So we can't buy and sell....&

desertdawg

It can be removed, but you have to be able to edit the style sheets to the forum....
Here is the first thing to look for....
[pre]
<div><div style="height:px; width:px;"><script type="text/deferscript">
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gampad/google_service.js">
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
GS_googleAddAdSenseService("ca-pub-8810354328358242");
GS_googleEnableAllServices();
</script></script></div><div style="height:px; width:px;">
<script type="text/deferscript"><script type="text/javascript">GA_googleUseIframeRendering(); GA_googleAddAttr
("forumid", "42");
GA_googleAddAttr("loggedin", "true"); </script></script></div></div> <div id="main-container" class="semi-fluid">
<div id="header">
<div id="header-area">
<a class="header-logo" href="/">Saltwaterfish.com</a>
<div id="header-ad"><div style="height:90px; width:728px;">
<script type="text/deferscript"><script type="text/javascript">GA_googleFillSlotWit
hSize("ca-pub-8810354328358242",
"SaltWaterFish_Forum_728x90", 728, 90);</script></script></div></div>
</div>[/pre]
The Google Adsense stuff is your culprit, I didn't dig to see if there is any other advertising going on, but removing the google stuff is a big start.
Don't worry so much about your google placement, removing the adds creates a faster, cleaner forum, if you still want to keep your page rank on google just allow the search engine bots permission to crawl the forum.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
SWF doesn't want to remove the ads. Its an income source. Many are google ads that are geared toward the type of sites that you, as an individual visit on your computer. Some are actually sponsors.
Anyway, if you don't want to see the ads, then follow this:
In IE
Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted Sites/Sites
type in *.googleadservices.com
add

gemmy

I know I can download an ad blocker for my laptop, but not for my iphone. I also understand that the ads are a source of $. However, we can't mention the competitors on the boards, but we get to stare at their ads on a daily basis.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/388835/so-we-cant-buy-and-sell/40#post_3434826
Have you seen how much I have spent on this site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///t/388835/so-we-cant-buy-and-sell/40#post_3434828
HMMM...I can ask you the same...LOL....
Point missed........I see Tunze logo.....Don't know if the site carries Tunze or not, but if I can save a fellow hobbyist a little cash what's wrong with that.......

If revenue is a big deal make it a pay site, where paying members get extras where non paying members get bare minimums.......

snakeblitz33

Shoot, I would pay to be a premium member if that meant more inbox space in my pm's and access to a buy and sell forum. Lol.

acrylic51

Kinda what I was talking about Seth.....You figure if a yearly subscription or whatever you want to call it....$24-$25.00 and you get a more space for pics or whatever.....There are other perks that could be done, and at the same time the people that are willing to pay the extra get what they want and the owners make their cash.....

travelerjp98

I installed adblock plus 2.0.3 for firefox and it blocks all ads on here, facebook, youtube, everywhere! And it makes my internet a lot faster!

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388835/so-we-cant-buy-and-sell/40#post_3455718
Shoot, I would pay to be a premium member if that meant more inbox space in my pm's and access to a buy and sell forum. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///t/388835/so-we-cant-buy-and-sell/40#post_3455766
Kinda what I was talking about Seth.....You figure if a yearly subscription or whatever you want to call it....$24-$25.00 and you get a more space for pics or whatever.....There are other perks that could be done, and at the same time the people that are willing to pay the extra get what they want and the owners make their cash.....
I agree. It would be great to be able to buy and sell on here.

spanko

You see this comes up from time to time. I myself am happy that there is no selling here. Some of the other sites I belong to have numerous posts on the front page about people selling and buying and to me it is a distraction to the discussions that go on. .

flower

I would pay to be allowed to buy, sell and trade. As it is...we just swap personal info and do it anyway. It's crazy that we have to look at ads on a site that doesn't allow us to even post another sites address. What is the difference if I post a site to Tunze...or they have a huge ad blinking non-stop? I have tried my best to block it but I can't.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
SWF is getting income from these ads posted on the site. Also, some of them are actually ads that represent products sold at SWF. So while its odd to see an occasional ad from another fish site, at least SWF is getting some money for posting the ad.
SWF did attempt to have a selling forum that involved charging a nominal fee, but too few people used it. That was the last ditch effort SWF was willing to make to keep some sort of trade/sell forum. Also, none of the mods were willing to spend an abundance of time and effort to moderate the trading forum, which was mostly an undercover selling forum. It was literally a full time job and then some.
The only reason to consider reinstating any such forum would be to see if more traffic to such a forum would actually generate more sales for SWF. I'm guessing the answer to that is no it doesn't generate more money for the store, since it was tried already and we were told "never again".
I'm going close this topic since SWF has answered this question before. If they change their minds, I'm sure they will let us know.