So who's burning the Koran on the 11th?

reefraff

What amazes me is people who oppose this (I am one) are saying the reason isn't that is wrong to do it. The say it's because people will get killed because of it. Religion of peace?

stdreb27

lol, he's a moron. Biblically speaking, you're supposted to walk in love, and imo that means not doing a giant EFF YOU.

reefraff

I can see where people would be getting fed up with the way the Muslim religion is treated as far as the media (and seemingly our government) goes but disrespecting it isn't the answer either

mrdc

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one seeing this as not the right thing to do!

fishtaco

Just another lunatic who uses religion to control people, luckily there are only about 50 brainwashed people attending his church, except now the press has gotten ahold of the story and that is exactly what this guy wants.

Now, if he goes through with this, I can easily see a devote Muslim taking offense and killing this guy, then we would have a good start for some serious religious violence within our borders. My distrust of all organized religions remains.

Fishtaco

pezenfuego

By doing this we are just showing them how greatly they have impacted our society. Using some empathy, I would probably be more flattered than angry by this which is all the more reason to NOT do it.

stdreb27

Now (I don't think this is this guys intention) but if he were using this to make a political statement, equating this to say, the giant eff you that building a mosque at ground zero. Now that would be a different story. I do find it ironic, that obama has a problem with this, but not the mosque (which imo is equally as offensive).

wangotango

From the article; "We understand the general's concerns, we are taking those into consideration," Jones was quoted saying. "We feel it's maybe the right time for America to stand up. How long are we going to bow down? How long are we going to be controlled by the terrorists, by radical Islam?"

Does anyone else feel like we've been taken over and need to reassert ourselves? I know I don't.

"Images of the burning of a Koran would undoubtedly be used by extremists in Afghanistan -- and around the world -- to inflame public opinion and incite violence," Petraeus said. "Were the actual burning to take place, the safety of our soldiers and civilians would be put in jeopardy and accomplishment of the mission would be made more difficult."

One step forward, two steps back. I don't think everything's going to go to hell if this takes place, but seriously...

reefraff

I'm maybe changing my mind on this just a little. If this is a demonstration against the ground zero mosque it makes more sense to me, not that I condone it but.... I am sure people who lost family at the trade centers feel the same way about that mosque being built there, where their family was murdered in the name of Islam as Muslims will feel at the sight of the Koran being burnt.

S

smartorl

Ok, my point of view, I lost a cousin at the WTC.

First, it's not a mosque at ground zero, it's a community center that happens to have the equivalent of a "chapel", similar to what you would find at almost any hospital in the US. When you actually do the research and quit relying on our new media who is constantly trying to whip everyone to a frenzy it's not a disrespectful or "f" you act. There were many Muslims, innocently there working along with everyone else who were killed.

Second, as much as I initially wanted to hate all Muslims, Muslims didn't kill our citizens, terrorists who happened to be of the Muslim faith did. Muslims who were in fact, discounted by the true Islamic leaders because had they been true Muslims, they would not have been in strip clubs, etc as the terrorists did.

Just as we have religious zealots here who use faith to commit acts of violence (bombing of abortion clinics, murder of the staff, picketing soldiers deaths, killing gays, blacks, etc) it would stand to reason that every faith would have their fair share.

What turned my thought process around was finding out that my neighbors were Muslim, I had no idea, however, the wife was the one who brought dinner to my family for three weeks when I had emergency surgery out of kindness. The husband is the one who organized a bike drive for the kids here living in group homes. Over and over they they have given to our community.

Finding out only about 8 months ago that they are Muslim was strange to me, was I supposed to negate all their positives because of their chosen faith (which by the way, they have never discussed, likewise, I never discussed my religious views either) and hate them? It opened my eyes and made me question my feelings.

No group religious, race, sex, etc taken to extremes is a good thing.

bionicarm

So turn this around. If a group of Muslims held a King James Bible burning, what would be the response?

soviettaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th#post_3306910
Ok, my point of view, I lost a cousin at the WTC.

First, it's not a mosque at ground zero, it's a community center that happens to have the equivalent of a "chapel", similar to what you would find at almost any hospital in the US. When you actually do the research and quit relying on our new media who is constantly trying to whip everyone to a frenzy it's not a disrespectful or "f" you act. There were many Muslims, innocently there working along with everyone else who were killed.

Second, as much as I initially wanted to hate all Muslims, Muslims didn't kill our citizens, terrorists who happened to be of the Muslim faith did. Muslims who were in fact, discounted by the true Islamic leaders because had they been true Muslims, they would not have been in strip clubs, etc as the terrorists did.

Just as we have religious zealots here who use faith to commit acts of violence (bombing of abortion clinics, murder of the staff, picketing soldiers deaths, killing gays, blacks, etc) it would stand to reason that every faith would have their fair share.

What turned my thought process around was finding out that my neighbors were Muslim, I had no idea, however, the wife was the one who brought dinner to my family for three weeks when I had emergency surgery out of kindness. The husband is the one who organized a bike drive for the kids here living in group homes. Over and over they they have given to our community.

Finding out only about 8 months ago that they are Muslim was strange to me, was I supposed to negate all their positives because of their chosen faith (which by the way, they have never discussed, likewise, I never discussed my religious views either) and hate them? It opened my eyes and made me question my feelings.

No group religious, race, sex, etc taken to extremes is a good thing.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Which makes me want to ask how many people here who are against the "community center" being built actually personally know someone who is a Muslim, as in you talk to them on a regular basis? Don't give me some jerk around answer, just answer yes I do or no I do not.