So I bought a gun... Few interesting facts about that...

crimzy

Oy, how remedial. The silly little cliche of "a lawyer is suing for a bazillion cagillian dollars" is so played out. First of all, the filing of a lawsuit means nothing. Everyone has access to the courts and anyone can file a lawsuit for any amount of money, with or without a lawyer. Cases are dismissed everyday for being frivolous. I had someone call me the other day to sue her kid's school because he had been expelled... Why? because he punched a teacher in the face, lol. I politely told her to go jump in a lake.
But to truly criticize the case you need to evaluate the actual claims made. To sue the school, or the state on the school's behalf, you would need to overcome governmental immunity. There are several ways to do this but only one that would have a chance to fit here would be a claim of gross negligence, which requires extreme and outrageous conduct, such that it would "shock the conscience". Beyond that, you need damages, which the kid may actually have. I don't see liability here but if there are facts that show gross negligence then the family may get some money. And if that happens then the floodgates will open. However if there was extreme conduct amounting to gross negligence then the families are entitled to something.
Actually, if the attorney was smart, he'd try to bring 40 or 50 plaintiffs in the mix and get certified as a class action.
Footnote here... This analysis is based on Michigan law. Connecticut law may have slight variations but probably nothing monumental.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506014
Oy, how remedial. The silly little cliche of "a lawyer is suing for a bazillion cagillian dollars" is so played out. First of all, the filing of a lawsuit means nothing. Everyone has access to the courts and anyone can file a lawsuit for any amount of money, with or without a lawyer. Cases are dismissed everyday for being frivolous. I had someone call me the other day to sue her kid's school because he had been expelled... Why? because he punched a teacher in the face, lol. I politely told her to go jump in a lake.
But to truly criticize the case you need to evaluate the actual claims made. To sue the school, or the state on the school's behalf, you would need to overcome governmental immunity. There are several ways to do this but only one that would have a chance to fit here would be a claim of gross negligence, which requires extreme and outrageous conduct, such that it would "shock the conscience". Beyond that, you need damages, which the kid may actually have. I don't see liability here but if there are facts that show gross negligence then the family may get some money. And if that happens then the floodgates will open. However if there was extreme conduct amounting to gross negligence then the families are entitled to something.
Actually, if the attorney was smart, he'd try to bring 40 or 50 plaintiffs in the mix and get certified as a class action.
Footnote here... This analysis is based on Michigan law. Connecticut law may have slight variations but probably nothing monumental.
They have to apply to the state to allow the suit which is what this guy is doing. Not all lawyers are dirtbags. My wife has worked among them for about 30 years. But in this case

2quills

In this case the dirt is simply concealed behind the premise that it's all about gaining attention for security. Yeah, I'll buy that for dollar.

2quills

Score 1 more for the good guys in your area, Bionic.
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Deputy-shoots-gunman-at-San-Antonio-movie-theater/2wFsix5ntU2CDrsHjXx2kQ.cspx?fb_action_ids=145919572225618&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map={%22145919572225618%22:148219278659750}&action_type_map={%22145919572225618%22:%22og.recommends%22}&action_ref_map
Off duty officer working security at a movie theater takes out a bad guy with a gun who start shooting up the restaurant where he worked after breaking up with his girl friend.
I'm sure the assault weapons ban could have prevented it though. :p

darthtang aw

Darth isn't shooting a some range as he tells it.  He's out on somebody's property banging out boxes of shells into some 500 foot hillside.  He's probably wasted wildlife he didn't even knew existed in that area.
1. I am not breaking any laws. Unlike your year round dove "hunting".
2. The hillside is made of Lime and magnesium....look up what the relevance of that is.
3. The military and Police forces practice drills out in the area regularly. I am sure my ammunition is no where near the amount placed out in the BLM.
4. When have I supported environmental initiatives like you have?
5. I enjoyed discussing this topic with Crimzy, You on the other hand have turned the debate into a who is a better citizen debate. It has moved away from gun control and turned into, I am better than you. Fine, you are better than me from your percpective. I can live with that.

darthtang aw

Link please...or did the mystery party you speak of have other minors at it? Minors not under legal guardianship of the home owner.
That story states the parents were sleeping and the children were drinking unsupervised. The parents of many of those students weren't at the party either. This story is not relative.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/60#post_3505944
Yeah, right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506034
Is he illegally hunting them or illegally shooting them and leaving them for the neighbor's cats to eat as claimed in the other post?
2. The hillside is made of Lime and magnesium....look up what the relevance of that is.
3. The military and Police forces practice drills out in the area regularly. I am sure my ammunition is no where near the amount placed out in the BLM.
5. I enjoyed discussing this topic with Crimzy, You on the other hand have turned the debate into a who is a better citizen debate. It has moved away from gun control and turned into, I am better than you. Fine, you are better than me from your percpective. I can live with that.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506034
So now you're a mineralogist? Makes you wonder what environmental laws you're breaking by dumping all that lead out there. That's why they have gun ranges that are controlled and can gather that lead into a specific area.
Where have you been discussing this topic with crimzy? Your first comment on this thread was your snide little remark about my statement that an AR was a viable hunting weapon. The only "discusion" you had with crimzy was your justification of allowing your kids to shoot firearms, and the monster safe you have to store your cache of weapons in.
Believe me. I know you could care less about the environment. You think global warming is a political farce, our federal lands should be destroyed to suck more oil out of the ground so you can have enough gas to run your Hummer, and your adherance to the three G's - God, Guns, and Guts.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506039
So now you're a mineralogist? Makes you wonder what environmental laws you're breaking by dumping all that lead out there. That's why they have gun ranges that are controlled and can gather that lead into a specific area.
Where have you been discussing this topic with crimzy? Your first comment on this thread was your snide little remark about my statement that an AR was a viable hunting weapon. The only "discusion" you had with crimzy was your justification of allowing your kids to shoot firearms, and the monster safe you have to store your cache of weapons in.
Believe me. I know you could care less about the environment. You think global warming is a political farce, our federal lands should be destroyed to suck more oil out of the ground so you can have enough gas to run your Hummer, and your adherance to the three G's - God, Guns, and Guts.
What environmental law is he breaking? The Demonazi party hasn't outlawed shooting yet.

darthtang aw

I
 What environmental law is he breaking? The Demonazi party hasn't outlawed shooting yet.
I am breaking no environmental or federal law. I researched this before choosing to go shot on BLM land instead of paying to go to a range. All I am required to do is pick up my spent shell casings and any garbage we create that is non biodegradable.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506056
I I am breaking no environmental or federal law. I researched this before choosing to go shot on BLM land instead of paying to go to a range. All I am required to do is pick up my spent shell casings and any garbage we create that is non biodegradable.
So the lead you're shooting into and around this hillside is considered "biodegradable"? You don't think the birds or other wildlife in that area don't try to eat that stuff, not knowing what it is? I remember one ranch I used to go dove hunting on for years that quit allowing shooters on his property because they kept leaving the empty shotgun shells lying everywhere and the cows kept eating them.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506061
So the lead you're shooting into and around this hillside is considered "biodegradable"? You don't think the birds or other wildlife in that area don't try to eat that stuff, not knowing what it is? I remember one ranch I used to go dove hunting on for years that quit allowing shooters on his property because they kept leaving the empty shotgun shells lying everywhere and the cows kept eating them.
Can you site the law that says he can't shoot into the hillside? We can site the laws about your illegal dove shooting. And if your "non redneck" neighborhood is so restrictive they don't allow carports I seriously doubt they allow hicks with bb guns out playin bad bart on the bird population either.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/80#post_3506011
Yea, and I bet you've never owned a BB gun and didn't shoot at the little birdies that were parked in your trees around your neighborhood. "You'll shoot your eye out kid..."
Bionicarm.....I've had more foxhole time and range time than you'll ever see.....It's quite obvious from your stance on guns......and your stuck up nose to everyone.....Your always right.....

2quills

I think Bionic knows better about some of what he say's. Something tells me he just gets a kick out of stirring stuff up. I don't remember seeing anything in our hoa's covenants about guns but I don't think my neighbors would be too happy seeing me playing Ralphy in my backyard where their kids could be outside playing just a stones throw away. And the city might not like it.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506075
I think Bionic knows better about some of what he say's. Something tells me he just gets a kick out of stirring stuff up. I don't remember seeing anything in our hoa's covenants about guns but I don't think my neighbors would be too happy seeing me playing Ralphy in my backyard where their kids could be outside playing just a stones throw away. And the city might not like it.
Most cities include BB guns in shooting bans, let alone HOA's. Of course a friend of mine got his son a long bow for Christmas and he's practicing that in his back yard. That's a lot more lethal than any BB gun I've seen.

darthtang aw

So the lead you're shooting into and around this hillside is considered "biodegradable"?  You don't think the birds or other wildlife in that area don't try to eat that stuff, not knowing what it is?  I remember one ranch I used to go dove hunting on for years that quit allowing shooters on his property because they kept leaving the empty shotgun shells lying everywhere and the cows kept eating them.
Which species of bird digs lead out of a limestone rock hillside. Just curious. Not that I really care. After all, you are much more responsible and upstanding citizen than I am.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506087
Which species of bird digs lead out of a limestone rock hillside. Just curious. Not that I really care.
It wouldn't matter. His next argument will simply be how rain and erosion causes the lead to leach into our rivers and lakes where it poisons helpless bambi. There is no end to it all. We are either going to ban human beings from the face of this planet or we are not. :p

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/100#post_3506087
Which species of bird digs lead out of a limestone rock hillside. Just curious. Not that I really care. After all, you are much more responsible and upstanding citizen than I am.
How much of that lead to you think is embedded? With you shooting at some 35 degree or higher trying to pick off clay targets, you could probably walk out into that field and find pieces of lead lying around all over the place.