes or no if a person is eligible to own a firearm. It wouldn't have to reveal the reason why so privacy would be protected. You want a gun, walk in, they swipe the ID and in a few seconds it will give a yes or no. Faster, cheaper and fewer mistakes. What I like about it is the federal government doesn't know if or when you are buying a gun. It just shows under federal law you aren't restricted from owning guns.
I know people get a little nervous about federal ID but as bad as identify theft is getting we need to do something. You could also set it up so people could encode stuff like medical conditions they suffer from or allergies.
Weren't you the one decrying the school district I'm in for issuing RFID school ID's to all the students in a couple of schools we have with high truancy rates? Yea, there's one girlwho refused to wear the thing due to "religious convictions". Her father said it was against their religious beliefs and forcing her to wear one was like making her wear the "Mark of the Devil". A federal judge has taken up the case now. So I can just imagine the firestorm that would be created with the "Big Brother Is Watching" as in the book "1984" attitude from all those on the Right...

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505935
Weren't you the one decrying the school district I'm in for issuing RFID school ID's to all the students in a couple of schools we have with high truancy rates? Yea, there's one girlwho refused to wear the thing due to "religious convictions". Her father said it was against their religious beliefs and forcing her to wear one was like making her wear the "Mark of the Devil". A federal judge has taken up the case now. So I can just imagine the firestorm that would be created with the "Big Brother Is Watching" as in the book "1984" attitude from all those on the Right...
No. I have no issue with requiring a kid to carry a card at school. I think it's a pretty good idea as long as parents have the ability to log into the system and track the lil mush heads too.

dragonzim

Actually, I think it's still dove season in my zone.  I still have a valid hunting license when I went dove hunting earlier this year.  I'm not hunting actually, just killing predators.  The stray cats and coons in my neighborhood love them for a nice midnight snack.
Doves are considered predators now?