So it Begins...all 10 feet of it...

ccampbell57

Well as most of you know I have been in the market to upgrade and finalized my purchase of my new big boy tank.
DISPLAY TANK - 120x36x30 (500g) acrylic tank from Tenecor. I got a steal of a deal on this bad boy. It will be an in-wall tank. The left, right, and entire back will be Cobalt blue. I have custom built external overflows being placed on both ends of the tank. Each box will be 20Lx6Wx12D. I have 4 centipede returns being placed along the back for adequate flow.
It was a necessity to have a fish room be built behind the tank. I am planning on having all the good things in the room so that none of my "stuff" is sitting around the house and my wife can finally have our Den bathroom back. More details to come on the fish room as I finalize those plans. All I know is that it will be ventilated and sealed like no tomorrow. The stand will be made out of wood and will be double coated in a latex paint.
FILTRATION...this is the fun part. I will have a 150g custom acrylic Refugium (being delivered in September) and a 180g sump. The 150g will have the live plants (chaeto, etc) and my modded ASM G3 will be skimming that. In the 180g sump, I will be running a modded ASM G5 (that I just picked up today
). This thing is huge! It is about 40" tall and runs two Sedra 9000 pumps. The collection cup is half the size of the G3!!!! In total, my skimming will be rated to around 1100g. I will have 2 return pumps (either Reflo Hammerheads or Barracudas)...decisions, decisions.
LIGHTING - I have purchased 2 Tek 48" HO T5 8x56w units. I will decide about having some Halides thrown in once the tank is up. I will more than likely transfer my VHO super actinics to the big tank as well for more blue.
WATER STORAGE - I am purchasing a 300-350g vertical water storage unit that will contain my RO water and saltwater for my water changes.
LIVE ROCK - I will move over my 300+ pounds of Live rock and will be adding around 200#'s more in the coming months.
STOCKING - I will move over all my current fish. Here is what I will be adding:[list type=decimal][*]Scribbled Angel
[*]Personifer Angel
[*]Bariene Tang
[*]2 male Flame Wrasse, 5 female Flame wrasse
2 Potters angels
Pair of Crosshatch Triggers
Pair of Golden or Tinkers butterflys
[/list type=decimal]
More to come...I have attached a picture of the G5...look how big it is compared to my 180.

bioneck47

awesome cc, I can't wait to see the end result. How are you planning on tieing in the refugium and sump together? Are you just going to have an overflow from your tank to your fuge and then from your fuge to your sump?
Oh, and I also PM'd you in reference to my future trip to hawaii!

R

rcreations

Awesome!
I know what you mean about the bathroom. Right now I'm using the downstairs bathroom for all my water changes, mixing and RO/DI. So guests have to use one of the upstairs bathrooms.

myerst22

Awesome Campbell!!!!!!!!!!
No Clarion or Conspiculatus in the future. You have to get one of those bad boys in a 500. What about the Bandit? Regards, Tim

ccampbell57

The clarion or conspic will come at least a year after the tank gets up and running. I have them in my long term plan, but with the immense cost of finishing the basement, my wife put the cabosh on the super expensive fish out the gate, for a while.
As for the bandit, yes, I forgot that I will be getting another one to pair up my current bandit.

spanko

Squeezing into row too since monk and perfectdark have the front row taken. Sounds like a great project.

aquaknight

Can't wait for more Chris.
Really looking forward to see what goes on with running two skimmers. I've always wondered why more large setups don't employ it. And also, to pick your brain for mintue, why'd you go with two, more or less, same types of skimmers (ASM G's)? Just a little theorem of mine, why not use two different types of skimmers, a venturi and an injection, or a venturi and a beckett, etc, to "cover more bases" and maybe skim out "different types of waste?" Any chance of you maybe turning the G3 into a recirc?

R

regina13

I can't wait for this to come together!
I am more excited about your tank than mine.

A

arlene1995

Your sump and refugium are both bigger than my largest tank! (And I thought my 125 was large...) It sounds like a great project! I will be following along, too!

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2715300
Can't wait for more Chris.
Really looking forward to see what goes on with running two skimmers. I've always wondered why more large setups don't employ it. And also, to pick your brain for mintue, why'd you go with two, more or less, same types of skimmers (ASM G's)? Just a little theorem of mine, why not use two different types of skimmers, a venturi and an injection, or a venturi and a beckett, etc, to "cover more bases" and maybe skim out "different types of waste?" Any chance of you maybe turning the G3 into a recirc?
I was looking into getting a Beckett skimmer, but I have been very happy with my G3. I also got the G5 for a steal! It is originally $600 and I got it for $300 shipped (less than my G3). I think eventually I may get a Volcano skimmer from one of the members at --. Those are beasts.
Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2715369
Sounds sweet . If you need any extra hands let me know .
Mike - you are definitely on my list of people to call when this guy comes in
. There is going to be a lot of moving for this guy.
Originally Posted by kjr_trig

http:///forum/post/2715384
Gonna be a great project....How long a drive is Denver from Phoenix

Kirk - I did the drive in 8 hours
You need to make a special trip up here for tanks ang golf!

bioneck47

A little off subject but thanks cc for your PM reply. I'll definitely keep those spots in mind when I go to Hawaii.

hefner413

Whoa campbell! I missed the start of this thread! Glad to see you getting started! You better take pics of each aspect!
And I'm squeezing in the front row... make room!

isistius

everyone needs to move out of the front row cause i'm setting up camp

this is going to be sweet.
do you have any plans for a frag system in the fish room?