So Mad!!!

D

daniel411

Originally posted by Reef_Magic
but some parents take it way too far :rolleyes:

So I shouldn't "always" be polishing my Ak when I meet my little sisters boyfriends?
Just Kidding, Tizzo made some excellent points.
Besides, if we went with what the world advocates is okay... than we'd be like england and teaching 11-13(?) year old girls how to give ... um.. as a state policy to avoid teen age pregnancy.

T

tizzo

I totally agree with you Reef, But every time a parent sees a little more innosence go, it's like a pang in the gut. So they try to keep it from happening...forcefully.

birdy

I guess I am one of those strict Christian parents also lol, of course my kids are only 1 but I am already thinking about what rules and we will have for dating. I really don't think I will let my kids date until they are 16, there is no reason for it any sooner than that, I remember when I was in high school and there is only one reason to have a boyfriend and it is to make out, you can try to deny it, but that is the fact. My kids can go out in groups or double dates, but to have a serious boyfriend before she is 16 is not going to go over well. So much changes between the ages of 15 and 25 that you don't want to make a decision you will regret. You may say it is only kissing, but believe me kissing leads to many other things at at 14 and 15 you are just not in control of your hormones (shoot my husband is still not in control of his). Me and my husband both made a commentment to stay pure until we were married (very rare these days) and it is one of the best descisions we ever made I don't regret it for one second. Just understand her parents are just trying to protect her from things they know could happen. If you really care for her you need to abide by their guidelines and you should try to show them that you can be trusted.

D

daniel411

Tizzo I really liked that drdino site you mentioned before. If you know any other really good sites like that, would you mind emailing me them? My email is neversummer411@yahoo.com

ross

Thanks for the advice guys....tizzo i think your right. I have talked about it w/ my parents and some friends, and i'm definetly gonna apoligize to her parents, tell them that i know what i did was wrong, because it was against there rules. I hope this all works out...she will turn 15 soon and maybe get some privledges back. I will feel better after i talk to her parents.

D

daniel411

Reef,
If you touch the stove and realize its hot, does it make you a hypocrite for telling a ex. "toddler" you're babysitting not to touch it? No, you've learned from your mistake.. you're not going to do it again-repented from it, and you're telling that "toddler" not to touch it out of love... so they don't need to be "burned" before they learn their lesson.
I'd be interested in knowing whats "to far", the moral boundry's have been stretched beyond the days of... well, cities that aren't around. The sad part is, especially people in like your age range to mine, Birdy, and Tizzo's age range have been brought up in a world where musiv, tv, mainstream culture are tring to trick us into making the unacceptable... seem normal.
Is being the "cool" parent really being a parent? I've deffinately had what would probally be considered "cool" parents... theres a difference between parenting and being like a friend or older brother/sister.

birdy

Very very well said Daniel, I want to be a parent to my child not their friend, but I do agree that there is a line that you have to balance between being so restrictive you cause them to rebel or being so loose you wind up with a 14yr old pregnant daughter.
Even at 1yr old this parenting thing is so tough and I know it will only get tougher, something you young ones wont understand until you have kids of your own. We are just doing our best and we have been in your shoes, and may have some insight you just don't understand yet.

splashed

Man, my parents were super strict, every time they let me do something, I took it a step further, kinda like speeding, Speed limit was 55 I drove 65 now its 70 . . . well here I am doing 80. Old habits die hard. HOWEVER, Ross, I think if she confided in her mom and her mom punished her, well, thats just wrong. She could have sat y'all down and talked to y'all about it or something, but saying no contact, well, thats probably the last time her little girl tells her anything.
I hope it works out for you.

T

tizzo

I am very much involved in my kid's lives, but I am so not the cool parent. I am not their "friend", I am their teacher, instructor, example, etc. But I do remember when I was a teen, and I do not try to raise my kids by my mistakes, I will let them make their own but they will be monitered. The stove example... I told my son "NO, HOT", Then I put my hand on the burner (without him looking) and I turned it on high, when it got to hot for me to touch, I turned it off and acted like I was not watching him and lo & behold... His hand went straight for it. I knew it was hot but he didn't believe me, and he found out for himself, BUT he was being monitored! You can only educate your children, but the final decision will be theirs to make. (Like Eve with that apple thing)

reef_magic

fine, one more comment
i didnt mean be their friend when i said cool parent....i dunno, its hard to explain. prolly a concept that is only the dream of every child

T

tizzo

My kid is very well behaved so I loosened the reigns on him quite a bit, and he says that I'm the coolest mom he knows (compairing to his friend's moms of course). Little does he realize that he worked really hard for me to be this way.

reef_magic

thats OK, you have Flyin' Pigs
low blow

*haha, i saw that post u deleted*
thats right, thats me on top with the hammer

T

tizzo

I didn't mean to be any meaner than you did, but I deleted it. Sorry if I crossed the line.

reef_magic

o geez, sry if that offended you. ask love and melly, thats just my sense of humor, lol (but i thought u were a man seriously, just my first thought when i saw ur name and such, i dunno)

T

tizzo

From how I talk, most say I shoulda been born a guy... Love football, watch ESPN, mentally independant, and I'm the best handy man I know!!