So I come home from my vacation....

black cobra

And just about all my snails died. However all my Hermit crabs lived
Some of them have taken over the snail shells as well.
I bought a CUC consisting of 3 Turbo Snails, and 20 Margarita Snails, and 20 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs the day before I left for my vacation to Mexico for a week. I figured it was a bad time to do a CUC RIGHT before I left but my tank was right at that point that it needed it so I said I will just do it.
I left my moon lights on for the week as the only lighting source as I did not want to leave my MH on 24/7 plus I was trying to get rid of my Diatoms (Which I successfully did)

Anyways I will try again with the snails this week since I am home now, but do you think they all died because of the lack of lighting?
Like I said ALL my Hermit Crabs are still alive and munching and they have done a great job!
*** This may not be the right thread so you can move it if needed Mods***

black cobra

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2981544
Could have been an acclimation problem.

Well I drip acclimated them for about an hour and a half. They seemed fine while being acclimated but when I transfered them to the DT they went in there shells and stayed in there shells till I left the next morning

All my water parameters are exactly on par with where they should be.
Ammonia = 0
Trites = 0
PH = 8.2
Alk = Normal
CAL = 460
Temp = 79 Degrees
SG = 1.026

defcon11

After dripping did you float them? Maybe it was a temp shock; it does seem like your tank is a little warm. I keep mine at 76. After drip acclimating something, I float them in a bag for about 30 minutes so that I am sure that the temps are the same.

spanko

IMO your temp is fine. But it is strange that they did not move after you put them in the tank.

black cobra

I did not float them after the drip. They seemed fine and were stuck to my 5 Gallon bucket while acclimating like snails do..... Then when I put them into the DT they just went back in there shells and I never saw them again

dazed2040

I agree with meowzer...I had brought home a bunch of hermits and they went to town on my turbos so I am thinking they were hungry or just wanted a new shell.

black cobra

I just did a search and found that Margaritas are sensitive to higher salinity and higher temps so I probably iced them myself

The Turbo's I just am not sure..... I will try again this week and be a bit more cautious about acclimating them and just take my time.

black cobra

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2981708
I agree with meowzer too, maybe the hermits just got hungry?

I will agree to some extent because now some of the hermits are wearing the Margarita shells now

But for the most part from where I placed the snails when I left and by the time I came back they were pretty much in the same spo
^&

salt life

Originally Posted by BLACK COBRA
http:///forum/post/2981718
I will agree to some extent because now some of the hermits are wearing the Margarita shells now

But for the most part from where I placed the snails when I left and by the time I came back they were pretty much in the same spo
^&
maybe the hermits did a stealth attack before the snails could move?

crypt keeper

If the snails went into shock as you put them in the hermits didnt seek and destroy. They just did what they are ment to do. Clean up decaying dead animals.

U

usirchchris

Hermits are murderers
...unless you just like how they look or just plain think they are cool...I would not add them. JMHO