So it Begins...all 10 feet of it...

reefkprz

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2780557
I am also finishing the stand off with a top sheet of 3/4" OSB.

spend the extra $$ and buy advantech instead of OSB. OSB swells horribly when exposed to water and is rough enough that its nearly impossibly to seal correctly. advantech while not completly impervious to water holds up FAR better.

spiderwoman

One of our club reefers is currently setting up his 540g Tenecor. It looks AWESOME. He opted for the metal stand from Tenecor.
How easily will the acrylic scratch or can they treat with anything to prevent scratches?

kjr_trig

Nice update Chris....Be really careful when you are aquascaping the tank, easy to have a rock slip and create a scratch or knick (I speak from experience
). I forgot you already had the G-5...Thats a lot of skim going on between the 2.

A

arlene1995

I might have missed it in an above post, but other than your Potter's Angels and Bandit Angels, what all is going to be in this beast of a tank?

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2780730
One of our club reefers is currently setting up his 540g Tenecor. It looks AWESOME. He opted for the metal stand from Tenecor.
How easily will the acrylic scratch or can they treat with anything to prevent scratches?
I opted out for the metal stand from Tenecor due to the fact that it would come in one piece and due to the fact that when done right, the wood stand is as strong if not stronger. Also, they wanted $3500 for a stand!!!! As for the Acrylic, it is very easy to buff out the scratches. I have a custom 20g reef that i scratched the heck out of and getting the scratches out was very easy. The only way to prevent scratching is to be very careful. It is not as tough as glass. Here is the kicker...if you scratch acrylic you can buff it out. If you scratch glass...there is nothing you can do.
Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2780791
Nice update Chris....Be really careful when you are aquascaping the tank, easy to have a rock slip and create a scratch or knick (I speak from experience
). I forgot you already had the G-5...Thats a lot of skim going on between the 2.

Totally agree about the aquascaping. The good news is that I will have to do all of it from behind now that it is going to be in-wall and there will be no front access. This will limit my interaction with the front panel. I plan on having at least 8-10" of free swimming in front of the rock.
I was originally going to run my modded G3 and then the newly modded G5, but after some thought, I wanted to be able to stock this tank pretty good. So, I figured with the addition of the ~1500g rated AquaC EV-2000 and the ~750g rated G5, I have around 2000-2500g of skimming
I will use the Mag 36 to drive the water to the AquaC.
Originally Posted by Arlene1995

http:///forum/post/2780817
I might have missed it in an above post, but other than your Potter's Angels and Bandit Angels, what all is going to be in this beast of a tank?
Current stock:
1" Potters Ange
3.5" Bandit Angel
10" Emperor Angel
9" Blueface Angel
7.5" Queen Angel
9" Hippo Tang
6.5" Male Blond Naso Tang
8" Naso Tang
5" Niger Trigger
Additional Stock:
(another) Bandit Angel
2 more Potters angels
Scribbled angel
Christmas Island or New Caledona Emperor Juvie
Goldflake angel
6-12 blue/green chromis
2 Male Flame Wrasse and 3 female flame wrasse
and couple more...
Finally, in around 12-18 months after the tank has been up I will put in my ultimate showpiece, either a juvie Conspic angel or a juvie Clarion Angel.
Time will tell.

A

arlene1995

WOW!!! That is going to be AWESOME!!!! Love the stock list, too.

oceanlover

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2781163
The only way to prevent scratching is to be very careful. It is not as tough as glass. Here is the kicker...if you scratch acrylic you can buff it out. If you scratch glass...there is nothing you can do.
How do you buff scratches out of acrylic? Is there a special product or pad? Can you do this while the tank has water (and fish and corals) in it or do you have to drain your tank?
PS This is my favorite thread to follow. I do well to keep my 90 gallon running smoothly and yours is so much bigger!

small triggers

if they are fine scratches you can get the kit that has all different kinds of grades of sandpaper and do it underwater and it wont hurt anything.

ccampbell57

Thats correct. When I bought the tank, they threw in a $200 acrylic care kit that will be used to buff out any scratches inside and out.

stdreb27

I'm soo happy that you are getting to set up your massive fowlr! Dang I miss mine, a reef tank is nice, but just doesn't do it for me like my old fowlr did. I miss my puffer.

R

regina13

I can't see the pic of the juvi conspic! Can you repost it please

EDIT: Never mind! I found it.

bpro32

sorry if I'm hijacking this but can you use any scratch kit when its full of water and fish or are there only certain underwater kits?

holy holy holy holy holy holy holy holy moley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
500 GALLON TANK
ALL THAT IM GOING TO DO IS THIS

i think the most my parents can do(not going to)is 350g

ccampbell57

Well yesterday was a complete bummer. My tank arrived at the house and I was all ready and prepared with movers and equipment to get it into the basement.

Well, when the driver opened up the back of the truck, I was pissed to say the least. The tank was on a couple of beat up skids and it looked like someone was shooting at it with a machine gun.
There were chips all over the bottom and HUGE scratches by the dozen on the underside. Moreover, there was no protective material on the bottom 6" of the tank and it was beat up
!!!
I jumped in the truck and immediately called Tenecor and told them that I was refusing receipt.
Dennis from Tenecor was really great about the whole thing and he said that they would make it right by me. I will be receiving my new tank in around 5 weeks and it will be shipped "right". I will also be recouping the freight fees

I am glad that they were so good about it.
Here are pictures.

redman1221

That is messed up but I am glad your are getting another tank, sucks that you are going to have to wait another 5 weeks to get it.

hefner413

wow, wow, wow! man - in this hobby, there's always something going crazy, isn't there?!
side note - that thing is huuuuge!!